The Need for Concision and Clarity on the Philosophy Forums

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Aristocles
Premium Member

Re: The Need for Concision and Clarity on the Philosophy For

Post by Aristocles »

I am aspiring to be more concise. Some of these posts helped with that aspiration. Some parts were contradictory to things I value more. I have been forced to learn social media communication. I have learned the hard way all capital letters are offensive. I have learned rote reason can feel good when juxtaposed with an emoji. I have you all to thank for improving my concision, diction, language expression, emotional distortion, rational inconsistency, and social entertainment. I appreciate you most as philosophical partners.
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Post by Renee »

I think you went on too long.

Your clarity was lost in overexplaining your point.

Lastly, I wish there were logic involved, in addition to the four points you insist on to include in philosophical discussions on these forums.
Cirrus
New Trial Member

Post by Cirrus »

The seed post of this thread contains some good advice, and following it would help develop some valuable skills. For what it's worth, from the perspective of a newbie, it would be handy if the post included a summary, i.e. a condensed list at the start or end, to make the suggestions clear to the reader, who could then keep them clearly in mind while reading the details of their rationale. I've noticed that other members have posted here that they'd like to develop skills such as concision and clarity. Another idea/suggestion: Some way of providing feedback on posts would be an excellent way of both helping members improve their writing as well as encouraging improvement of the quality of the writing we contribute to the site, by better meeting the standards outlined in this thread.

By the way, the need for an additional rule about overusing metaphors says a lot about the kinds of members on these forums! It's hilarious, and I probably need to be told this as much as anyone. I'll do my best, and take it as a sign that I'm in the right place. :)
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Scott wrote: ....make your post as concise and clear as possible.

Agreed.

-- Updated April 26th, 2016, 9:11 am to add the following --

Agreed.

Ormond wrote:

Agreed.

(Nested quote removed.)
Also, never hit the quote button thinking that it's the edit button!
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

“To clarify thought, to discredit the intrinsically meaningless words, and to define the use of others by precise analysis—to do this, strange though it may appear, might be a way of saving human lives.”—Simone Weil
Typical Simone causing trouble. This woman had a lot of nerve. She didn't realize that if what she suggests were ever adopted in life, much less on an internet forum, it would deny the virtually essential psychological need to BS. This would be intolerable. For example it would destroy the whole Interfaith movement. Without BS, there would be no political correctness. Then where would we be.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Fan of Science

Post by Fan of Science »

I actually left another philosophy forum because there were two users on there who were following me around and making nothing but personal attacks on me, while ignoring the substance of my arguments. Because the administrators did nothing to stop them, and nothing I tried could convince them to leave me alone, I left the group, publicly stating the reason why I left. So, I'm glad to see someone make a specific point about not being personally abusive towards another person when one is engaged in a philosophical debate. It's rare to find any social media forum that condemns such immaturity.
Commonsense2
New Trial Member

Post by Commonsense2 »

Scott,

This is awesome!

Scott wrote:
"....make your post as concise and clear as possible.

Agreed.

Scott wrote:
....make your post as concise and clear as possible.

Agreed.

Ormond wrote:
Scott wrote:
....make your post as concise and clear as possible.

Agreed.

(Nested quote removed.)

Also, never hit the quote button thinking that it's the edit button!"

Not only is this post an example of the quote/edit button troubles you deplore, but furthermore, it is offered with a subliminal sense of humor.
(Alternatively: This post humorously exemplifies its content.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose the subject, "The Need for Concision and Clarity on the Philosophy Forums" is another example of your sense of humor, right?

It could use a taste of its own medicine. I mean, concision employs as few words as possible to convey as much information as necessary. So, I would revise the topic to the following: "Be Concise" (ha!).

Now, that I have had my fun, I am challenging probably all the members and guests who are maybe reading this, to try and make this sentence, i.e. the one that is right here before their eyes, a little more brief, so to speak, but complete in a way that conveys the information in readable fashion if they have some time on your hands.

Maybe that was too easy. Here's a challenge that requires more perspicuity:

Be concise.

-- Updated July 24th, 2017, 4:35 pm to add the following --

I meant try to make the sentence, "Be concise.," more concise.
Hepiaaro
New Trial Member

Post by Hepiaaro »

I think most people here could take a pointer from Steven Pinker.

"Many experiments have shown that readers understand and remember material far better when it is expressed in concrete language that allows them to form visual images..We are primates, with a third of our brains dedicated to vision, and large swaths devoted to touch, hearing, motion, and space. For us to go from “I think I understand” to “I understand,” we need to see the sights and feel the motions. " (Steven Pinker, 2015).

Using an example from these forums. Instead of writing.

The skeptic observation is that there exist scenarios in which our perceptions, or even the very construction of propositions, can be manipulated such that "P is true" is actually false but we can't tell.

Write something like this

Suppose we assume that P is true. A good sceptic will ask: "We assume that P is true, but what if isn't? What if it is actually false, but we can't tell?".
Frewah

Re: The Need for Concision and Clarity on the Philosophy Forums

Post by Frewah »

These are good recommendations and I hope people read your posts. There’s a book, The Elements of Style, that I would recommend. Alas, my spell checker is only aware of Swedish. Metaphores can definitely be overused and I would like to add that if you want something to be understood as a metaphor, you should say do.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Frewah wrote: October 31st, 2018, 6:37 pmMetaphores can definitely be overused and I would like to add that if you want something to be understood as a metaphor, you should say do.
Metaphors are inextricably mixed into our languages. We don't even notice them. For instance, rivers do not literally run; they don't have legs with which to do so. This "run" is a metaphor. See Lakoff and Johnson's "Metaphors we live by" for a fascinating journey into metaphor.
Repoman05

Post by Repoman05 »

Excuse me but I think it's really easy for an admin to lecture about being clear and concise when they're the only ones that have access to an edit function. Everyone else has to put up with a dissertation vaporising in a puff of internet code. This makes us either have to post raw thoughts ever few seconds or face the ever looming threat of oblivion.

I do not stand by OP.
Repoman05

Post by Repoman05 »

Proof-reading your posts not only allows you to fix spelling and grammar errors, but it also allows you to make sure it is as clear and concise as possible.
"edit" if you have it, use it maybe? What's more disrespectful: making a mistake, or, continuing to make a mistake.
Repoman05

What is "it"

Post by Repoman05 »

A philosophical question?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Repoman05 wrote:Everyone else has to put up with a dissertation vaporising in a puff of internet code.
If it's going to take a while to write and you don't want to risk losing it, I suggest writing your post in something like Notepad first and then copying/pasting it into the forum. The only problem with that is that you have to write all the square-brackety tags, like the quote tag, manually. But you get used to that.
Repoman05

Post by Repoman05 »

Yeah, I'm in the Philippines on a cheap cell phone. Be glad it turns out as well as it does.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream