What's the meaning of life?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Stoan

Post by Stoan »

Personally: To make your mark (good, bad, etc.) in history.

Physiologically: To reproduce.

Mentally: To keep at it until you discover what it is. (Perhaps never)
kyle_schmidt

Post by kyle_schmidt »

The meaning of life, eh? This is a difficult question indeed. Before i adress it I should define what my view of the word life... A life, at least to me, is a series of interlocking and probably illogical experiences that changes the way we are and therefore has an effect on the universe. If all life is the same, then we can make generalizations about life, but not all life is the same. Plant life is different than animal life and other types of animal life are different from human life, so therefore if we are to make generalizations it would have to be only about human life. But before we can define human life in order to make said generalizations, we must define what it is to be human. I believe that to be human is to have the capacity for good and evil, and to make a concious decsion as to be one or the other, and to accept the conequences of your choices as being of your own making. Using these, we can begin to draw conclusions as to the meaning of human life. If human life is defined as being a series of interlocking and probably illogical experiences that changes a being with the capacity for good and evil that is forced to make concious choices between good and evil and must accept the consequences of said choices, then the meaning of life is to make the correct choices that will lead us down a path of "goodness." Goodness is in quotes due to the fact that good and evil are merely points of view and so are determined by the beholder of said word. Therefore, though life does have a meaning, and that meaning can be generalized, the real meaning of life is for each of us to decide in our own way.
cynicallyinsane

Post by cynicallyinsane »

Stoan wrote:Personally: To make your mark (good, bad, etc.) in history.

Isn't reproduction a part of life? Even if it's not, then what's the point of reproduction?
MyshiningOne

Post by MyshiningOne »

cynicallyinsane wrote:
Stoan wrote:Personally: To make your mark (good, bad, etc.) in history.

Isn't reproduction a part of life? Even if it's not, then what's the point of reproduction?
Some people think that reproduction has no positive
effect on society. They think that we shouldn't bring children into this cruel world.

Weird but true.
It's not what you know that makes
you smart, it's knowing what you don't know.
cynicallyinsane

I've never heard people who say that, but I would believe it. I've heard people say all sorts of crazy things!!!
MyshiningOne

Post by MyshiningOne »

I've known so many people who have said that! I've
even heard it on T.V.!
cynicallyinsane

MyshiningOne wrote:I've known so many people who have said that! I've
even heard it on T.V.!
Oh really what show? When?
MyshiningOne

Post by MyshiningOne »

Most people believe in the very same thing you do.
bellybuttonmonkeypoo

Post by bellybuttonmonkeypoo »

One of the most famous questions of all time and it's abouttime someone finally asked it. This answer is entirly based on what point of view you have religously, If you blieve in a god then for most the meaning of life is to follow gods plan whether you want to or not because he is the one that decides what happens to you if you live or die suceede or fail (like how I fail at spelling). The whole meaning there is to live a good life helping your fellow man, however, if you don't believe in a god then the meaning is a very scattered thing. Maybe it's all destiny and everything in our lives happens for a specific reason,or maybe our entire existance is accendentail. Maybe there is no reason maybe once we die there is nothing after it and everything we had ever done will have been done for no reason. After all our world seems like it's completely under our control but we don't rule anything in our lives. We ARE animals and we just go about life thinking we're all important when we really don't matter in the cosmic sceam. We are so small and only limted (for the moment) to one palnet in the vastness in the universe. If you think of it that way we don't have any particular meaning other than to live. Think about all that coyuld be out there. Life is very very short and no one should waste their life worring if the acomplished their "mission" on earth becuase if they live like that then you miss the whole point of living. When it comes down to it no matter what you believe there is only one meaning and that is to live.
CanisLupus

Meaning

Post by CanisLupus »

The question "What is the meaning of life?" is a general question, not a personal one. It supposes that the answer will be general too. It doesn't ask what the meaning of YOUR life is, nor what makes YOUR life meaningful, it simply wants to know what the meaning of LIFE is.

I have often wondered about this, and I have come to the tentative conclusion that it is simply to remain living. You may say that this is extremely basic, and you would be right, but I think that we as humans are geared as much toward staying alive, and keeping our race alive, as the plant you see in your garden.

Life doesn't care if we are happy, or even comfortable, as long as it remains living. The individual does not matter, the species does.

Having come to this conclusion, my question has changed. I have realized that I have already fulfilled my basic function, since I have procreated and I am rearing my young, but that I would LIKE to be happy as well. I have realized that life doesn't care, but that I do. I do not believe there is a higher spiritual aim in life. I do not believe that we as a human race are moving towards some kind of spiritual destination.

Whatever you do outside your basic function of staying alive, is gravy. If an asteroid strikes today and wipes life off three quarters of the earth, you will not care what color your car was. You will care where your next morsel of food will come from.

We are basically animals with the potential to create our own little world in our minds and realise it in our lives. This changes nothing about our basic nature.

The meaning of life does not concern me anymore. The reality of the world I live in does.

Now I am wondering how one finds out what would make you happy. I am sure the 'what' would be different for everyone, it is the 'how' that may be the same though. Any ideas?
slam32

Post by slam32 »

In my opinion, life is just a very natural thing. It is one part of the world.World is composed by all the living things include human beings and other dinfferent things.The purpose is just to achieve our own value.We are human beings.What we can do is to leave something in the world.
Lao Tzu

Post by Lao Tzu »

most simpily the meaning of life is to survive, as a individual and a species and you have to reproduce to stay alive as a species. So survival and reproduction are at least some of the main meaning in life
pjkeeley

Post by pjkeeley »

Lao Tzu wrote:most simpily the meaning of life is to survive, as a individual and a species and you have to reproduce to stay alive as a species. So survival and reproduction are at least some of the main meaning in life
This makes no sense. You are saying that the purpose of living is to live? A valid reason to do X can't be X, that's begging the question.
Lao Tzu

Post by Lao Tzu »

No I'm not saying the meaning of life is to live. I'm saying that the meaning of life is to continue existence individually and as a species. The meaninng of life isn't to live but to continue it as long as you can.
mayumeeh

Post by mayumeeh »

Meaning of life, for me, is to experience its beauty as well as its bitterness it has to give, and not giving up to whatever bad may come to you.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream