What's the meaning of life?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
froud

Post by froud »

ledzepfan329 wrote:Hi, this is my first time on this site and it looks like it is not too active but hopefully it will pick up. Just so you know, I'm a sixteen year old from Mississippi (please leave all stereotypes out of your jugdement of my character haha, yes we where shoes...). Anyway, here's what I humbly think:

Meaning, in the sense that most people in this thread are conveying which is much like the word purpose, is an elusive term. Any meaning that you assign to human life leads to another question of meaning. Example: The meaning of life is to love God etc....Well, what's the meaning/purpose of loving God? To make God happy. Then what is the purpose of making God happy?
i agree with you because your argumentation is patially and inevitably true
It can go on like this infinitely. So the conclusion I draw is that humans, like all other animals and lifeforms exist because the DNA in our cells exists. The DNA exists because certain chemicals exist, and this goes on back until...The Big Bang??? (not sure where it all leads back)

Now, the distinction between humans and other lifeforms is a very important one, and that is that humans are capable of reason and therefore capable of questioning (or the other way around?). Because humans possess the "instinct" to live and at the same time the ability to question/reason, it is only natural that humans question the purpose of their own existence simply for the fact that humans understand what purpose is. Because we understand purpose, it would be very depressing to accept that we have no purpose other than the purpose we assign to our lives, which could be religion, altruism, peace, etc. I believe though, that this must be the case. If we say that we are apart of some greater plan, then what is the meaning of the plan itself? We very often reject answers like the one I have proposed, but that is really only because our minds (for whatever reason, perhaps evolution?) give us desire for purpose, or desire to do "good".

So, like many people have been saying, the meaning of life is whatever you want it to be. If you have a desire to study philosophy, then fulfill that desire. If your "higher calling" is to help the poor, then go for it. Even if I'm right in saying that there really is no "greater" purpose for our existence, that's not a reason to abandon hopes, dreams, etc.

Wow, that took a long time; I hope someone will read this and leave some ideas that I overlooked haha. peace
nobody

Post by nobody »

froud wrote:
ledzepfan329 wrote:Hi, this is my first time on this site and it looks like it is not too active but hopefully it will pick up. Just so you know, I'm a sixteen year old from Mississippi (please leave all stereotypes out of your jugdement of my character haha, yes we where shoes...). Anyway, here's what I humbly think:

Meaning, in the sense that most people in this thread are conveying which is much like the word purpose, is an elusive term. Any meaning that you assign to human life leads to another question of meaning. Example: The meaning of life is to love God etc....Well, what's the meaning/purpose of loving God? To make God happy. Then what is the purpose of making God happy?
i agree with you because your argumentation is patially and inevitably true
It can go on like this infinitely. So the conclusion I draw is that humans, like all other animals and lifeforms exist because the DNA in our cells exists. The DNA exists because certain chemicals exist, and this goes on back until...The Big Bang??? (not sure where it all leads back)

Now, the distinction between humans and other lifeforms is a very important one, and that is that humans are capable of reason and therefore capable of questioning (or the other way around?). Because humans possess the "instinct" to live and at the same time the ability to question/reason, it is only natural that humans question the purpose of their own existence simply for the fact that humans understand what purpose is. Because we understand purpose, it would be very depressing to accept that we have no purpose other than the purpose we assign to our lives, which could be religion, altruism, peace, etc. I believe though, that this must be the case. If we say that we are apart of some greater plan, then what is the meaning of the plan itself? We very often reject answers like the one I have proposed, but that is really only because our minds (for whatever reason, perhaps evolution?) give us desire for purpose, or desire to do "good".

So, like many people have been saying, the meaning of life is whatever you want it to be. If you have a desire to study philosophy, then fulfill that desire. If your "higher calling" is to help the poor, then go for it. Even if I'm right in saying that there really is no "greater" purpose for our existence, that's not a reason to abandon hopes, dreams, etc.

Wow, that took a long time; I hope someone will read this and leave some ideas that I overlooked haha. peace
To do good and Evil my learned friend with shoes. And for hope and dreams, I would leave them as they are, and, just live.
Abiathar

Post by Abiathar »

To-wit...

The meaning of life, mabye, is to question the meaning of life, possibly, in doing so advancing your unification with the rest of the atomic structure of everything else, sort-of.

When one asks, what is the meaning of life, for a brief moment as even the most mundane of minds brings to bear the tool of philosophy, they will have thoughts beyond their normal scope of rationality or ability. In this, in some tiny way, the universe as a whole will be slightly more energized by alpha/beta waves. Though gentle and very very subtle, as with most things our universe over, the tiniest of spark can mean more than the big bang itself (ref: see Quantum Fluctuations).

In this, the meaning of life is that the universe lives and grows, and the continuity behind it.
Wilmar

Post by Wilmar »

Life has no intrinsic meaning --- that is, a meaning that inheres in it separate and apart from the human it inhabits. We come into this world only with our mammalian instincts, which are mainly to survive and later to procreate. On the day of that entry we have no purpose, no explanation for living beyond fulfilling those basic needs.

We are born --- no, more accurately thrown --- into a universe that cares nothing for whether we are in it nor not. We have no control over the timing of that entry, nor little control over what unforeseen and even undeserved fate (disease, automobile accident, etc) may befall us.

Whatever else we decide to do, other than fulfilling our basic needs, as a purpose or meaning for our lives is learned. Existence does precede essence. Thus whatever meaning life has is only that each of us gives it. Some, through the choices they make and through the passion with which they pursue those choices, find life rewarding and fullfilling, full of purpose and meaning. Others, through the choices they make --- or fail to make --- find themselves overwhelmed by the cold and indifferent universe. Unable to find a purpose or meaning for life, they drift into lawlessness, into drugs, and even into suicide.

Whichever course each of us takes to find the meaning of life is an individual choice. Good luck.
Abiathar

Post by Abiathar »

Meaning of life:
Constructs created of organic compounds, basic requirement being self reproduction, though other requirements include such things as the manifestation of waste, consumption of energy, metabolism...

Wait, wrong question?
"I aspire to say in ten sentences what one would say in a novel... and would not say" ~Nietzsche
Samhains

Post by Samhains »

Wilmar wrote:Life has no intrinsic meaning --- that is, a meaning that inheres in it separate and apart from the human it inhabits. We come into this world only with our mammalian instincts, which are mainly to survive and later to procreate. On the day of that entry we have no purpose, no explanation for living beyond fulfilling those basic needs.

We are born --- no, more accurately thrown --- into a universe that cares nothing for whether we are in it nor not. We have no control over the timing of that entry, nor little control over what unforeseen and even undeserved fate (disease, automobile accident, etc) may befall us.

Whatever else we decide to do, other than fulfilling our basic needs, as a purpose or meaning for our lives is learned. Existence does precede essence. Thus whatever meaning life has is only that each of us gives it. Some, through the choices they make and through the passion with which they pursue those choices, find life rewarding and fullfilling, full of purpose and meaning. Others, through the choices they make --- or fail to make --- find themselves overwhelmed by the cold and indifferent universe. Unable to find a purpose or meaning for life, they drift into lawlessness, into drugs, and even into suicide.

Whichever course each of us takes to find the meaning of life is an individual choice. Good luck.
Unable to find a purpose or meaning for life?

The meening of life is purpose...
everything has a purpose and is connected to the circle, the cycle, it is sacride, no one can escape it. The tree can not decide to stop producing oxegen or consuming carbons any more than the fish can decide to stop swimming. The bees are made to pollinate flowers, as flowers are ment to feed bee's. Each thing does not have a single purpose but multipial and infinite possible purposes, as in bee's make honey, and flowers produce medicians..as well.

Humans have a purpose as well, and all though one may or may not find a "personal reason" for existance, you as a human have purpose, and it is the reason you are.

Perhaps humans are here to simply produce plastic for the planet, wanted plastic for its self, didn't know how to get it, so it made us...(See: G.Carlin Youtube) Perhaps our purpose is to discover new worlds and learn how to inhabit them, make them inhabitable for others...spred like a virus..perhaps it is both..mabe we are simply here to produce Carbon for the plant life to breath, perhaps they are incontrol of things, and not us.

Either way everything has a purpose and because it does have a purpose on the wheel, the circle...the cycle of things...then this becomes its reason for being, and somethings reason for being is called "purpose".

The meening of life, all life, is purpose.

(in religion and magick there is a way to connect with the divine source, acording to that way this is what they tell me: "that the meening of life is purpose")
"there is no use looking in the box if you do not have the key.
The box is empty and never locked, yet all is in it."
ScaaMOOSE

Post by ScaaMOOSE »

The meaning of life is 42.
Samhains

Post by Samhains »

ScaaMOOSE wrote:The meaning of life is 42.
:)
it has to be purpose, or there is no 'reason' no purpose, so there for the meening of life is purpose.
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

what if the meaning of life is to waste our time debating on what the meaning of life is....
"If there is hope, it lies in the proles." - George Orwell, 1984
Samhains

Post by Samhains »

anarchyisbliss wrote:what if the meaning of life is to waste our time debating on what the meaning of life is....
and these are the minutes we will never get back Anarchyisbliss
mike

Post by mike »

'life' and 'meaning' are concepts. The things they are applied to defy f**king 'purpose'
gimal

Post by gimal »

the meaning of life is just finding a meaning
cbrangwin

Post by cbrangwin »

I am a new member and thought someone might be able to help me with something. I talked to a priest today and he said that fear was a good thing because it helps us know what is important. What do you think this means?
tez

Post by tez »

for the entity which built the cosmos there may be some meaning. but we are just part of the machinery. it is a wonderous machine, and endlessly interesting, but a cog shouldnt expect to have a meaningful purpose beyond rotating as per the machine specification.
tez

Post by tez »

Now, the distinction between humans and other lifeforms is a very important one, and that is that humans are capable of reason and therefore capable of questioning (or the other way around?). Because humans possess the "instinct" to live and at the same time the ability to question/reason, it is only natural that humans question the purpose of their own existence simply for the fact that humans understand what purpose is.
the above is pretty silly.
the cosmos is a machine. its a wonderous and complex machine, and it works brilliantly. its consructed and operates through the application of simple chemistry and physics formulae. to imagine that a particular amalgamation of chemicals and processes, such as a rock, or a human being, will be more immportant to the machine, or will be allowed greater insight into the machines raison det, is taking huge liberties the little logic we have at our disposal. it is subjective nonsense.
rock and man are cogs within the machine, their purpose is to rotate according to the specifications of the machine. nothing more and nothing less.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream