What's the meaning of life?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.

Re: What's the meaning of life?

Post Number:#1066  Postby Belindi » June 5th, 2017, 4:12 am

No, the Christian Gospel is not the only pathway to purification. There are others like Islam and Buddhism. Not all Christians believe Christ is the only way. But he is really good for those who have lost their way.

Regarding the choice of who to help first, I take the pragmatic approach and help whoever is hurting the most first.


I agree that Christian ethics are like ethics of the other main religions, and Humanism. I also agree that Christ is really good for those who have lost their way. This is why Nietzsche disliked Christianity, that it supports and perpetuates loss, death, and disempowerment, whereas it's better to empower lost persons so that they need no supernatural crutch.

The better way to be religious, and Christian, is to regard Christ as the good but helpless one that needs nurturing by men who are brave enough to carry the cross on his behalf.

-- Updated June 5th, 2017, 4:14 am to add the following --

(I omitted that the above quote was from JBH74)
Belindi
 
Posts: 742 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: September 11th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Re: What's the meaning of life?



Become a member for less ads

Already a member? Login
 

Re: What's the meaning of life?

Post Number:#1067  Postby AlistairGrim » June 27th, 2017, 12:02 am

I am invested in a religion, however for the sake of his discussion i will communicate as if otherwise.

Life is temporary. And this futility is extended to all living things.
We can help others, but their existence is temporary.
Therefore we cannot make meaningful changes. Therefore there cannot be a meaning to life.
We can act as though other values give life meaning. Commonly people express kindness to others and decide that as a purpose. That is a comforting thought.

Comforting only.

fundamentally selfless or selfish, nothing has changed.
But we are speaking about the ultimate scheme of the universe. Dividing by infinity we are like ants. Ants do not concern themselves with the grand scheme, only simplistic views.

Perhaps if helping others better the temporary existence of all of us, we just do it. Regardless.
User avatar
AlistairGrim
New Trial Member
 
Posts: 1 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: June 26th, 2017, 11:17 pm

Re: What's the meaning of life?

Post Number:#1068  Postby JamesOfSeattle » June 27th, 2017, 7:11 pm

AlistairGrim wrote:Life is temporary.

Why do you think this? Since the beginning of life on earth (some billion of years ago) life has been here. If we get off this planet there is every reason to believe life will last as long as the universe.
We can help others, but their existence is temporary.


Maybe by helping some others we help ALL others.
Therefore we cannot make meaningful changes. Therefore there cannot be a meaning to life.

That just doesn't follow.
Perhaps if helping others better the temporary existence of all of us, we just do it. Regardless.

Perhaps if helping others betters the chance of life spreading throughout the universe, it will be worth it.

*
User avatar
JamesOfSeattle
 
Posts: 249 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: October 16th, 2015, 11:20 pm

Re: What's the meaning of life?

Post Number:#1069  Postby Tamminen » June 28th, 2017, 2:56 am

AlistairGrim wrote:But we are speaking about the ultimate scheme of the universe. Dividing by infinity we are like ants. Ants do not concern themselves with the grand scheme, only simplistic views.

Yes, we are nothing in front of the allmighty universe that runs its own course and does not care about the tiny accident that we are.

But, on the other hand, each of us is everything there is. Each of us is the universe.

If these pictures are incompatible, I choose the latter.
Tamminen
 
Posts: 121 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: April 19th, 2016, 2:53 pm

Re: What's the meaning of life?

Post Number:#1070  Postby Sayso » July 13th, 2017, 8:10 pm

This is something I've never wondered about for myself. When others pose it, and I end up wondering what the question means. Life has highs and lows, pleasures and pains, satisfactions and frustrations, etc.

When used rhetorically, the question is very often meant to get people to commit to or contribute to some cause...somewhat like "Do you know who you really are?"

So perhaps some posters would elaborate on why they pose the question?
User avatar
Sayso
New Trial Member
 
Posts: 9 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: July 13th, 2017, 3:46 pm

Re: What's the meaning of life?

Post Number:#1071  Postby Belindi » July 14th, 2017, 4:40 am

Sayso wrote:This is something I've never wondered about for myself. When others pose it, and I end up wondering what the question means. Life has highs and lows, pleasures and pains, satisfactions and frustrations, etc.

When used rhetorically, the question is very often meant to get people to commit to or contribute to some cause...somewhat like "Do you know who you really are?"

So perhaps some posters would elaborate on why they pose the question?


Useful suggestion! "Please show me that my life means something!" Or alternatively " Please show me that a good God makes this terrible world somehow ordered!" .

I think that "What's the meaning of life?" embeds the presumption that meanings can be unattached to persons.So the question is not explicit.


Since God is believed by some people to be He Who intends all meanings, " What's the meaning of life?" for those people refers to what God means.

-- Updated July 14th, 2017, 4:42 am to add the following --

Belindi wrote:
Sayso wrote:This is something I've never wondered about for myself. When others pose it, and I end up wondering what the question means. Life has highs and lows, pleasures and pains, satisfactions and frustrations, etc.

When used rhetorically, the question is very often meant to get people to commit to or contribute to some cause...somewhat like "Do you know who you really are?"

So perhaps some posters would elaborate on why they pose the question?


Useful suggestion! "Please show me that my life means something!" Or alternatively " Please show me that a good God makes this terrible world somehow ordered!" .

I think that "What's the meaning of life?" embeds the presumption that meanings can be unattached to persons.So the question is not explicit.


Since God is believed by some people to be He Who intends all meanings, " What's the meaning of life?" for those people refers to what God means.


I think that 'purpose', the verb or the noun, are more explicit words than 'mean' and 'meaning.
Belindi
 
Posts: 742 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: September 11th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Previous

Return to General Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Philosophy Trophies

Most Active Members
by posts made in lasts 30 days

Avatar Member Name Recent Posts
Greta 162
Fooloso4 116
Renee 107
Ormond 97
Felix 90

Last updated January 6, 2017, 6:28 pm EST

Most Active Book of the Month Participants
by book of the month posts

Avatar Member Name BOTM Posts
Scott 147
Spectrum 23
Belinda 23
whitetrshsoldier 20
Josefina1110 19
Last updated January 6, 2017, 6:28 pm EST