What's the meaning of life?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
Post Reply
Kid Stimilus
Posts: 1
Joined: December 2nd, 2007, 11:21 pm

Meaning of life?

Post by Kid Stimilus » December 2nd, 2007, 11:32 pm

Well, theologically I'm sure many of us know that life itself is often viewed as a test of morality. From a strictly biological perspective, a survivalist may say that we live merely to survive....that doesn't sit well with me.

Without driving myself crazy with over analyzation I'd say that life is about being creative and constructive. I don't know where I'd be without artistic expression. However that still leaves such a broad spectrum. All of the world can be considered art it just depends on one's perspective. Everyone has their own method of creation, and there own path to walk in life also. I only hope that I may one day look back and say that I did the best I could creating harmony amongs all existing things, living or deceased.

jon phillips
Posts: 1
Joined: December 3rd, 2007, 3:27 pm

Post by jon phillips » December 3rd, 2007, 3:37 pm

It doesn't follow that a grammatically correct question is a logically correct one. There is no answer that could possibly satisfy this question, maybe we should refine the question a little?

User avatar
strike
Posts: 27
Joined: December 15th, 2007, 2:40 pm
Location: london, Ontario

Post by strike » December 17th, 2007, 12:43 pm

as george carling would say in his stand up, our reason for being here on earth is to create plastic.

is it not possible that we as humans have one purpose and that was to mass produce a material combined of the earths natural resources to create a new raw resource for the earths needs

Henry Detlef
Posts: 20
Joined: December 17th, 2007, 9:00 am

Re: What's the meaning of life?

Post by Henry Detlef » December 17th, 2007, 3:17 pm

cynicallyinsane wrote:What's the meaning of life?

What's the purpose?








--------------------------------------------------


(quote= "HenryDetlef")What's the meaning of life ?


Existence , being , to be , to be in existence .

Or, just look up Heidegger .

------------------------------------------------

What's the purpose ?

(quote=Henry Detlef)
Its the continuity of life,dumbell.




---------------------------------------------

User avatar
strike
Posts: 27
Joined: December 15th, 2007, 2:40 pm
Location: london, Ontario

Re: What's the meaning of life?

Post by strike » December 17th, 2007, 10:18 pm

Existence , being , to be , to be in existence .


that is not a meaning it is a state of being

the meaning could be as simple as the earth needed something so it produced humans to provide it[/quote]

Henry Detlef
Posts: 20
Joined: December 17th, 2007, 9:00 am

Re: What's the meaning of life?

Post by Henry Detlef » December 18th, 2007, 11:45 am

strike wrote:
Existence , being , to be , to be in existence .


that is not a meaning it is a state of being

the meaning could be as simple as the earth needed something so it produced humans to provide it
[/quote]

Sorry, humans have nothing to do with the meaning of
life , they just trying to understand it but having a hard time with it.

The meaning of life is the enjoyment of living (by all creatures,not just humans.)

Henry Detlef
Posts: 20
Joined: December 17th, 2007, 9:00 am

Post by Henry Detlef » December 18th, 2007, 11:51 am

jon phillips wrote:It doesn't follow that a grammatically correct question is a logically correct one. There is no answer that could possibly satisfy this question, maybe we should refine the question a little?



Yea, you are right. Meaning and purpose , kind of just blurrs together.

User avatar
strike
Posts: 27
Joined: December 15th, 2007, 2:40 pm
Location: london, Ontario

Post by strike » December 18th, 2007, 2:28 pm

if we don't have anything to do with the meaning of life why are we alive

we must, in order to have life, have something to do with the meaning of life

User avatar
Samhains
Posts: 193
Joined: December 15th, 2007, 2:56 pm

Re: What's the meaning of life?

Post by Samhains » December 18th, 2007, 2:43 pm

cynicallyinsane wrote:What's the meaning of life? What's the purpose?


The meaning of life is purpose.
The purpose of life is to seek out the God and Goddess, the source and its teachings.

There is pain and pleasure. No good or bad, only life experiences gathered to take back as a wittness to the source who so despartely craves enlightenment on it's own nature.

As far as any personal meaning, this is what is called the personal path, along the path you will find an inner sound and an inner light. Once obtained this is called "seeing into ones own nature"

User avatar
Samhains
Posts: 193
Joined: December 15th, 2007, 2:56 pm

Post by Samhains » December 18th, 2007, 2:44 pm

strike wrote:is it not possible that we as humans have one purpose and that was to mass produce a material combined of the earths natural resources to create a new raw resource for the earths needs


It is very possible, who are we to say other wise, all things are possible with the God and Goddess.

Henry Detlef
Posts: 20
Joined: December 17th, 2007, 9:00 am

Post by Henry Detlef » December 19th, 2007, 4:18 pm

Samhains wrote:
strike wrote:is it not possible that we as humans have one purpose and that was to mass produce a material combined of the earths natural resources to create a new raw resource for the earths needs


It is very possible, who are we to say other wise, all things are possible with the God and Goddess.


Life 50 million years ago , was life without humanity. There was no purpose for the existence of live then ?
I guess it does not matter to religeous believers,
because they was no god or nobody to pray to god.

User avatar
Samhains
Posts: 193
Joined: December 15th, 2007, 2:56 pm

Post by Samhains » December 19th, 2007, 6:15 pm

Henry Detlef wrote:
Samhains wrote:
strike wrote:is it not possible that we as humans have one purpose and that was to mass produce a material combined of the earths natural resources to create a new raw resource for the earths needs


It is very possible, who are we to say other wise, all things are possible with the God and Goddess.


Life 50 million years ago , was life without humanity. There was no purpose for the existence of live then ?
I guess it does not matter to religeous believers,
because they was no god or nobody to pray to god.


Ok let me rephrase it. Life grows, always finds a way to go on, scientifically speaking there is the idea of evolution vs creationisum, vs crystalization.

According to science man evolved into what we are, so there for the purpose...as the purpose of life is purpose, so the purpose of the life pre man was because its purpose was to evolve into man, and the modern planet you see, 90% of medician is taken from planets found in the forest. This is another purpose of the forest, other than to provide O2.

nothing has one purpose everything is connected to everything in the systems of natural science, so what Iam saying is all this is knowledge of the gods, the gods and goddess is all..they did it that way with purpose.

..and purpose is the meening of life.

mattylee
Posts: 1
Joined: January 1st, 2008, 3:46 pm

Post by mattylee » January 1st, 2008, 4:05 pm

I have sought out to believe that each & every one of us that is protypically sought out as a human being, is here for one purpose only. That is to be discovered in whatever their circumstances make them come to seek their fate. Destiny cannot be avoided. One must disvover their life's purpose by, experience, encounter, or suggestive understanding. Whatever dreams are swarming through your brain-stream, more times that not are not going to be meant in reality. Although desires & those aforementioned dreams are what makes us something in this world, Our heavenly father (God; If you believe in Christanity) sends us out on this planet he created to advise us to seek out our respevtive meaningful purpose. I can go on & on about this topic, but I'lll leave it at that. Thank you for my theory.

Marcus Clayman
Posts: 37
Joined: January 3rd, 2008, 4:58 pm

Post by Marcus Clayman » January 3rd, 2008, 8:05 pm

food

fortuna86
Posts: 5
Joined: January 7th, 2008, 4:45 pm

Post by fortuna86 » January 7th, 2008, 4:47 pm

maybe the question one should ask is:

Does there have to be a "meaning of life" in order to enjoy life??

Post Reply