What's the meaning of life?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.

Re: What's the meaning of life?

Post Number:#1036  Postby Greta » March 15th, 2017, 5:40 pm

Hobbes wrote:So rather than surrendering to our innate desire to find patterns where there are none, to assign explanations of the unexplainable to some divine being we cannot witness, why not simply accept that the beauty of life lies in its randomness, in the fact that the future is still up for grabs.

The beauty of chaos only takes you so far and, further, there's no reason to assume that we have perceived all the patterns of reality.

What brings profound meaning to life and, ironically, what also renders life meaningless, is the fact that the worst thing that can happen to each of us is 100% certain of happening. Individuals and groups have different ways of coping with this difficult fact.
Greta
Site Admin

Become a member for less ads

Already a member? Login

Post Number:#1037  Postby Belindi » March 16th, 2017, 6:19 am

Hobbes , who N.B is not to be confused with Hobbes Choice! wrote:

Don’t make the mistake we have seen so many of the previous generation make. Don’t be someone who is alive but never lives. If you have a desire to do something, any interest or talent that keeps you up in the night, dreaming about the future, pursue that dream - hone those talents to perfection. This isn’t about being able to do anything we want, the harsh reality is that everyone is born with flaws that limit what they are realistically able to do achieve in their life. No, this is about doing what you love doing and excel at. There is no reason to settle for mediocrity, no reason to curl up in front of the tv and tell yourself that your dream simply was not meant to be. No one captured the essence of this concept as well as Langston Hughes did, when he wrote : “Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly”.

Yes, but what of steering clear of fanaticism, immorality, and criminality? Do try to bring reason into personal life decisions.
Belindi

Post Number:#1038  Postby Ranvier » March 16th, 2017, 2:01 pm

Setting the deep philosophical tangents aside as for the far reaching grand meaning of life, we can focus on the basic concept of life. One inherent truth about all life is the inherent instinct to survive. In the principle of natural selection, life has diverged into two basic schemes for survival: 1. simple autonomous single cell organisms that multiply efficiently in numbers, with limited struggle in survival of the fittest (competition within species) in virtually uniform biomass ex. bacteria but even more complex insects such as mosquitoes, ants, or locust. 2. the second method is for such single celled organisms to come "together" in cooperation of common purpose as a multicultural complex organism with much more sophisticated mode of reproduction and organization into body systems. Trillions of cells cooperating together as one organism that must compete with other organisms in struggle of the survival of the fittest, evolving a complex mode of reproduction that can't simply rely on a random genetic mutation to introduce variability: ex plants or animals. Humans are clearly in the second category. However, unlike other members of animal kingdom, humans are unique in several ways: no natural predator to select for the "strongest" genes, high level of intelligence that allows to manipulate the environment, and the evolution of consciousness that makes each individual unique. Hence humans are the first and only species thus far with such unique set of conundrums as to find a balance within this new context. Assuming that consciousness is the inevitable consequence of life becoming "better", humanity's immediate meaning of life is to find a balance in purpose of survival. Once we understand that, then it's just a matter of finding a method of how to best accomplish that. Here is an example of human insanity of purpose: we have the knowledge and capability to provide the free energy to all of humanity but our current "purpose" of existence being profit, prevents us from evolving forward. Is profit the best method of "purpose" to ensure the survival of species? With this in mind the polemic about the human purpose becomes very complex, involving Religion and Ethics, Politics, Economy etc.

-- Updated March 16th, 2017, 2:04 pm to add the following --

*Multicellular not multicultural
Ranvier

Post Number:#1039  Postby Rr6 » March 19th, 2017, 8:25 am

Ranvier wrote: Assuming that consciousness is the inevitable consequence of life becoming "better", humanity's immediate meaning of life is to find a balance in purpose of survival.

Fuller states it this way, approximately,... God may have created humans in order to see if mind accessing creatures can exist without destroying the integrity of Universe.....

There exist no guarantees that humanity will pass their exam for continued existence on Earth, also comes from Fuller.

r6
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse
Rr6

Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Post Number:#1040  Postby Ranvier » March 19th, 2017, 2:00 pm

At the risk of appearing ignorant, I should ask more about Fuller. I searched for that "name" but I got many different results. R6, please tell me more about "Fuller" and where can I read his thoughts.
Ranvier

Post Number:#1041  Postby Mark1955 » March 19th, 2017, 2:56 pm

Ranvier wrote:However, unlike other members of animal kingdom, humans are unique... the evolution of consciousness that makes each individual unique. Hence humans are the first and only species thus far with such unique set of conundrums as to find a balance within this new context.

Would you mind explaining why you believe this uniqueness
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Mark1955

Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post Number:#1042  Postby Ranvier » March 19th, 2017, 5:32 pm

Other animals are capable of "revenge", as with mistreated dog or an elephant. However, only humans are capable of hate, spite, or jealousy. This is also in the context of human capability to manipulate our environment, no other animal on the planet can destroy all life with one push of a button.
Ranvier

Post Number:#1043  Postby Rr6 » March 19th, 2017, 6:23 pm

Ranvier wrote:At the risk of appearing ignorant, I should ask more about Fuller. I searched for that "name" but I got many different results. R6, please tell me more about "Fuller" and where can I read his thoughts.

R. Buckminister Fuller....there is only one. 1895 - 1982

In his last book Cosmography he recounts his meeting with Einstein about Fullers remarks--- referencing Einstein ---in Fullers first book 4D Timelock.

r6
Rr6

Post Number:#1044  Postby Ranvier » March 20th, 2017, 5:19 am

Thank you r6. I've always appreciated different minds and the uniqueness of other's thoughts, although it's refreshing to find others from the past or present that share one's own perception.
Ranvier

Post Number:#1045  Postby Belindi » March 20th, 2017, 6:08 am

Ranvier wrote:

Is profit the best method of "purpose" to ensure the survival of species? With this in mind the polemic about the human purpose becomes very complex, involving Religion and Ethics, Politics, Economy etc.

" the polemic " (my underline) . Which polemic ? Whose polemic?

You have asserted that human beings are top predators , the only species that knows what 'meaning' means, and that our primary motive is profit.

Does life own a meaning , Ranvier, or do we ourselves as individuals and as societies create meaning?

f the latter, what meaning ought we to create and why?
Belindi

Post Number:#1046  Postby Rr6 » March 20th, 2017, 8:22 am

Ranvier wrote:Thank you r6. I've always appreciated different minds and the uniqueness of other's thoughts, although it's refreshing to find others from the past or present that share one's own perception.

Your most welcome Ranvier. I think few, to none, feel as you do, in my regards around here, and if so it is on very little occasion.

No problem thos, because the truth is still truth irrespective of their ability to recognize it, acknowledge and accept it as truth. imho.

Can you imagine a world where spoke the truth, in regards to Trump or others of his ilk/like?

The meaning of human life is to discover that we live in a finite, occupied space Universe, that, is embraced by macro-infinite, non-occupied space--- and the finite subset ----and that both are complemented by that with which we make these discoveries and that is metaphysical-1, mind/intellect/concepts and communicate them to self and others.

123, ABC thats how easy Universe/God can be. Sung to M Jackson and jackson 5 tune.

r6
Rr6

Post Number:#1047  Postby Woodart » March 20th, 2017, 2:23 pm

Pelegrin_1 wrote:Being hypocritical to myself seems like the most unbearable act.

I agree that being a hypocrite and being aware of it – is painful. Most of us try and avoid inconsistency in our professed principles. And I am sure you are aware that there is a hierarchy to our “professed principles”. At the top of the list is something like – I will not kill people or I will not steal and lie. The list of our principles goes from the most noble to the mundane like – I will not eat candy or I will always wear my seat belt. However we live on a slippery slope in the navigation of our lives. It is relatively easy to be contradictory and compromised in our principles when they are ordinary and humdrum. I think it is fair to say that we all have transgressions from time to time.
Woodart

Post Number:#1048  Postby Ranvier » March 20th, 2017, 4:10 pm

Belindi

1046 posts from different people is a polemic, where many people express their thoughts...

I think that you can answer your own questions. Do you think that we as individuals and as society create meaning? What is in your opinion on the meaning of humanity?

r6

I always enjoy your posts :) And thanks again for the information
Ranvier

Post Number:#1049  Postby Belindi » March 20th, 2017, 4:22 pm

Ranvier wrote:

I think that you can answer your own questions. Do you think that we as individuals and as society create meaning? What is in your opinion on the meaning of humanity?

You are very silly to think :D that I or anyone else can answer that question. I have mere opinions and I was trying to get you to commit yourself to an opinion instead of wittering.
Belindi

Post Number:#1050  Postby Woodart » March 20th, 2017, 7:14 pm

Greta wrote:
What brings profound meaning to life and, ironically, what also renders life meaningless, is the fact that the worst thing that can happen to each of us is 100% certain of happening. Individuals and groups have different ways of coping with this difficult fact.

“What is the meaning of life” begs the question – what is the meaning of death? We struggle our entire lives with the notion and inevitability of death. Death makes us insecure. Why, because we fear the unknown. We want to be able to guide and navigate our lives, but in death and beyond we don’t know if there is a rudder. I think this is a key point because philosophers seem to be an insecure group. Thinkers are aware they do not know. “Ignorance is bliss” has always been true.
Woodart

PreviousNext

Return to General Philosophy