What's the meaning of life?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Marcus Clayman

Post by Marcus Clayman »

fortuna86 wrote:maybe the question one should ask is:

Does there have to be a "meaning of life" in order to enjoy life??
some butthead is gonna say "aren't you implying that enjoyment is the meaning of life"

i sort of agree with you though, but their is a meaning for me, but just like god, dispite the truth of such ideas, they are barriers to experience life for what it is rather than what I imagine it to be, whether meaningfull or enjoyable, pleasant, sorrowfull, they are all imagined values to something which cannot be seperated into enjoyable and boring, devine and earthly... its just Life, with or without meaning, trying to find the meaning of life is not the same as trying to find life, people I think, are overly confident that they already possess life, now wish to understand it through terms rather than through living, unaware that every day is not an aquisition of life, but a loss of life.
fortuna86

Post by fortuna86 »

you are right haha, probably some butthead will imply that "enjoying life" is a goal an sich. can't argue with that

what worries me is that without a real "purpose" people tend to feel bad. they might feel useless, or lonely, or whatever... my vision on this whole thing is, i don't try the find the purpose of my life, i just want to LIVE it!! This is exactly what some people forget to do when searching too hard... and IF there is a purpose for my existence, it believe will reveal itself at the right moment. if not, why would there be a purpose...
Against-Odds

Post by Against-Odds »

In my opinion you can say you have fulfilled your purpose in life if you are very close to the absolution. Perfection and absolution don't exist, but the journey to what means the wholly truth is what makes us understand it. If we end this journey and we reach the top, we will be complied to stagnation. From the top, we cannot go down because we are perfect, and we cannot go up because this is it. We can only lie there. It is supposed that God is the only perfect being. If one single human being would reach perfection there would appear an interest conflict, 2 gods and only one can rule. This means that God would have to destroy the other one. The other one is the man, who cannot reach the top in his life. That are two of the reasons why we can't fulfill our purpose in life (reach perfection as in religion we have to reach salvation). So we have to try, we have to fight and to learn as much as possible and be glad when we die, because that means we have almost won the big prize :D , God's place. (on the other hand we can die stupid, it depends on our preoccupations. I think that a man who does not care about this subject will never think of it, so, my theory applies to every case)
james1951

Post by james1951 »

DanteAzrael wrote:I know how that feels. I did it from around ages 6-17. Then I turned 18 and I started to slowly develop out of it...Or at least begin to get over it. I still find myself sort of in that funk every now and then...but I've learned to battle it off now.

I've always had the outlook that living life is the only meaning to life. I've had it since I was around 14. I've always thought it in those terms and felt that it was most fitting.
That is a fine superficial description. But there is more to life than just living it. There are a million details about this life we are living. A million questions and many possible answers to each question.

WHY LIVE AT ALL. Some people live lives of pain and hopelessness and unhappiness. WHat is the purpose of living such a life. SOme people would rather end their life than life it.

Maslow said there are higher needs of humans that give their lives a purpose. Existence for a human is more than just food shelter and security. It involves the need for love and to love. The needs of self actualization. A PURPOSE. Acheivements. etc.
james1951

Post by james1951 »

Against-Odds wrote:In my opinion you can say you have fulfilled your purpose in life if you are very close to the absolution. Perfection and absolution don't exist, but the journey to what means the wholly truth is what makes us understand it. If we end this journey and we reach the top, we will be complied to stagnation. From the top, we cannot go down because we are perfect, and we cannot go up because this is it. We can only lie there. It is supposed that God is the only perfect being. If one single human being would reach perfection there would appear an interest conflict, 2 gods and only one can rule. This means that God would have to destroy the other one. The other one is the man, who cannot reach the top in his life. That are two of the reasons why we can't fulfill our purpose in life (reach perfection as in religion we have to reach salvation). So we have to try, we have to fight and to learn as much as possible and be glad when we die, because that means we have almost won the big prize :D , God's place. (on the other hand we can die stupid, it depends on our preoccupations. I think that a man who does not care about this subject will never think of it, so, my theory applies to every case)
But I have a feeling that the closer one comes to perfection and absolution themselves they would naturally take on the purpose of helping others achieve this same degree of perfection and absolution.

If misery loves company, how much more should happiness love company?
fortuna86

Post by fortuna86 »

james1951 wrote: Maslow said there are higher needs of humans that give their lives a purpose. Existence for a human is more than just food shelter and security. It involves the need for love and to love. The needs of self actualization. A PURPOSE. Acheivements. etc.
It is true that PEOPLE give a purpose to their lives themselves, but I don't believe that Life itself HAS a reason for existing. It is just something that a lot of people need, because one tries to justify everyting.

Most people want to know the reason for their existence. I say, get over it, you are here no matter what. IF there is a reason for life, you'll probably never find it anyway, so lift your lazy ass and do something with your life instead of worrying why you are here.
Against-Odds

Post by Against-Odds »

That one won't be able to help the others. Assuming there exists such a person, we cannot mix up divinities with mortals. Have you ever heard about somebody who was helped by God to become perfect?
james1951

Post by james1951 »

fortuna86 wrote:
james1951 wrote: Maslow said there are higher needs of humans that give their lives a purpose. Existence for a human is more than just food shelter and security. It involves the need for love and to love. The needs of self actualization. A PURPOSE. Acheivements. etc.
It is true that PEOPLE give a purpose to their lives themselves, but I don't believe that Life itself HAS a reason for existing. It is just something that a lot of people need, because one tries to justify everyting.

Most people want to know the reason for their existence. I say, get over it, you are here no matter what. IF there is a reason for life, you'll probably never find it anyway, so lift your lazy ass and do something with your life instead of worrying why you are here.
Jesus taught that for maximum overall benefit one should make the purpose in their life to love others. To truly love others you must first love truth, I would say because without truly understanding others you cannot love them.
james1951

Post by james1951 »

Against-Odds wrote:That one won't be able to help the others. Assuming there exists such a person, we cannot mix up divinities with mortals. Have you ever heard about somebody who was helped by God to become perfect?
Jesus taught that any one of us could become a son of God, the Spirit of Truth and Righteouness by simply obeying the rules love truth above all else and love others as yourself. Divinity is not a being , it is the practicing the golden rule in the spirit of truth.
nu2dis

Post by nu2dis »

The question 'What is the meaning of Life?' requires a 'pre'-question, if you will. Where did Life come from or how did Life come to be or something along those lines. I believe that by finding the answer to this will inevitably lead to us finding out the true meaning of Life.
I would hope the meaning of Life would be universal, i.e. that it would be the same for all living things and achieveable by all living things. But for this to be, then one has to accept that there is a governing force overseeing the evolution of each of us. For those who want to believe that 'life is fair' then this is the only reasonable explanation.
If you take a look at the worlds major religious forces and how they operate in the eyes of the general public, you could be excused for thinking that they had very different beginings. But if you can be bothered to research how the figures who these religions purport to follow actually lived their lives and what they really taught their disciples you would see the same message being repeated again and again.It is man who has used the religions as a tool to control and attack eachother.
Each Life is nurtured through its' own experiences according to its' own needs and desires in the hope that it will choose to understand rather than deny, accept rather than reject.
14 billion years or so ago there was a void that became more than a void in a split second. Science can teach us much about the past. I have read recently that science and religion are no longer worlds apart, that their view points are converging the more they discover. How did something come from nothing to fill that void? This is the first question that needs answering, then the rest will fall into place!
Against-Odds

Post by Against-Odds »

Jesus taught that any one of us could become a son of God, the Spirit of Truth and Righteousness by simply obeying the rules love truth above all else and love others as yourself. Divinity is not a being , it is the practicing the golden rule in the spirit of truth.[/quote]

We can be sons of God, but not His kind of beings. I am just saying that the purpose of life is becoming better. Better and better means absolution. Absolution means God. We can't be the one and only god, so, to conclude, the purpose of life remains just trying and getting as close as possible to perfection, even if we will never make it.
james1951

Post by james1951 »

nu2dis wrote:The question 'What is the meaning of Life?' requires a 'pre'-question, if you will. Where did Life come from or how did Life come to be or something along those lines. I believe that by finding the answer to this will inevitably lead to us finding out the true meaning of Life.
I would hope the meaning of Life would be universal, i.e. that it would be the same for all living things and achieveable by all living things. But for this to be, then one has to accept that there is a governing force overseeing the evolution of each of us. For those who want to believe that 'life is fair' then this is the only reasonable explanation.
If you take a look at the worlds major religious forces and how they operate in the eyes of the general public, you could be excused for thinking that they had very different beginings. But if you can be bothered to research how the figures who these religions purport to follow actually lived their lives and what they really taught their disciples you would see the same message being repeated again and again.It is man who has used the religions as a tool to control and attack eachother.
Each Life is nurtured through its' own experiences according to its' own needs and desires in the hope that it will choose to understand rather than deny, accept rather than reject.
14 billion years or so ago there was a void that became more than a void in a split second. Science can teach us much about the past. I have read recently that science and religion are no longer worlds apart, that their view points are converging the more they discover. How did something come from nothing to fill that void? This is the first question that needs answering, then the rest will fall into place!
The void does not exist. Nothing exists except our awareness of our existence. We are like a schizophrenic. All that exists is ONE the awareness. NO physical seperate entities or objects. So we have to come to this realization. You and I are a part of the same single awareness that exists. But we have different ideas of how we came to be and what we are and how we should exist.

For example the theory of evolution and creation. We have created those concepts and the physical perception of the proofs of them. Dinosaur bones do not exist. The garden of eden does not exist. ALl that exists is our believe in or perception of them.

Nothing exists. The past is forever gon the future has not arrived. Considering that all we have is the micro nano second between the past and future, what can exist in such a short time?
james1951

Post by james1951 »

Against-Odds wrote:Jesus taught that any one of us could become a son of God, the Spirit of Truth and Righteousness by simply obeying the rules love truth above all else and love others as yourself. Divinity is not a being , it is the practicing the golden rule in the spirit of truth.
We can be sons of God, but not His kind of beings. I am just saying that the purpose of life is becoming better. Better and better means absolution. Absolution means God. We can't be the one and only god, so, to conclude, the purpose of life remains just trying and getting as close as possible to perfection, even if we will never make it.[/quote]

God is not a being. God is a SPirit and we must worship him in spirit and in truth.
We are not beings (we just perceive of ourselves as such) We are Spirits and our spirit must worship the spirit of Truth and Righteousness (God) to find fulfillment and purpose in our existence.
nu2dis

Post by nu2dis »

James1951 said "The void does not exist. Nothing exists except our awareness of our existence. We are like a schizophrenic. All that exists is ONE the awareness. NO physical seperate entities or objects. So we have to come to this realization. You and I are a part of the same single awareness that exists. But we have different ideas of how we came to be and what we are and how we should exist.

For example the theory of evolution and creation. We have created those concepts and the physical perception of the proofs of them. Dinosaur bones do not exist. The garden of eden does not exist. ALl that exists is our believe in or perception of them.

Nothing exists. The past is forever gon the future has not arrived. Considering that all we have is the micro nano second between the past and future, what can exist in such a short time?'[/quote]

As was noted by Scott on the subject of "What if nothing exists" you have no evidence or sound theories to back up this idea you put forward. Even if I accept that the life we lead is a dream and not true reality, the other things in this dream with me are as real as I am. Therefore dinosaur bones exist because I can touch and hold them, other people exist for the same reason, as well as everything else.
Henry Detlef

What life ?

Post by Henry Detlef »

human life

or all life forms ?

I guess the other life forms are not really

existing ?

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream