What's the meaning of life?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
james1951

Post by james1951 »

nu2dis wrote:James1951 said "The void does not exist. Nothing exists except our awareness of our existence. We are like a schizophrenic. All that exists is ONE the awareness. NO physical seperate entities or objects. So we have to come to this realization. You and I are a part of the same single awareness that exists. But we have different ideas of how we came to be and what we are and how we should exist.

For example the theory of evolution and creation. We have created those concepts and the physical perception of the proofs of them. Dinosaur bones do not exist. The garden of eden does not exist. ALl that exists is our believe in or perception of them.

Nothing exists. The past is forever gon the future has not arrived. Considering that all we have is the micro nano second between the past and future, what can exist in such a short time?'
As was noted by Scott on the subject of "What if nothing exists" you have no evidence or sound theories to back up this idea you put forward. Even if I accept that the life we lead is a dream and not true reality, the other things in this dream with me are as real as I am. Therefore dinosaur bones exist because I can touch and hold them, other people exist for the same reason, as well as everything else.[/quote]

I agree with you entirely and I also am a part of this physical perception of reality. I just see other perceptions of reality

And likewise Jesus exists because he also is a part of this story. But just as I know nothing personally about WInston Churchill, only handed down stories I can choose to believe or disbelieve. The same hold true for the character Jesus of the Gospel story.
james1951

Re: What life ?

Post by james1951 »

Henry Detlef wrote:human life

or all life forms ?

I guess the other life forms are not really

existing ?
NOTHING exists. not humans animals planets or the universe
nu2dis

Post by nu2dis »

James1951....please tell me what you see when you see these other realities. I have no problem with accepting there are other realities/dimensions or the idea that all of them are a 'dream state' and nothing exists outside the Force/God/Universe. But to simply imply that 'NOTHING' exists does not tell anyone much about how to live a nothing life on this nothing world. What are you trying to say by your statement that nothing exists? Please expand your idea to how this should affect the nothing world and all the nothings on it and how it fits in with the original question 'What is the meaning of life? Whats the purpose?'rather than just stating nothing exists. Thank you.
james1951

Post by james1951 »

nu2dis wrote:James1951....please tell me what you see when you see these other realities. I have no problem with accepting there are other realities/dimensions or the idea that all of them are a 'dream state' and nothing exists outside the Force/God/Universe. But to simply imply that 'NOTHING' exists does not tell anyone much about how to live a nothing life on this nothing world. What are you trying to say by your statement that nothing exists? Please expand your idea to how this should affect the nothing world and all the nothings on it and how it fits in with the original question 'What is the meaning of life? Whats the purpose?'rather than just stating nothing exists. Thank you.
I spent almost an hour responding only to have HostiCan in furture to be known as HostiCrap erase the response and make it unretreiveable this willl propbably be a shorter version.

If we had electroon microscopes instead of eyes we would perceive ourselves in a whole new way. We woould perceive ourselves as tiny energy particles seperated by enormous empty space. The world we see around us is an ILLUSION. We have no idea what we are or where we came from.

All we believe in is what we have defined into existence.

We are nothing physically. But obviously I think and am self aware therefore I exist on some kind of metaphysical level.

Do you exist? As a part of my own awareness certainly but as a seperate entity, I doubt it.

But believe I am the same as you. We are both seperate entities in a collective consciousness, seperated only because we have different experiences that we are bringing back to the collective.

We need to SHARE these experiences to get a better idea of this existence we share, not argue and fight over the differences in our experience. Not call each other fools and liars when our experiences differ.

Science has shattered my belief in a physical existence. NOw I am seeking the reality of the non physical existence of our awareness.

We wrestle not against flesh and blood but against spiritual wickedness in high places.

We have been cast out of eden and into this physical perception of reality where we experience pain and suffering in a world where there is more than enough food for everyone on this planet mant are left starving. Why? Maybe our priorities are really screwed. We need to come to a higher level of perception in terms of our purpose in this physical perception of reality. If we fix our spirit it will be relected in this physical realm.
nu2dis

Post by nu2dis »

James1951 - As was said earlier, whether this world we live in is a dream/illusion/different dimension, it is still as real to us as life itself is. Science has been able to chase down the line from beings to cells to atoms to protons and electrons to quarks..and it just keeps getting smaller and smaller. They have even been able to watch some of the smallest particles disappear and then re-appear a short time later, but they are not sure if they went to another dimension and back or to another place in this existence and back or if they 'died' and came back. But they are chasing it.
The physical existence is here for us to work through whatever it is we need to work through before we can progress to the 'higher' dimensions. Think of it as a big school, where those who pass the grades move on to the next level, those who don't stay to learn more till they can progress.
We are separated from the Force/God/Universe by our own beliefs/karma/position in life, and we are separate entities with the identical spark of Life inside us. Think of it as a drop of oil encased by a larger drop of water, but the water for each individual is at different stages of purity, therefore making us different from eachother. We need to purify our water as much as we can, then when the Force/God/Universe sees we are truly making an effort it may see fit to show us mercy and give us a helping hand by leading us to the Truths of this existence.
This is a realm of duality by its very nature - light and dark, hot and cold, male and female, rich and poor, good and bad.....etc. This is how it is meant to be so we are forced to look for the greater Truths when we have had enough of this world and its' delights and disasters. Better yourself and move to another realm, as this one has a purpose and if you change this realm you steal the opportunity for others to find the Truths. What really changes is our perception of this realm and how it operates.
Good luck with your seeking of the non-physical reality of this existence, know that there are many of us doing the same thing, and to share our experiences can be most helpful.
james1951

Post by james1951 »

nu2dis wrote:James1951 - As was said earlier, whether this world we live in is a dream/illusion/different dimension, it is still as real to us as life itself is. Science has been able to chase down the line from beings to cells to atoms to protons and electrons to quarks..and it just keeps getting smaller and smaller. They have even been able to watch some of the smallest particles disappear and then re-appear a short time later, but they are not sure if they went to another dimension and back or to another place in this existence and back or if they 'died' and came back. But they are chasing it.
The physical existence is here for us to work through whatever it is we need to work through before we can progress to the 'higher' dimensions. Think of it as a big school, where those who pass the grades move on to the next level, those who don't stay to learn more till they can progress.
We are separated from the Force/God/Universe by our own beliefs/karma/position in life, and we are separate entities with the identical spark of Life inside us. Think of it as a drop of oil encased by a larger drop of water, but the water for each individual is at different stages of purity, therefore making us different from eachother. We need to purify our water as much as we can, then when the Force/God/Universe sees we are truly making an effort it may see fit to show us mercy and give us a helping hand by leading us to the Truths of this existence.
This is a realm of duality by its very nature - light and dark, hot and cold, male and female, rich and poor, good and bad.....etc. This is how it is meant to be so we are forced to look for the greater Truths when we have had enough of this world and its' delights and disasters. Better yourself and move to another realm, as this one has a purpose and if you change this realm you steal the opportunity for others to find the Truths. What really changes is our perception of this realm and how it operates.
Good luck with your seeking of the non-physical reality of this existence, know that there are many of us doing the same thing, and to share our experiences can be most helpful.
I have no problem with anything you have said above.

I am not seeking any non physical reality of this existence. Just suggesting a possible explanation of it. We as humans constantly beg the question. WHat are we and where did we come from and what is our purpose.

I myself after reading the teachings of Christ have seen our purpose reduced to the lowest common denominator.

1. Love Truth and Righteousness above all else.
2. Love others as yourself,

And in reality number 2 is part and parcel of number one.

Lets just enjoy this existence whatever it is.

To do that most efficiently I believe would be achieved by all having a spirit of unity and cooperation and love toward one another.
ptwiger4u

Post by ptwiger4u »

to stay above ground as long as possible.
nobody

Post by nobody »

One could also look for the meaning of death. The meaning of life is esentialy of reproducing ones own kind. Just like the meaning of death is to create room for new lifeforms.
The emotional meaning of life, is relative to each individual.
A simple way to explain the human meaning of life, is for the human to solve problems. And if one does not have a problem to solve, one would have the ultimate problem.
I there is a problem with this observation?
Then I suppose you have a meaning about this observation.
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

I think the meaning of life is beyond our scope and we should concentrate on other things rather than worry about it. You could waste your entire life considering why you are alive and for me at least that wouldn't be good. If I had to guess I would say that life is just a phase that your soul goes through between production and cosmic interaction where it gets to experience different things, almost like a psychic puberty.
"If there is hope, it lies in the proles." - George Orwell, 1984
froud

Post by froud »

affection,aggresion,survival,happiness,make purpose and fulfill are not enough
we need idealism like objectivism
may be we entertain ourselves by sth witch satisfy our desires but it is not meaning of life
accomplishment is a kind of satisfication
nobody

Post by nobody »

The meaning of life. Human or in general?
Meaning of life is in general none exsistant. It's there.
Human existatnce has only meaning what human expects of it's exsitance. What you might ask, "What is my meaning in life"?
In general, for humans, the meaning of life is to solve problems. If a human can not find a problem to solve, then the human has a problem, which can only be solved by creating a new problem.
Do you understand the problem of the meaning of life?
froud

Post by froud »

Stoan wrote:Personally: To make your mark (good, bad, etc.) in history.

Physiologically: To reproduce.

Mentally: To keep at it until you discover what it is. (Perhaps never)
what does it mean?do you think there is an ultimate meaning in life?
froud

Post by froud »

nobody wrote:The meaning of life. Human or in general?
Meaning of life is in general none exsistant. It's there.
Human existatnce has only meaning what human expects of it's exsitance. What you might ask, "What is my meaning in life"?
In general, for humans, the meaning of life is to solve problems. If a human can not find a problem to solve, then the human has a problem, which can only be solved by creating a new problem.
Do you understand the problem of the meaning of life?
it cant be meaning of life. it so humble for the meaning of human life
froud

Re: Meaning

Post by froud »

CanisLupus wrote:The question "What is the meaning of life?" is a general question, not a personal one. It supposes that the answer will be general too. It doesn't ask what the meaning of YOUR life is, nor what makes YOUR life meaningful, it simply wants to know what the meaning of LIFE is.

I have often wondered about this, and I have come to the tentative conclusion that it is simply to remain living. You may say that this is extremely basic, and you would be right, but I think that we as humans are geared as much toward staying alive, and keeping our race alive, as the plant you see in your garden.

Life doesn't care if we are happy, or even comfortable, as long as it remains living. The individual does not matter, the species does.

Having come to this conclusion, my question has changed. I have realized that I have already fulfilled my basic function, since I have procreated and I am rearing my young, but that I would LIKE to be happy as well. I have realized that life doesn't care, but that I do. I do not believe there is a higher spiritual aim in life. I do not believe that we as a human race are moving towards some kind of spiritual destination.

Whatever you do outside your basic function of staying alive, is gravy. If an asteroid strikes today and wipes life off three quarters of the earth, you will not care what color your car was. You will care where your next morsel of food will come from.

We are basically animals with the potential to create our own little world in our minds and realise it in our lives. This changes nothing about our basic nature.

The meaning of life does not concern me anymore. The reality of the world I live in does.

Now I am wondering how one finds out what would make you happy. I am sure the 'what' would be different for everyone, it is the 'how' that may be the same though. Any ideas?
I agree with you completely
nobody

Post by nobody »

Life is life, as a rock is a rock.
The only difference is, a rock will stay stationary without any force acting upon it.
Life, is movement from within the structure. Growth is movement, absorbing ntruients. That is the changes on cell compound structures.
We get the more advanced sort of life. It's movement is more complex.
We get human life. It's movement is also complex. A human structure has a complex neurel network, which is a brain, which has many specialities. When all are working with each other, we have thought.
And that thought has developed into memmory and visualization. Which brings us back to what is the meaning of life.
Really to live and to produce ofspring and die. But with the abillity to think, the human posses a problem, that what must be fulfilled with a solution. if that solution is fulfilled, the human again has a problem. Till death of the human. Then and only then, there will be no more movement within the neurol pathways. No more movent, no more problem.
No more question, what is? the meaning of life????
Simple?

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream