How To Have Productive Philosophical Conversations

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.

Post Number:#46  Postby Cusanus » March 20th, 2011, 2:08 pm

yep Scott is right on a lot of accounts i think the platonic approach or what is known as dialectics is a not just a polite way to address issues but is based on the functionality of the human mind. Take for instance if i were to express my ideas about manifolds and the one and many but concluded the universe was mad out of building blocks i would simply not sort to mud slinging or belittlement. In response i would simply bring out the irony in the argument by which is usually the crux of some ones understanding.
so in response i would ask "is the whole of the universe a building block?" or "are the sum of all the parts equal to a whole?" the first being an open ended question the latter being a "no"("all parts" are not equal to "a whole" by an infinitely small amount). Being humble is usually the best stance when addressing some one it instills a sense of respect and trust and creates a clear mind and space for everyone participating in the conversation with out having to be overly passive-aggressive.
Cusanus
 
Posts: 8 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: March 17th, 2011, 10:34 pm



Become a member for less ads

Already a member? Login
 

Post Number:#47  Postby Welder » March 20th, 2011, 11:05 pm

I disagree....

From what I have experienced in life, people hate confrontation. People want to believe what they already believe. They do not want 'truth'. They do not want their minds 'changed'. They'd rather remain ignorant to 'truth'.

In order to have a "successful" philosophical conversation, one must never ask any questions or call into doubt another's belief-system. People find such questioning and doubting offensive in nature.

In fact, I have never met a person online or in "real life" who hasn't become offended by me and my questioning. But I am still learning the true philosophical art, and that is, Self-Censorship.

One only can engage Philosophy with Oneself, none else.
Welder
 
Posts: 64 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: February 22nd, 2011, 12:42 am

Post Number:#48  Postby Hmmm » March 21st, 2011, 2:43 am

Welder wrote:In fact, I have never met a person online or in "real life" who hasn't become offended by me and my questioning.



That's quite something, Welder. Maybe, one day you'll tell us about those sleepless, stormy, autumn nights of questioning and doubting that you've been doing. Until then, I somehow expect we'll see more of the usual, prosaic and redundant, one word or one sentence "answers" from you.

“Come back and wow us next year.” - Simon Cowell
Hmmm
 
Posts: 73 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: January 5th, 2011, 1:35 am

Post Number:#49  Postby Welder » March 21st, 2011, 2:44 am

Hmmm wrote:That's quite something, Welder. Maybe, one day you'll tell us about those sleepless, stormy, autumn nights of questioning and doubting that you've been doing. Until then, I somehow expect we'll see more of the usual, prosaic and redundant, one word or one sentence "answers" from you.

“Come back and wow us next year.” - Simon Cowell

Simple questions deserve simple answers.
Welder
 
Posts: 64 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: February 22nd, 2011, 12:42 am

Post Number:#50  Postby Cusanus » March 21st, 2011, 11:46 am

Welder wrote:Simple questions deserve simple answers.


what is a physical tensor?......that's a simple question answer away.
Cusanus
 
Posts: 8 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: March 17th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Post Number:#51  Postby Welder » March 21st, 2011, 4:41 pm

I have never heard of "tensor" before.

You tell me.
Welder
 
Posts: 64 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: February 22nd, 2011, 12:42 am

Post Number:#52  Postby Cusanus » March 21st, 2011, 6:25 pm

Welder wrote:
In fact, I have never met a person online or in "real life" who hasn't become offended by me and my questioning. But I am still learning the true philosophical art, and that is, Self-Censorship.

One only can engage Philosophy with Oneself, none else.


the question is did my question offend you? That is what's in question.
Cusanus
 
Posts: 8 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: March 17th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Post Number:#53  Postby Welder » March 22nd, 2011, 1:24 am

Yes, your question did offend me.

I believe all questions (directed toward others) are offensive by definition.
Welder
 
Posts: 64 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: February 22nd, 2011, 12:42 am

lol

Post Number:#54  Postby Pure-logic-book » March 27th, 2011, 5:52 pm

:lol:
IN PHILOSOPHY reduction to the absurd is a must regardless of anybodies beliefs or sensitive nature !

Sorry:
BOOK OF PURE LOGIC.
By: George F. Thomson B.

George.
Pure-logic-book
 
Posts: 5 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: March 27th, 2011, 11:31 am

Re: lol

Post Number:#55  Postby Welder » March 28th, 2011, 5:51 pm

Pure-logic-book wrote::lol:
IN PHILOSOPHY reduction to the absurd is a must regardless of anybodies beliefs or sensitive nature !

Sorry:
BOOK OF PURE LOGIC.
By: George F. Thomson B.

George.

What an underhanded tactic, to promote your "book". Let me guess, you strongly believe in God too, huh?

Just because you arrive at Absurdity does not mean all others do.
Welder
 
Posts: 64 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: February 22nd, 2011, 12:42 am

Post Number:#56  Postby Capricious » June 3rd, 2011, 7:35 pm

HOW TO HAVE PRODUCTIVE PHILOSOPHICAL CONVERSATIONS:

One idea is to disregard anyone who isn't committed to the topic.

Another idea is that at least one trusted participant understands logic.
Capricious
 
Posts: 25 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: May 30th, 2011, 11:22 pm

Post Number:#57  Postby Marko » June 11th, 2011, 7:28 am

Very hard! :D Maybe when you know when you know that opponent intentions with what he wanted to say
Marko
 
Posts: 2 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: June 11th, 2011, 7:20 am

Post Number:#58  Postby Sanchita C » August 7th, 2011, 12:54 pm

I am new to the online philosophy club and only recently have started reading philosophical theories rather intensely. I find your point in the post about asking questions to get to a productive discussion really helpful. I think often we don't ask enough questions because of our ego - we don't want to hear others' point of view and we want to show off our so called intellect and knowledge. I make the same mistake all the time. But I'll try to improve because this is the only to have insightful philosophical discussions. Thanks!
Sanchita C
 
Posts: 9 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: August 7th, 2011, 12:46 am

Re: How To Have Productive Philosophical Conversations

Post Number:#59  Postby Typist » October 19th, 2011, 6:58 pm

Most importantly, you need to listen as well as you can to the other people in the discussion.


This is really another topic, but just a taste. Suppose we listened, not as a means to some other end such as communication or conclusions etc, but embraced listening for itself?

Ironically, if you talk too much, you will have a lot of trouble expressing yourself.


Hmm, not my experience. Talking too much gives me good training for talking too much some more.

Plato's dialogues show how Socrates used questions to have productive philosophical conversations with others.


I like questions!

This may seem obvious, but many people instead try to show off or make their ideas seem stronger by using more complex language.


I LOVE this one! This is my number one complaint with most philosophical writing. People who can, and will, boil it down to street language are my heros.

If the conversation turns into a contest, or if any of the speakers feel angry or offended, it will greatly reduce the philosophical productivity of the discussion. A discussion about philosophy can quickly degenerate into a name-calling, insult-throwing fight.


This is indisputably true. And indisputably important. And trying to sweep this reality under the table is not very good philosophy, imho.

I vote, just one person's vote that's all, it's better to put all the noise on the table, and then talk about it.
Typist
 
Posts: 131 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: October 19th, 2011, 9:17 am

Re: How To Have Productive Philosophical Conversations

Post Number:#60  Postby Groktruth » October 30th, 2011, 5:40 am

I find two sources of profit in these discussions.

1. People raise questions I never considered before, which to answer, forces me to reorganize my thinking.

2. People point me to concepts, quotes, studies that I did not know about, that are quite enlightening to consider. "Chas" for example over at "Is Science true," directed me to a study on train wrecks and intuition, that handily confirms the existence of valid intuitive predictions, and measues how often intuition is used, in some cases.

The heated discussions are cautionary tales, and remind us that we are not just amusing ourselves. Improving philosophical understanding and knowledge has saved lives, and suppressed (because it was painful) philosophical discussion caused untold suffering. Pain is not hurt. It is a warning, that prevents hurt.
Groktruth
 
Posts: 649 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: January 21st, 2011, 7:19 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Philosophy Trophies

Most Active Members
by posts made in lasts 30 days

Avatar Member Name Recent Posts
Greta 162
Fooloso4 116
Renee 107
Ormond 97
Felix 90

Last updated January 6, 2017, 6:28 pm EST

Most Active Book of the Month Participants
by book of the month posts

Avatar Member Name BOTM Posts
Scott 147
Spectrum 23
Belinda 23
whitetrshsoldier 20
Josefina1110 19
Last updated January 6, 2017, 6:28 pm EST