How To Have Productive Philosophical Conversations

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
ape

Post by ape »

ontologic_conceptualist wrote:It is my belief that from what I've seen not just here but many other philosophy sites, remember not to confuse philosophy with psycology, believe it or not, it can get close, but remember no matter what, never judge, just because your personal philosophy sucks does not mean the other persons does & be open minded with an immagination and a great sense of humor, this is philosophy, "What is being", I love listening to others & looking into their souls, even though I feel I am complete on many levels, I always end up learning more about myself & that is fun !!! :lol:
Ape:
Hi O_C,
You are so right! The more complete we are, the more we end up being more complete by what others teach us!

Have you ever thought that there is
the Philosophy of Psychology
and
the Psychology of Philosophy?
Homicidal Pacifist

???

Post by Homicidal Pacifist »

Scott - Was your recent post about appropriate philosophical debate a retort to MY recent posts?
Have I spoken too offensively?
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

It is my belief that philosophers( and also scientists and religionists) ought to be sufficiently post-modern to consider eccentric points of view.

However, I have difficulty distinguishing between eccentric points of view and disruptive tangents.

Any help in this matter gratefully received.
JSBulmer

Post by JSBulmer »

Belinda wrote:It is my belief that philosophers( and also scientists and religionists) ought to be sufficiently post-modern to consider eccentric points of view.

However, I have difficulty distinguishing between eccentric points of view and disruptive tangents.

Any help in this matter gratefully received.
Belinda, all I can offer is that of time and exploration. Delving in to either the eccentric or disruptive will show the underlying meaning. In some instances it does not take much time. Have also found that the disruptive person does not break from habit very often. My advice is only from face to face dialogue, but do believe that similar traits come across in other means of communication as well.

I must say that I appreciate Scott's original posting in an attempt to have productive dialogue. I belong to many forums covering diverse topics and find some of the tone and comments made to stifle dialogue and not encourage it. Encouraging dialogue is my aim as I seek to gain more information to gain more knowledge and hopefully end up with wisdom.

So I say bring on the eccentricity - I love it.

jb
"The lies of today will become the truths of tomorrow"

"If a thought never escapes the mind of the thinker, did it ever exist?"
JPhillips

How to have productive meaningful philosophical discussions

Post by JPhillips »

Scott

I think you have made some excellent recommendations.

I don't know if we can all adhere to all the guidelines because of our different natures. For example, I am guilty of writing long posts. People are reading and responding to many of them, so I must believe. in spite of my admitted shortcomings, some people feel it is worth the time to read and respond to them. There are also some exceptionally intelligent and extremely articulate people who participate in our discussions. I appreciate and welcome their comments. In fact I feel honored that they feel this site is worthy. I also understand people become accustomed to speaking in a certain vernacular when among their own peers. You may be asking a lot in asking them to do otherwise and still make the point in which they are attempting to make. Their discussions may not be meant for everyone. Some of us may have to actually take the effort to look up the definitions of words we don't understand.

The only comments I am concerned about, are those that are personal in nature. Name calling. Innuendos and accusations that imply someone with an opposing view is intellectually inferior. The event of these transgressions have been rare and the derogatory comments have been limited.

I hope I don't seem to critical. I love this site and sincerely appreciate you guys who are the administrators of this site. I encourage you to let us know when you think we are being rude or otherwise disruptive. These are bad behaviors unfitting of a philosopher who truly wants to be objective and fair. In so far as our writing styles, please bear with us. Writing habits are hard to break.
Dougsta

Post by Dougsta »

Very good advice Scott.

JPhillips, Although i agree with your sentiments, i have re-read Scott's advice and find that he is not suggesting forum-users negate the use of complex language, but to do so only when neccessary to make their opinions unambiguous.

I for one, am more than happy to look up the meanings of words i haven't come across. I think this forum is a great learning resource and will no doubt expand anyone's mind, if they give it the chance.

However, in the interests of inclusivity, posts should be made as accessible as possible. This way, there is more opportunity for discussion. Surely, the more people we have reading and thinking on each topic, the more depth we can explore and perhaps be made aware of astonishingly different viewpoints which could be marred/barred by dare i say elitist language.

I hope i haven't caused offence. I did not mean this to be a targeted jibe at any one person. It's only that your post (JPhillips) initiated my thoughts.
JPhillips

Post by JPhillips »

Dougsta

Your comments are not in the least bit offensive. Calling me an idiot would be offensive.

Appreciate your comments.
celebritydiscodave

Post by celebritydiscodave »

For as far as it may be possible my approach is one of first looking to take philosophical suggestion first from a deep analysis of one`s personal life experience in society, for in so doing you are beginning an in depth study of self, and all, or, most of that society. Bt the piling of suggestion onto suggestion the philosophy of people can all be done by this approach, and how else to be novel whilst also in demonstrable truth? - It shouldn`t be enough to borrow our thinking from others, for it shall never be more than just that, borrowed.
My main social contention is over the degree of age discrimination/programming that there is of younger adults over not specifically age, but rather...
Rhiny

Post subject: Yes please.

Post by Rhiny »

I have been on this site briefly, compared to most of you, yet it's been a life-time in some ways because of some personal attacks/criticism via the PM option.

I do my best to forward concepts with attention to spelling (English) and putting forward
topics , that I consider to be of potential interest. I don’t know until, I do.

I am more than capable of introducing esoteric terminology into my presentations and arguments, I
choose however not to do so for the following reason; I am not on this site to write a paper. I am
on this site to have some fun and exchange ideas, listen, comment, listen, forward, listen, comment,
listen and eventually, depending on the subject, surrender or establish a point of view that may help
someone.

This site has enormous potential, it’s a wonderful platform for people of all works of life to engage in
the possibilities of the; perhaps-not-yet-considered, exchange of ideas, or just to comment; the open
ended game of win-win, win-loose, loose-win, but always in the spirit of play done with respect, dignity and the
tolerance of other points of view.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

If someone sends you a rude or personally attacking PM, please forward it to me by copying and pasting it in a new message addressed to me.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Selvan pillay

how to have productive philosophical conversations

Post by Selvan pillay »

This is a very good guideline and I suppose that it could be applied to all types of conversations. I remember seeing a book called Clearer Thinking by author A E Mander which was excellent but cannot locate a copy. Can anyone help?
Selvan pillay

Post by Selvan pillay »

Hi I am new to this forum and wish to thank you for your post and add that this approach could be used for all types of conversations with very pleasing results.
celebritydiscodave

To Ape
There is only psychology of philosophy when the concerned philosophy is not also reality, for there may be more than one absolute truths.
There is only philosophy of psychology when that philosophy is concerned with psychological principal, but never for instinctive truth.
Of society, and of each individual, the more genuine and good instinct to our disposal, the more revealing are our independant thoughts.
My main social contention is over the degree of age discrimination/programming that there is of younger adults over not specifically age, but rather...
Rust

Post by Rust »

I find that often, those who enjoy ruleless and guideless philosophy are those with no way or care to demonstrate what they say.
:twisted: Perhaps it's because we're past the point of trying to explain something you already know.I've never even talked to you but i'm willing to bet that once you've cooled down any philosophy to it's core temperature,you'll find an absolute zero probability of learning anything new.Then again chances are we're insane,that would definitely explain a lack of demonstration on our part,either that or the privilege of witnessing a rope a dope at it's finest on your part.
celebritydiscodave

Rust
I`m trying to respond but your sentences have a very unusual construction - The two of us are past the point of explaining something which I know? If that does make sense(?), surely it`s ment only for you to understand its meaning? What do you mean by guideless philosophy, because that seems an unusual expression? Do you mean philosophy which speaks immediately of truth, rather than taking people on a more gradual journey?, philosophy which isn`t guided, or philosophy which you think cannot be guided? Ruleless "philosophy"(?), a philosopher that might apply more than one set of rules according to the circumstances which the issue presents? It can only mean that, surely? I`m not even sure from this what your considering would qualify as a rule? How do you cool down philosophy to its core temperature? I know that you know what you mean, but to me it`s still only misleading(?) Neither of us are explaining anything, I understand that part, but I suppose I just think that you`ve begun to do a far better job of this than me. I can clarify my last post, or, at least try to.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream