My First Post.-- Diverse Paths

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Amecey

My First Post.-- Diverse Paths

Post by Amecey »

In an unconventional life,you are struggling to survive a torn society. Many times over you will find unhappiness, famine, fear and hatred., Very few of you will find happiness, compassion, and love. With the different paths taken by humanity, all are lucky to survive and prosper.
Marabod
Banned

Post by Marabod »

Welcome on board! I agree that diversity within some specie certainly increases the chance of surviving for the entire specie.
Juice

Post by Juice »

Like to think of it more like "Blessed". I'm happy, in a loving relationship, have God to thank.

I don't believe we have a "torn" society but rather confused, particularly by the anti-human progressive elitist.

In your final statement you make life sound like some sub-human animal struggle, rather than the quest for joy and happiness only humans are endowed with and capable of experiencing, let alone notice when lacking.
When everyone looks to better their own future then the future will be better for everyone.

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason.
C. S. Lewis

Fight the illusion!
Amecey

Post by Amecey »

Today our society is severely confused. It is bringing out the "anamalistic" side of people. It dissapoints me to see people changing due to the lack of physical possesions, money, and control in our society.

Charles Darwin was correct when he said "life is survival of the fittest". It is more present in human society today, than it has been since human civilization has come to be. Everyone is fighting for work, food, and merely there survival. This doesn't include all of our society, but a majority.
Juice

Post by Juice »

Do you know everyone Amecey? You don't know me and I'm not fighting anyone, nor is the "majority" of the people I know! I don't understand what is the point you are trying to put forth. You say "everyone" then go on to say this doesn't include "all of our society", except a majority.

It was Lamarck who coined the phrase "survival of the fittest".

Instead of "having control" in our society maybe it would be best to simply have control over one's self.
When everyone looks to better their own future then the future will be better for everyone.

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason.
C. S. Lewis

Fight the illusion!
reflected_light

Post by reflected_light »

"It dissapoints me to see people changing due to the lack of physical possesions, money, and control in our society."

Amacey, the exact opposite can be said too. (Just take the 'the lack of' out of your statement')

And is it the lack of possesions that drives people to do desperate things? No, it's the fact that some others have so many.
If we all just had what we needed would we despair over other people's posessions? (spouses or children do not count as possesions)

We are a confused society, I agree, the thousand different theories on the purpose and meaning of life make this confusion apparent.

You can blame anti-human progressive elitist, but the cause goes far beyond any group of thinkers, this confusion is a psychological phenomenon, an inability to understand ourselves and our place in the universe.

Those who believe in God, believe they understand, but their shrinking numbers are indicative of a growing doubt.
I am not promoting Atheism, but I think we are on the brink of dispelling old beliefs and traditions and as individuals, not as groups or sects, we are seeking out the truth, cautiously and honestly.

Confusion is good, it means we are asking more questions, demanding more answers, and thinking critically. A path lies beyond this mess, a path that will be easier to follow once we have dispelled the fog of past dogmas, and false beliefs.
Wowbagger
Favorite Philosopher: Peter Singer _ David Pearce

Post by Wowbagger »

Amecey wrote: Charles Darwin was correct when he said "life is survival of the fittest". It is more present in human society today, than it has been since human civilization has come to be. Everyone is fighting for work, food, and merely there survival. This doesn't include all of our society, but a majority.
[my emphasis]

This is completely wrong. The 20th century, even with WWII and Stalinism, has been the most 'peaceful' century in human history. The amount of people dying through another person's hands has never been that low.

We have medicine, welfare states, social benefits, charity and development help for third world countries. Far more could be done, yeah, but it's the first time in the history of life on this planet that genes don't dictate what's happening. Even the weak, the disabled, and the poor have a chance to survive through the help of others.

This world is far from perfect, but seriously get a sense of perspective. Choose any other century and violence, infant mortality and life expectancy, all was worse than now.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream