Do men hate themselves?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
OntheHorizon

Re: Do men hate themselves?

Post by OntheHorizon »

Well done!
There is no evil and the only reason we ever gave in to believing in it was because we are good.
Khanya solvitt

Post by Khanya solvitt »

Ha! Ha! Love it, love it, love it BraveRobin!!

However, I do not think men hate themselves but they are petrified of their frailty/fragility!! In this modern age of science they have become redundant!!! Why? If a selective disease (maybe Men Flu) came and wiped all men out of existence it would not really matter so long as we have a sperm bank or two! If the average ejaculation can produce roughly 49 million sperm, and each sperm was used to make a baby then we do not need men! We could then bring up all new male babies as a "Mother's boy" then I am sure the world would become a kinder place!

If, by the same token, a similar disease (Women Flu) came and wiped out all women then that would be the end of humanity!! So you see how important women are for without them you would not be alive!!

In case you are wondering, no I am not a man hater! Even have one of my own! He is, however, due for retirement soon and so his (financially) productive years as now over, and as I do not want him underfoot at home maybe now is the time to practice the praying mantis theory!! You guys may think that you are tough - but our digestive juices can cope!!!

May God Bless and Save All Men A(wo)men
Mayanka

Post by Mayanka »

Um, I'm sorry, am I supposed to be offended?
Discards
Favorite Philosopher: Hanuman

Post by Discards »

Are you?
To be is to do. To do is to be. Do-be, do-be, do-be, do. - the philosophical importance of Scoobie-do is to Scoobie-be!
Mayanka

Post by Mayanka »

BraveRobin, I should mention I don't get sarcasm.
OntheHorizon wrote: Well done!
I don't get it. There were some good quotes there, which could be food for thought. Even though I do not get how it could be extended to the question of hatred towards self, I'll be willing to consider it, but you either ways didn't respond to any of it So what's well done exactly? Well done as a retaliation? Because it doesn't seem like one to me. I actually read everything with great interest. And I do stand by my topic, so if you are against that, please participate in it and enlighten me.
Discards
Favorite Philosopher: Hanuman

Post by Discards »

BraveRobin wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

No, this was just a copy of what your post because it was very neat.

-- Updated August 28th, 2013, 4:32 am to add the following --

Think you, Khanya Solvitt and OntheHorizon. Discards, what are you asking me? Sorry I don't understand.
Oh! No. I was actually interested if Mayanka did find your post offensive. The question posed was "am I supposed to be offended". So, I was interested if that person was.

No. I found your selection of quotes enjoyable reading. Do men hate themselves? Probably some do. It's more probable that men hate women and women hate men. Or it's likely that men hate men and women hate women. It depends on te person. I doubt you can categorically say that men hate themselves. But on some deep existential level I think everyone enjoys some level of self loathing. On the contrary, I think we can agree that some people in fact really like themselves. And that can be interpreted as pure conceit. But, is tht wrong? Have we been trained to hate our selves? Jesus of Nazareth, a great spiritual leader some would say, endorsed "loving oneself". So, ...
To be is to do. To do is to be. Do-be, do-be, do-be, do. - the philosophical importance of Scoobie-do is to Scoobie-be!
Mayanka

Post by Mayanka »

No, no not at all, I misunderstood. I found your post pretty interssting.
Leonodas

Post by Leonodas »

I find it interesting that this thread received nothing but praise, but then the other one received practically nothing but criticism. Very interesting indeed.
Mayanka

Post by Mayanka »

Leonodas wrote: I find it interesting that this thread received nothing but praise, but then the other one received practically nothing but criticism. Very interesting indeed.
Very nice observation you stated there. Let's philosophise.

The men getting outraged at women being called inferior, and finding the question of men having low self-esteem acceptable, even amusing, I guess, from the first two replies. Also worth noting is that not many arguments have come up for or against the question of men hating themselves.

Maybe it is some deep sense of chivalry, where men feel the need to defend women before they defend themselves. Because not doing so would reinstate the fact that women are inferior, which would go to mean that men do dominate, which wouldn't reflect too well on the men.

But see, not many care as much about themselves being called inferior. Is it because it is very obvious they aren't, or very obvious that they are I wonder.
Leonodas

Post by Leonodas »

^ This is true, and ironically so. By men feeling that they must step up to defend women before themselves implies that women need defending at all, even if the intent is the opposite. If we are truly honest about gender equality, then the concept of male chivalry should be non-existent because women are perfectly capable of handling themselves in any given situation.

People like to have their cake and eat it too, but sadly such a thing cannot, or rather should not be possible if we want to be intellectually honest.
Logic_ill

Post by Logic_ill »

I don't think women or men are always capable of handling each and every situation. I think in many situations, especially those that involve strength, men usually have the upper hand. It doesn't mean that women are not strong enough for some situations, but not all, as some men aren't, but women are less. Either way, women can come up with ingenious ways to cope with their lesser strength and many other things, just as men have.

I love chivalry because I consider myself chivalrous and I am female. I think we should honor, respect and protect one another, regardless of our gender.

I think these gender discussions are good, in order to get a sense of each gender's general experience and for the sake of awareness, but this will vary according to gender, social class, level of education, age, generation, country or culture, etc...

On the other hand, it may promote unnecessary divisions between us. We must remember that we have brothers, sisters, daughters, sons, fathers, and mothers and that we care for all of them, and their well-being. We are all members of the same society and it would be ludicrous to fiercely compete with one another. If we begin to do so, we will make matters worse because then everyone will start pulling their own way, which is not beneficial for a cooperative society.

We have lived and are somewhat still living in a patriarchal society and we need to level the playing field to seek equal treatment and opportunities, but not to make the other fail. We should seek that equality to create a more prosperous intelligent society.

The problem with attaining the abovementioned is that there is a class struggle, so we have been born to compete to be able to have more and enjoy general esteem. So, not only is more women in the workplace mean more competition for men in general, but more competition for the lower and middle classes because it is the upper-classes who have more access to education, connections, resources, and their tendency is to marry one another ;) People with money usually marry people with money, making it more difficult for the poor or middle classes to access the money, although not impossible.

Anyhow, this creates a problem for all of us, whether we believe it or not, because then crime goes up in order to get the money, there will be more poor non working people living on welfare, people who are left with nothing to contribute to society usually end up doing destructive things, etc...
Percepeg

Post by Percepeg »

Mayanka wrote:The men getting outraged at women being called inferior, and finding the question of men having low self-esteem acceptable, even amusing, I guess, from the first two replies. Also worth noting is that not many arguments have come up for or against the question of men hating themselves. Maybe it is some deep sense of chivalry, where men feel the need to defend women before they defend themselves. Because not doing so would reinstate the fact that women are inferior, which would go to mean that men do dominate, which wouldn't reflect too well on the men. But see, not many care as much about themselves being called inferior. Is it because it is very obvious they aren't, or very obvious that they are I wonder.
I think this fact shows that men are more self confident and have a healthy sense of self worth. Women are mostly on the defensive.

No doubt this difference in the genders has come about because for hundreds of years the idea of the inferiority of women both physically and intellectually was accepted and never questioned by either sex.

Things have changed a lot over the past 50 years across a large part of the world but laws can only do so much. Until we can establish a society where men and women can regard each other as allies and friends, rather than opponents, I think we will not have realised the dream.

I have had the pleasure of counting many strong confident people within my circle of friends. Their kindness, humour, common sense and intelligence fill my memories of them. Of course I noticed their gender too (even fancied some of them :) ) but they were all PEOPLE first.

Oh, in case it makes a difference, I’m female.
The Allcomist
New Trial Member

Post by The Allcomist »

Men, or atleast the men that I know and talk to dont hate themselves, and really should'nt. Men and women are naturally supposed to compliment each other. What men lack women bring to the table, and vice versa. Its quite unfair to say men are stupid, just as unfair to say women are weak. If the world was run by women I feel that it would be the same with different problems men would be called upon to balance out. Its all about our genetic chemical make up. However there are exceptions in every circumstance I've met men who are O.C.D. neat freaks and great organizers who couldn't lift a pound, conversely I've met women who are filthy and much stronger than the average male. So I believe men don't hate themselves we just don't have a problem saying we do as you may be able to tell by the other responses in the forum.
Leonodas

Post by Leonodas »

There was a Medieval proverb going something like this pertaining to male-female relations in society: "Same in importance, different in function."

Same goes with the yin and the yang, which has been unnecessarily twisted to fit a more patriarchal society. Men are the white, and women are the black part, having no Western interpretations of the colours of course (ie white is good, black is bad, etc is not relevant here). Basically, without one, there is no other. There must be balance.

I do believe science has discovered that the brain is different depending on whether the person is a male or female. That is, implying that male and females functions are different (obviously) and that each plays a different biological role.

Aside from brain differences, what difference is there really between a man and a woman? Genitalia? Breasts? The fact that someone can easily get a sex change operation today breaks the preconceived notions of gender, although I think few notice or care about these implications. It all comes down to hormones. I guarantee that if you gave a woman testosterone by the bucketload, she wouldn't appear much different than a man. Now I don't know much about artificial injections or hormones or anything like that, but I daresay that she would start spouting the muscles, hair, and deep voice of a man!

There was also another study which stated that more effeminate men had brains which were closer to that of a female brain than a male one. If this holds up, then maybe this is the reason for people being gay -- their brains are hardwired in the other direction! Which also makes sense in the context of the stereotypes regarding gay men being more effeminate and lesbian women being more...butch. Now of course this isn't always true, but you get the point.

It all comes down to biology in the end. I suspect that one day, we will be able to truly understand the differences that certain hormones make in sexual development. I also suspect that in time, our society's notions of gender will be far removed from the traditional perception today.

I contend that aliens will play a part in that, since we'll have to start looking at each other as the same species instead of different gender/race etc. But that's just conjecture at this point.
Mayanka

Post by Mayanka »

I don't have much to add to the argument, because I mostly agree with whatever's been said. I'd just like to add these very interesting instances i read about in some book. They refer to 'gender', and how it really is a social construct, and how it really doesn't have to be the way it is.

Usually in hunter-gatherer societies, man is the hunter and woman the gatherer, because she is required to stay closer to the house to take care of her children. ANd also it is believed that hunting would hamper women's fertility. But the Agta Negrito tribe functions very differently. Here the women themselves hunt, and at the same time take care of their children. They take the role of men, and there is no question of it affecting their fertility (in other words their femininity).

In the Tahiti community, there is no word for "gender", or separate pronouns for "he" and "she". They are a peaceful community, and there are plenty of resources where they live. So no one (men) has to play the role of the defender, provider, or protector. Men do not feel the need to assert their masculinity or superiority here, and everyone is considered equal.

Then there are some communities in North America, Africa where there is a third and fourth gender. A man-woman (A woman who takes on the characteristics of a man) and a woman-man (a feminine man). THese two genders are very easily accepted, and also they do not have any allusion to the sexuality of these individuals. A woman-man may just as well be heterosexual. These communities are subject to respect because they, unlike many parts of our sad societies, have given consideration to those who may not be very comfortable with the roles society inflicts on them because of their biological sex.

So there you go Leonodas. It if in fact possible without aliens! Who'd have thought.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream