What is the nature of beauty? Is symmetry a scientific explanation?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
growthhormone

What is the nature of beauty? Is symmetry a scientific explanation?

Post by growthhormone »

The mystery of beauty has been bewildering us for a long long time. It seems to be a illusion. So many explanations have been proposed yet non of them fit all forms of beauty. It is elusive. At present, the most well known explanation is the "Symmetry theory". Is this the right answer?
Namelesss

Re: What is the nature of beauty? Is symmetry a scientific explanation?

Post by Namelesss »

growthhormone wrote: January 5th, 2018, 2:57 am The mystery of beauty has been bewildering us for a long long time. It seems to be a illusion. So many explanations have been proposed yet non of them fit all forms of beauty. It is elusive. At present, the most well known explanation is the "Symmetry theory". Is this the right answer?
That, upon which the eye of Love falls, the Beloved, is always seen as 'beautiful'!
Unconditional Love/Enlightenment only sees the Beloved, the Beauty!

The conditional eye of the ego sees 'pretty' and 'very pretty', and out of ignorance/lack of actual experience/Knowledge of unconditional Love/Enlightenment, mistakes 'very pretty' for 'beautiful'!
'Conditional' Love is all about the "why"; because you have firm boobs, beautiful eyes, slender... whatever... which means that when the boobies are no longer as firm, the eyes getting older and wrinkles, etc... the 'reason' for the Love is gone.
That's the conditional 'love' of the thoughts/ego.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

It is transcendental, beauty, that is; as is ethics. They belong in the same basket.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

growthhormone wrote: January 5th, 2018, 2:57 am The mystery of beauty has been bewildering us for a long long time. It seems to be a illusion. So many explanations have been proposed yet non of them fit all forms of beauty. It is elusive. At present, the most well known explanation is the "Symmetry theory". Is this the right answer?
You need to be more specific about what your concept of beauty entails. I doubt very much that a symmetry theory is "at present, the most well known explanation". In fact, modern aesthetics generally move away from symmetry. And who's looking for symmetry in Wagner or Debussy? For centuries, the Golden Ratio and the Fibonacci series have been used as universal formulas for natural beauty, but they are not inspired by symmetry.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Count Lucanor
You need to be more specific about what your concept of beauty entails. I doubt very much that a symmetry theory is "at present, the most well known explanation". In fact, modern aesthetics generally move away from symmetry. And who's looking for symmetry in Wagner or Debussy? For centuries, the Golden Ratio and the Fibonacci series have been used as universal formulas for natural beauty, but they are not inspired by symmetry.
i think the reference here is to a fairly recent study that showed physical features of people that attract others include include symmetry above others. Pretty obvious that this is not the only feature that counts. I mean, symmetrical gargoyle faces are still unattractive.

But if the question is beauty as such, not just human attractiveness, then the question becomes much more interesting. Claims about something being beauty are, like ethics, claims about absolutes. Very weird: the beauty of this music, this form and color is a different kind of thing from mere states of affairs, as in, grass is green. There is a "goodness" there that cannot be pinned down in the usual factual way. Value is not factual, by Wittgenstein's reasoning. He's right.
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Hereandnow wrote: January 24th, 2018, 12:48 pm
Count Lucanor
i think the reference here is to a fairly recent study that showed physical features of people that attract others include include symmetry above others. Pretty obvious that this is not the only feature that counts. I mean, symmetrical gargoyle faces are still unattractive.
In that case, the OP refers to human beauty, as underpinned by sexual attraction. I think there are plenty studies about that, which show, for example, that the hip to waist ratio is a key indicator of attractiveness in women, as well as the hip to shoulder ratio is a key indicator in men. These are, most likely, innate biological tendencies, but in any case, there's no doubt that socialization interferes in its application. I just read the other day that the small size of penises in ancient Greek statues expressed an aesthetic ideal related to virtues of moderation and rationality.
Hereandnow wrote: January 24th, 2018, 12:48 pm But if the question is beauty as such, not just human attractiveness, then the question becomes much more interesting. Claims about something being beauty are, like ethics, claims about absolutes. Very weird: the beauty of this music, this form and color is a different kind of thing from mere states of affairs, as in, grass is green. There is a "goodness" there that cannot be pinned down in the usual factual way. Value is not factual, by Wittgenstein's reasoning. He's right.
Adopting Kant's view, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, without the beholder being aware of it, so they feel it like an absolute, even though it isn't.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

It's easier to let W. do his own talking. His Lecture on Ethics is short, accessible, and available online. See the part about the great book of facts.
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

The subject, however, is not the fact value of aesthetic (or ethical) judgements, but the nature of such judgements.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Well, the nature of the subject is about facts in the world. Aesthetic judgments are, as with all things, grounded in the experience at hand. In those judgments there is value. All aesthetic judgments are about value. And value is, W. tells us, and he's right, an absolute. W. does not abide by this, of course. Language has its limitations. But our pains and joys of the world are valuative, and their "goodness" or "badness" are not observable, and they do not waver according to circumstance. In their fixity, they are absolute. Value is, hands down, the oddest thing in the universe.
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Hereandnow wrote: January 26th, 2018, 10:01 pm Well, the nature of the subject is about facts in the world. Aesthetic judgments are, as with all things, grounded in the experience at hand.
That is debatable and that's why it matters to inquiry whether aesthetic judgements are grounded and made possible only by experience, or if they are grounded on experience and made possible by innate faculties. That will be the nature of beauty.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

I don't draw a distinction between innate faculties and facts of the world. What lies before me is the world, and this is independent of any discussion about innate faculties, whatever those might be. I take experience, and the "innate faculties" that might reveal themselves therein, to be of a piece. This Van Gogh, Debussy, and so on, I experience as beautiful. All argument proceeds from this and nothing else. The universality of this is so slippery because it is a contrived issue.

The interesting thing about beauty (and all value) is that while the experience is unmistakable (incorrigible) its "goodness" is impossible to pin down. It's like this invisible giveness, wholly unlike,l say, the instrumental good of a violin with tuned strings which are good FOR something else, but not in themselves. Beauty is good in itself.
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Hereandnow wrote: January 27th, 2018, 3:10 pm I don't draw a distinction between innate faculties and facts of the world. What lies before me is the world, and this is independent of any discussion about innate faculties, whatever those might be. I take experience, and the "innate faculties" that might reveal themselves therein, to be of a piece. This Van Gogh, Debussy, and so on, I experience as beautiful. All argument proceeds from this and nothing else. The universality of this is so slippery because it is a contrived issue.

The interesting thing about beauty (and all value) is that while the experience is unmistakable (incorrigible) its "goodness" is impossible to pin down. It's like this invisible giveness, wholly unlike,l say, the instrumental good of a violin with tuned strings which are good FOR something else, but not in themselves. Beauty is good in itself.
What really happens is that this Van Gogh, or that Debussy, or that flower in the garden, appear as beautiful to some, and not beautiful to others. The judgement remains subjective, individualistic, not universal, because what makes the object appear as having such property of beauty comes from within the observer, more than what comes from the object itself. The properties of the object, however, are there, and for the observer the experience and judgement of beauty is expressed as universal: the object IS beautiful. And what comes from the observer has those two dimensions: the innate tendencies and the learned ones.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Count Lucanor:
What really happens is that this Van Gogh, or that Debussy, or that flower in the garden, appear as beautiful to some, and not beautiful to others. The judgement remains subjective, individualistic, not universal, because what makes the object appear as having such property of beauty comes from within the observer, more than what comes from the object itself. The properties of the object, however, are there, and for the observer the experience and judgement of beauty is expressed as universal: the object IS beautiful. And what comes from the observer has those two dimensions: the innate tendencies and the learned ones.
Consider a nonproblematic example of objectivity: the study of the spectrum of a star's light provides data as to the star's composition. Why is this objective, universal, and non individualistic? It is because of the agreement among observers, and this agreement rests with something beyond the inquiring mind standing up repeatedly to observation, some independent X. But the same can be said for the VanGogh: it is the same painting for all, a universally descriptively presence, not unlike that of a star. The difference lies not in the descriptive fact of it, but solely in our responses to it, which vary. Thus, the fixity of the nonproblematic lies, vis a vis the issue here, with the variations of inner states. So: cognition seems fixed, aesthetics in art appreciation does not, and it is this lack of fixity that makes art subjective.

But I have a headache. Is this not an objective fact? No one else observes my headache, yet we do not call such a thing subjective in the judgment that there is a pain, and it is here, in my head. Others do not have the observational vantage point I have,yet no one dismisses the the objectivity of it. Ask a doctor if headaches are real and there will be no question.

Now you could say the headache is real only for me, but this does not diminish one jot the status of the pain: it is just as real as the collective observational data of stars that provides for the objectivity of nonproblematic propositions like the one above.

Beauty is not different.
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Hereandnow wrote: January 27th, 2018, 8:55 pm
Count Lucanor:
Consider a nonproblematic example of objectivity: the study of the spectrum of a star's light provides data as to the star's composition. Why is this objective, universal, and non individualistic? It is because of the agreement among observers, and this agreement rests with something beyond the inquiring mind standing up repeatedly to observation, some independent X. But the same can be said for the VanGogh: it is the same painting for all, a universally descriptively presence, not unlike that of a star. The difference lies not in the descriptive fact of it, but solely in our responses to it, which vary. Thus, the fixity of the nonproblematic lies, vis a vis the issue here, with the variations of inner states. So: cognition seems fixed, aesthetics in art appreciation does not, and it is this lack of fixity that makes art subjective.
That is basically the same I'm saying, except that I highlight the fact that the variations of aesthetic experiences depend on both cognitive and social factors, which converge at the moment of judgement as an expectation (from the individual subject) of "agreement among observers". That's why there's a nuanced distinction between an statement describing my response to the presence of an object ("I like that flower" or "that flower pleases me") and a qualification of that object ("the flower is beautiful"). And given that some biological factors seem to play a role in configuring our perceptions and responses, the subjects might feel justified in their pretensions that certain properties are inevitably tied to certain responses.
Hereandnow wrote: January 27th, 2018, 8:55 pm But I have a headache. Is this not an objective fact? No one else observes my headache, yet we do not call such a thing subjective in the judgment that there is a pain, and it is here, in my head. Others do not have the observational vantage point I have,yet no one dismisses the the objectivity of it. Ask a doctor if headaches are real and there will be no question.

Now you could say the headache is real only for me, but this does not diminish one jot the status of the pain: it is just as real as the collective observational data of stars that provides for the objectivity of nonproblematic propositions like the one above.
By the moment you state "I have a headache" it has ceased to be only a subjective perception of a headache and has become a proposal of an objective fact taking place in your body. Independent observers could analyze data and confirm that effectively you're having a headache as defined in medical literature, or having the body conditions that normally produce a headache in similar subjects.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Count Lucanor:
That is basically the same I'm saying, except that I highlight the fact that the variations of aesthetic experiences depend on both cognitive and social factors, which converge at the moment of judgement as an expectation (from the individual subject) of "agreement among observers". That's why there's a nuanced distinction between an statement describing my response to the presence of an object ("I like that flower" or "that flower pleases me") and a qualification of that object ("the flower is beautiful"). And given that some biological factors seem to play a role in configuring our perceptions and responses, the subjects might feel justified in their pretensions that certain properties are inevitably tied to certain responses.
But I see no difference between liking X (as art, or, aesthetically) and saying X is beautiful, assuming beauty is the response in question for each.

Let's take a look at the fixity, or better, universality. Take the observation of the stars mentioned above. To gather data, one needs the requisite observational tools as well as the the proper cognitive faculties we possess as agencies of scientific inquiry. The entire enterprise rests with this latter. The observer must be properly engaged, educated to record and interpret sensory information; and yes, have a functioning mind/brain. The objectivity rests, in other words, on a community of observers with minds capable of certain types of concrete perception. If one does not share this, one is out of the consensus. But the important point is, this "sharing" is nothing more than agreement between "like-minded" (literally) observers.

As to beauty, some like Beethoven, others despise him. They like rap. But this is no less than belonging to a group of like minded aesthetes, with minds/brains similarly attuned to a kind of music.
By the moment you state "I have a headache" it has ceased to be only a subjective perception of a headache and has become a proposal of an objective fact taking place in your body. Independent observers could analyze data and confirm that effectively you're having a headache as defined in medical literature, or having the body conditions that normally produce a headache in similar subjects.
But how is this at all different from an analysis of the data regarding "I am having an aesthetic experience"? Alas, the medical literature has not yet caught up with aesthetic experiences, their brain chemistry and the rest. But the solid fact of aesthetic rapture is no less a fact.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream