Is it appropriate to correct misconceptions about science?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Geordie Ross
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Re: Is it appropriate to correct misconceptions about scienc

Post by Geordie Ross »

Oh so ropes don't conform to logic? So why are you championing them as a bastion of logic? :roll:

They don't represent ropes, how many times do I have to tell you they're representations of trajectories.

You're the one demanding images of subatomic particles, is it then unreasonable for me to demand images of ropes? Hypocrisy as usual.
The good life is one inspired by love, and guided by knowledge. - Bertrand Russell
Xris

Post by Xris »

Geordie Ross wrote:Oh so ropes don't conform to logic? So why are you championing them as a bastion of logic? :roll:

They don't represent ropes, how many times do I have to tell you they're representations of trajectories.

You're the one demanding images of subatomic particles, is it then unreasonable for me to demand images of ropes? Hypocrisy as usual.

Particles as you have admitted are not logical. So how are you judging EM ropes? When they explain light with a clarity that particles can never do, what is your real objection? Give me 20 billion dollars and fifty years I think I could give a good account of them.

Are those trajectories waves or particles?
Engineer0RQ1
Favorite Philosopher: Descartes

Post by Engineer0RQ1 »

Thanks A_Seagull

You make a very interesting point in post15

Are we balancing degree of "true/trust" when we calm down and think slowly/rationally?

WDYT

-- Updated Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:23 pm to add the following --
Geordie Ross wrote:It has nothing to do with logic or rationality, it's objective reality.

How can Physical Reality be "Objective" when one cannot observe any electromechanical system?

Rgds
Chris

An engineer by philosophy, opinion and action.
DarwinX
Favorite Philosopher: Stephen Hurrell

Post by DarwinX »

Geordie Ross wrote:It has nothing to do with logic or rationality, it's objective reality. It's illogical that two cannon balls of different mass fall at the same rate, does that mean reality is wrong because it doesn't conform to our logic?
Is that your subjective opinion? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Beware! The devil wears the mask of a saint.
Engineer0RQ1

Post by Engineer0RQ1 »

Go DarwinX. :D :( Geordie Ross

Perhaps we also require some "Relative" thinking??? :shock: :? ... :idea:

Rgds
Chris

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross »

Give me a valid reason as to why the universe should conform to our system of logic. It clearly doesn't, quantum mechanics is one of the most accurate forms of physics discovered, yet it breaks the "law" of non-contradiction and the "law" of identity. So what's more likley? Our logic has limits, or observable reality is wrong because it doesn't behave as we expect it to?
The good life is one inspired by love, and guided by knowledge. - Bertrand Russell
Xris

Post by Xris »

Geordie Ross wrote:Give me a valid reason as to why the universe should conform to our system of logic. It clearly doesn't, quantum mechanics is one of the most accurate forms of physics discovered, yet it breaks the "law" of non-contradiction and the "law" of identity. So what's more likley? Our logic has limits, or observable reality is wrong because it doesn't behave as we expect it to?

But you are contradiction yourself. If a concept does not conform to the observation why would you accept it? Simply stating that logic is not applicable is irrational.
DarwinX
Favorite Philosopher: Stephen Hurrell

Post by DarwinX »

Geordie Ross wrote:Give me a valid reason as to why the universe should conform to our system of logic. It clearly doesn't, quantum mechanics is one of the most accurate forms of physics discovered, yet it breaks the "law" of non-contradiction and the "law" of identity. So what's more likley? Our logic has limits, or observable reality is wrong because it doesn't behave as we expect it to?
Only humans can be illogical. Nature is incapable of being that devious. If nature seems illogical, its only because humans haven't worked it out properly. Note - Humans are egocentric creatures that often see themselves as infallible.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Beware! The devil wears the mask of a saint.
Engineer0RQ1

Post by Engineer0RQ1 »

Geordie Ross

DarwinX has gone straight to the point
humans haven't worked it out properly.
It is that simple : Science has shown us three equally valid viewpoints it is just a matter of employing our own inbuilt intellect to determine the fundamental paradigm or truth that lies behind them.

Mathematics cannot do this because it can only define and validate relationships.

Scientists cannot do this because they can only define and validate relationships.

i.e It is up to us all to use our own common sense and frankly the people at CERN do not have it yet. :?

They are still stuck with the Copenhagen Compromise. My message to them would be:

Get over it and then your results will make sense

Rgds
Chris

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross »

Xris wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

But you are contradiction yourself. If a concept does not conform to the observation why would you accept it? Simply stating that logic is not applicable is irrational.
Xris, your the one contradicting yourself by calling observations concepts. You're so desperate for "accepted" science to be wrong, that you're tripping yourself up.

Engineer, Darwin is a conspiracy theorist that think everyone (except himself and his luny fringe hypothesese) are wrong. Also, I've blocked him, thus refuse to read his vapid, insipid posts, as they have no philosophical value other than to stir the cauldron of fecal matter. A.K.A he is a poop stirrer, here to cause arguments with no scientific or philosophical merit.

As for your post, it raises a deeper philosophical question, "can science ever be 'complete', that, in itself deserves it's own topic. But in short, I kind of agree. Science doesn't have all the answers, but the answers it does produce are primarily accurate, and at best, they're incredibly practical, unlike Darwin's "X-Y-Z is a fraud! But I know the real truth!"

I shall reply in full when I'm back in England, I'm using my iPhone with weak wifi in benidorm. You raise strong philosophical questions Engineer, unlike your fellow "scientific skeptics" Xris and DarwinX.

I look forward to a stimulating conversation. :wink:
Xris

Post by Xris »

I look forward to your return. If you have a concept and the observations prove it to be illogical why would you maintain the concept ? Get it now Geordie?
Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross »

The "concept" was built from observations, not the other way round. You expect people to accept Gaedes ropes on face value, yet there is no evidence, no observations, there is nothing. It sounds vaugley logical, yet when questioned its absurd. Are it's vectors identical to those of photons? If they are, they're no discernible difference.

I look forward to getting home, not least because the air con is broke, but I'll be able to follow the links you give unimpeded.

Ps my spell check is poor. Apple only use American spelling
Xris

Post by Xris »

Geordie Ross wrote:The "concept" was built from observations, not the other way round. You expect people to accept Gaedes ropes on face value, yet there is no evidence, no observations, there is nothing. It sounds vaugley logical, yet when questioned its absurd. Are it's vectors identical to those of photons? If they are, they're no discernible difference.

I look forward to getting home, not least because the air con is broke, but I'll be able to follow the links you give unimpeded.

Ps my spell check is poor. Apple only use American spelling
The concept of light was not constructed using observations. You can not see particles. I am not expecting you to believe anything.But you can not argue from a position that accepts even if a concept is illogical it has to be maintained.
Engineer0RQ1

Post by Engineer0RQ1 »

Xris wrote:I look forward to your return. If you have a concept and the observations prove it to be illogical why would you maintain the concept ? Get it now Geordie?
For the same reason as I do Xris: Because it works in practice!!!

I am using a modern microprocessor to talk to you now. It's internal layout has been redesigned using those illogical equations so as to overcome several problems that occur when you build semiconductor substrates this small and surprisingly it now works!!!

This as far as I am concerned proves that the "illogical" equations show a true picture of Reality and therefore we are the ones with faulty logic.

Not only that, I believe there now devices being developed from QM concepts. One being quantum tunnelling diodes /junctions

Makes you think eh?

A.E.Rae's book gives several more examples of how a "dead/alive" cat and other illogical paradigms do seem to give us a clearer view of the workings of our world if you are interested.
Chris

Xris

Post by Xris »

Engineer0RQ1 wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

For the same reason as I do Xris: Because it works in practice!!!

I am using a modern microprocessor to talk to you now. It's internal layout has been redesigned using those illogical equations so as to overcome several problems that occur when you build semiconductor substrates this small and surprisingly it now works!!!

This as far as I am concerned proves that the "illogical" equations show a true picture of Reality and therefore we are the ones with faulty logic.

Not only that, I believe there now devices being developed from QM concepts. One being quantum tunnelling diodes /junctions

Makes you think eh?

A.E.Rae's book gives several more examples of how a "dead/alive" cat and other illogical paradigms do seem to give us a clearer view of the workings of our world if you are interested.
Engineering science does not work using concepts.Measuring the flow of electricity does not incur arguing over the movement of electrons. Lets say for argument that Bill Gaedes ropes are the true representative of how EM radiation transmits energy.Would it really change the technical advances we have observed? If we admitted that the observer does not influence an experiment would your tunnelling diodes not work. If we discovered a hidden variable in the cats box and we knew if it was dead or alive,would science suddenly cease? Defending illogical consequences formed from false concepts can never be defended on the grounds that we have seen certain technical advantages.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream