From Nothing to Something

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Loki753
New Trial Member

From Nothing to Something

Post by Loki753 »

Here is one of my theories relating to something coming from nothing, I hope that you can point out flaws, critique, or build off of it. Well first I must try and explain what nothingness is, to me nothingness consists of the absence of matter, dimensionality (including time) and most importantly the absence of physical laws. So once physical laws and restrictions are void does that not mean that anything is possible? From here I start having problems, why/how would something go from infinitely chaotic to complete and utter stability? I see two paths where this may lead, one being that everything we know to be reality is just one of infinite calculated possibilities (in a mathematical sense). The other, which correlates with the idea of multiverses, is that there are an infinite amount of universes playing out an infinite amount of possibilities. Although, the problems of contradictions and stability keep showing their ugly faces.
Spiral Out

Re: From Nothing to Something

Post by Spiral Out »

Loki753 wrote:Well first I must try and explain what nothingness is, to me nothingness consists of the absence of matter, dimensionality (including time) and most importantly the absence of physical laws.
Sounds pretty good so far.
Loki753 wrote:So once physical laws and restrictions are void does that not mean that anything is possible?
I think that this is where you get tripped up in conventionally limited logic. A true void (real nothingness) has no potential, therefore nothing is possible. Saying anything is possible would indicate a primordial state of something, not a nothingness, or a void.
Loki753 wrote:From here I start having problems, why/how would something go from infinitely chaotic to complete and utter stability?
There is no evidence of conditions that are infinitely chaotic or completely and utterly stable. There are presumably only varying degrees of flux.
Loki753 wrote:I see two paths where this may lead, one being that everything we know to be reality is just one of infinite calculated possibilities (in a mathematical sense). The other, which correlates with the idea of multiverses, is that there are an infinite amount of universes playing out an infinite amount of possibilities.
Both of these are inherently unknowable. Even if there are infinite possibilities, only one of those particular possibilities can exist (be possible) at any given time. If there are other universes then I would have no reason to think that they are any different than this one.

If multiple universes emerge from one singular source then there is no reason to think that they would posses entirely disparate properties in each universe. Why would a uniform source with an established set of physical laws produce wildly differing universes?

If these individual universes are completely discrete then what could possibly create similarities of form without some type of functional "blueprint"?

I wouldn't think that multiple universes would originate from unrelated individual and disparate sources. I would imagine that multiple universes would be required to originate from a singular source. Thus I would also imagine that they would all have the same set of rules and laws since there is no reasonable logic to assume that any single entity can produce universes with contradictory sets of laws.

That's my take on it anyway.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Loki753 wrote: Well first I must try and explain what nothingness is, to me nothingness consists of the absence of matter, dimensionality (including time) and most importantly the absence of physical laws.
It's the absence of physical laws I have a problem with. I don't believe and can't imagine that there can ever be such an absence. It's just that they become much more fundamental meaning Laws that are just as valid for any and all Universes if such actually exist. In short, laws which are the scratch pad for any hypothetical universe out there.

Without "physical laws" is such an absolute negation that nothing can be derived from it. It denotes the kind of "Nothing" never before encountered and if it were it would literally be infinitely more astounding than any multiverse imaginable. Anything which has incipience must have laws from viruses to Universes. How else would any genesis assert itself?
Vijaydevani

Post by Vijaydevani »

Jklint wrote:
Loki753 wrote: Well first I must try and explain what nothingness is, to me nothingness consists of the absence of matter, dimensionality (including time) and most importantly the absence of physical laws.
It's the absence of physical laws I have a problem with. I don't believe and can't imagine that there can ever be such an absence. It's just that they become much more fundamental meaning Laws that are just as valid for any and all Universes if such actually exist. In short, laws which are the scratch pad for any hypothetical universe out there.

Without "physical laws" is such an absolute negation that nothing can be derived from it. It denotes the kind of "Nothing" never before encountered and if it were it would literally be infinitely more astounding than any multiverse imaginable. Anything which has incipience must have laws from viruses to Universes. How else would any genesis assert itself?
There might not be an absense of physical laws. The thing is the laws of science AS WE KNOW THEM, and as applicable to us, ceased to exist. You must remember that our reference frame is the existing universe, with time space, matter, energy and the laws of science that apply to this universe. When there was no time and no space, our reference frame ceased to exist. So even if (for the sake of argument) "something" existed, as far as we are concerned, it did not exist simply because our frame of reference did not. So for all intents and purposes, whatever existed before, if it existed, as far as WE are concerned did not exist. That is why there was nothing.
A little knowledge is a religious thing.
DarwinX
Favorite Philosopher: Stephen Hurrell

Post by DarwinX »

What we think of as nothing is most probably a something that we can't see.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Beware! The devil wears the mask of a saint.
Creative

Post by Creative »

We experience all of these states that you describe in your post in every day life. We move from something to nothing when we instantaneously move from awake state to sleep state. At that point, from the individual perspective, there is absolutely nothing. Then we also move from nothing to a quasi-nothing when we we move into a dream state. In dreams there are no physical laws, no time (though there is something called duration), and no space. Anything is possible. Them we spontaneously reawaken and we are in the awake state again. And the cycle continues.
Theophane
Favorite Philosopher: C.S. Lewis

Post by Theophane »

Spiral Out said:
There is no evidence of conditions that are infinitely chaotic or completely and utterly stable.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. How could such conditions be evidenced, anyway?
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Theophane wrote:Spiral Out said:
There is no evidence of conditions that are infinitely chaotic or completely and utterly stable.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. How could such conditions be evidenced, anyway?
I would modify that motto (which is usually utilized in arguments of the existence of God) to read: "absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence."

When there are existing conditions, or conditions that have previously existed, then there is usually at least some degree of evidence of such a condition having existed.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.
Theophane
Favorite Philosopher: C.S. Lewis

Post by Theophane »

Spiral Out wrote:I would modify that motto (which is usually utilized in arguments of the existence of God) to read: "absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence."
Yeah, that's better. And yes it is usually used to argue for the existence if not the possibility of God.
When there are existing conditions, or conditions that have previously existed, then there is usually at least some degree of evidence of such a condition having existed.
How would infinitely chaotic conditions be measurable?

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream