Absolute time and the speed of light

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Steve3007

Re: Absolute time and the speed of light

Post by Steve3007 »

Hi Frewah. Good idea to bring life back to this old topic. Whenever a new topic is started in this forum it's usually possible to find an old one that covers very similar subject matter.
Frewah wrote:...The point is that ε and μ are the fundamental properties from which c can be derived.
Yes, absolutely. And a key thing about that is that Maxwell's Equations can be written in the same mathematical form as the equations that describe waves - wave equations. And when that is done, the term that (if they were describing waves) would indicate the speed of the waves is the combinations of ε0 and μ0 as you've said. When this was discovered, the values of ε0 and μ0 as measured by experiments such as those carried out by Faraday gave a value for this speed term equal to the speed of light, as measured by other means.

So this is a classic example of the power of physics to unite phenomena that are previously apparently unrelated. In this case its the strengths of the electric and magnetic fields united together with the speed of light. Who would have thought that experiments involving measuring the size of the forces between magnets and the size of the forces between electrical charges would yield the speed of light! Measured by such means as observing the orbits of the moons of Jupiter. And then, via Special Relativity, the electric and magnetic forces themselves are united (into the single phenomenon of electromagnetism) by observing that magnetism is a relativistic manifestation of the electric force.

The magnetic force is the electric force when the principle of relativity is taken into account.

But a key thing about the discovery that the speed of light emerges from Maxwell's equations (as you've said) is that it emerges as a physical constant. By definition, the concepts of speed and velocity only make sense when we specify what we're measuring that velocity relative to. But the term for 'c' that emerges from Maxwell's Equations, when seen as the speed of electromagnetic waves, doesn't tell us what that speed is measured against. What it does tell us, if Maxwell's equations are valid (as Faraday's experiments suggest that they are) is that the speed will be measured as constant by any observer, in the same way that the values of ε0 and μ0 are measured as constant by any experimenter. And it's that fact, when its implications were considered very carefully, that led to Special Relativity.
barata

Post by barata »

The trip was "instantaneous" because there was no trip. The "distance", therefore geographical points (which is really just a memory of one point, a mental impression of a certain experience, when compared with a present point), is itself merely a 'sense' of distance - and senses are also "wave vibrations". It is sensory perception that gives us relativity. Our brain processes constantly measures, using memories in order to contrast moments and events, for purely survival instinct reasons.
Wmhoerr
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Post by Wmhoerr »

I would like to ask Happy recluse or anyone else if they know why light travels at 300km per second and not 200 km per second (say). Measurement does not equal understanding. I know Maxwell did some calculations from basics but i'm not sure whether added any clarity.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Wmhoerr wrote:I would like to ask Happy recluse or anyone else if they know why light travels at 300km per second and not 200 km per second (say). Measurement does not equal understanding. I know Maxwell did some calculations from basics but i'm not sure whether added any clarity.
On one level, we could simply say that this is similar to any other question as to why the universe is as it is, of why it exists in the first place. Perhaps the question has no meaning.

Alternatively we could look at the units in which the speed of light is quoted here and note that they are, of course, units that were invented by human beings as a result of the the scale of time and space of our immediate environment. Metres, kilometres and seconds were invented by humans because they fit human size and human timescales. In some other units, the speed of light would be different. In some units the speed of light is one. In some units Planck's constant is one. In some units the Universal Gravitational Constant is one. etc.

So perhaps the reason why, measured in the human units of metres and seconds, the speed of light is 300,000,000 ms-1 is to do with the physical size of human beings and the timescales over which we live, move and think. And those sizes and timescales are determined by the sizes and timescales of planetary systems that are suitable for the evolution of our kind of life. Perhaps it's only at space/time scales which make the speed of light have that number that intelligent life can evolve.

Perhaps it's like asking why my legs are exactly long enough to reach from my body to the ground.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Unlike physical constants with units, constants that have no units, such as pi, cannot be one. Although, I suppose, I'm only thinking of pi in base 10 arithmetic. In base pi arithmetic, pi is 10. Pi squared is 100. etc.
Wmhoerr
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Post by Wmhoerr »

Steve3007, you have avoided the question. You are saying that the problem will dissapear if the reference frame is changed. Not it won't. Why can't you just say that you dont know?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Wmhoerr wrote:Steve3007, you have avoided the question. You are saying that the problem will dissapear if the reference frame is changed. Not it won't. Why can't you just say that you dont know?
Why talk about my words as if I'm a politician who's avoiding a question because he has a political axe to grind? I'm just musing about the speed of light out of philosophical interest. But if you just want me to say "I don't know" I'm happy to oblige, if you think that would make for a more interesting conversation.
I would like to ask Happy recluse or anyone else if they know why light travels at 300km per second and not 200 km per second (say).
I don't know.
Fdesilva

Post by Fdesilva »

Wmhoerr wrote: January 15th, 2019, 6:47 pm I would like to ask Happy recluse or anyone else if they know why light travels at 300km per second and not 200 km per second (say). Measurement does not equal understanding. I know Maxwell did some calculations from basics but i'm not sure whether added any clarity.
I have wondered about this question too. There is one possibility that I have been doing a bit of investigation into. Here we go.
Historically the story goes, that Sir Isaac Newton, on observing the fall of an apple, formulated the theory of gravitational force. He then went on to show that the motion of planets was also due to the same force of gravity, that makes an apple fall. The thought that I wanted to investigate is the following. Suppose Newton made the observation that Hubble did, that is galaxies are moving away from each other due to an expanding universe, would he have then tried to investigate if all motion, that is even the falling of an apple, can be due to the expanding universe?

In other words the expansion of the universe is a fundamental property. The universe expands by creating New Time and New Space. Its like a 4 dimensional balloon that's growing bigger. We live on its edge. The edge of the universe is right here right now. The passage of time we feel is the expansion of time. Every moment we are stepping into new time, new space. Now the speed of light is constant because the (amount of space)/(amount of time) created in any given point is the maximum distance that an object at that point will be able to move. The movement is one with the expansion or one and the same as the expansion.
Here is a link to all that I have written about it http://tianweb.com/hubble.pdf
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Suppose Newton made the observation that Hubble did, that is galaxies are moving away from each other due to an expanding universe, would he have then tried to investigate if all motion, that is even the falling of an apple, can be due to the expanding universe?
One apparent difference is that gravity appears to be genuinely universal. Every mass is gravitationally attracted to every other mass. But the expansion of the Universe only appears to be happening on a large scale.

Also, I don't see how this addresses Wmhoerr's question about the specific value of the speed of light (although, as he/she pointed out, I didn't have much success directly addressing that question either).
Present awareness

Post by Present awareness »

The speed of light is a measurement, based on a piece of wood 1 meter long. 1000 pieces of wood is 1 km. If you travel over 299,792,458 metres per second, you would be moving at the estimated speed of light.

One second, is also a measurement based on a circle, taking 60 of them to make a minute, or one revolution around the circle. All of these measurements are arbitrary, simply made up by humans to measure things. A meter could be any length of wood and there could be any number of seconds on a clock. Humans came up with an agreed amount of length and seconds in a minute. The point of all this is that light travels at whatever speed you would like to think it travels at, but there is a conventional agreed upon speed.
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
Fdesilva

Post by Fdesilva »

Steve3007 wrote: January 24th, 2019, 8:38 am
Suppose Newton made the observation that Hubble did, that is galaxies are moving away from each other due to an expanding universe, would he have then tried to investigate if all motion, that is even the falling of an apple, can be due to the expanding universe?
One apparent difference is that gravity appears to be genuinely universal. Every mass is gravitationally attracted to every other mass. But the expansion of the Universe only appears to be happening on a large scale.

Also, I don't see how this addresses Wmhoerr's question about the specific value of the speed of light (although, as he/she pointed out, I didn't have much success directly addressing that question either).
Here is the deal. The universe that is going to be in a say a billionth of a second from now. Does it exist now? What I am saying is that it does not exist now. It is what the universe expands into. The equation of motion of any particle/object in physics is of the form S= f(t) where S is the location of the object in space in relation to some reference frame. Over time S will trace a path. Now what I am saying is that the space that this path enters into is not space that pre existed but new space, just like the time that the object entered to is new time. This is a hypotheses.
Present awareness

Fdesilva wrote: January 24th, 2019, 8:57 pm
Steve3007 wrote: January 24th, 2019, 8:38 am

Here is the deal. The universe that is going to be in a say a billionth of a second from now. Does it exist now? What I am saying is that it does not exist now. It is what the universe expands into. The equation of motion of any particle/object in physics is of the form S= f(t) where S is the location of the object in space in relation to some reference frame. Over time S will trace a path. Now what I am saying is that the space that this path enters into is not space that pre existed but new space, just like the time that the object entered to is new time. This is a hypotheses.
I disagree with you and I’m saying that what is going to be, does exist right now. The light that just left the Sun will be here in roughly 8 minutes and 20 seconds. It is traveling through space as we speak and exist in the present moment, it just hasn’t arrived at our point in space yet, but it will.
Fdesilva

Post by Fdesilva »

Present awareness wrote: January 24th, 2019, 9:26 pm
Fdesilva wrote: January 24th, 2019, 8:57 pm

I disagree with you and I’m saying that what is going to be, does exist right now. The light that just left the Sun will be here in roughly 8 minutes and 20 seconds. It is traveling through space as we speak and exist in the present moment, it just hasn’t arrived at our point in space yet, but it will.
In any event you are not in one point in space. Relative where you are right now it seems the same. But the earth is rotating whiles going around the sun. The sun goes around the centre of the milky way galaxy and the earth as a result also goes around. The milky way galaxy is moving apart from other galaxies due to the expansion. What do you say?
Present awareness

If I’m walking down the street and look behind me, the space I was just in is still there and the space I’m walking towards is also there. Everything is here now, regardless of one’s particular location. Everything is in a state of constant motion from the galactic to the microscopic, even when I feel like I’m sitting still in my chair! However, no matter how far we go or where we move to, we never leave the present moment.
Fdesilva

Post by Fdesilva »

Present awareness wrote: January 25th, 2019, 1:53 am If I’m walking down the street and look behind me, the space I was just in is still there and the space I’m walking towards is also there. Everything is here now, regardless of one’s particular location. Everything is in a state of constant motion from the galactic to the microscopic, even when I feel like I’m sitting still in my chair! However, no matter how far we go or where we move to, we never leave the present moment.
What do you mean by we never leave the present moment?

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream