Absolute time and the speed of light

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Xris

Re: Absolute time and the speed of light

Post by Xris »

[quote="Tyranosopher"]Very impressive thread. I, too, am deeply interested by science babble, and we have some nice examples of it, therein, as previously quoted. The first poster does not know that the gravitational attraction law was discovered (by a French scientist just before Newton was born) thanksotoast an analogy with light. In modern General Relativity, gravitation is supposed to go at the speed of light.[/quote"]Supposed to " is the correct phrase.Considering science has no idea what gravity is exactly it has to use the term. I do not neccessarily agree with the original poster but at least he does not read from the hymn book.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

AB10B wrote:

"Actually, if everything is actually wave-like, at its most basic level, then nothing ever actually "stops". Waves must move to exist. (Even perfectly balanced standing waves which show no "apparent" motion, are constructed of equal but opposite motions.)"

Actually, depending on the experiment, light may be either a wave or a particle, but not both simultaneously. Now since you're saying that as a wave, light moves constantly through space, then I ask myself what would happen when light is looked upon as a particle? What would its speed be in space when viewed as a particle? How would one observer, viewing light as a wave, see it moving at about 300,000 km/sec and a second observer, looking on it as a particle, see no motion from it - both experiments conducted in space. How does one reconcile the two observer situations on the same light?
Gulnara

Post by Gulnara »

If element determining speed of light is time, and we know that 1 minute differs for moving and for stationary person, then speed of light is fluctuating as well, may be to a point that with large enough distances it creates for as an illusion of a cosmos.
Last edited by Gulnara on January 3rd, 2014, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AB1OB

Post by AB1OB »

Xris wrote:............Considering science has no idea what gravity is exactly it has to use the term.............
Quantum energy has mass. Mass is an internal acceleration. This creates a displacement in its wave-front, as it expands (universal expansion occurs @ c.)

When a quantum energy unit is "entangled" (working in sync, through time), and it is not close to any other unit, it will be traveling a radial expansion vector through time.

If the displaced wave-fronts get close enough, then they interact and cause a shifted trajectory.

-- Updated January 3rd, 2014, 5:10 pm to add the following --
Philosophy Explorer wrote:AB10B wrote:

"Actually, if everything is actually wave-like, at its most basic level, then nothing ever actually "stops". Waves must move to exist. (Even perfectly balanced standing waves which show no "apparent" motion, are constructed of equal but opposite motions.)"

Actually, depending on the experiment, light may be either a wave or a particle, but not both simultaneously. Now since you're saying that as a wave, light moves constantly through space, then I ask myself what would happen when light is looked upon as a particle? What would its speed be in space when viewed as a particle? How would one observer, viewing light as a wave, see it moving at about 300,000 km/sec and a second observer, looking on it as a particle, see no motion from it - both experiments conducted in space. How does one reconcile the two observer situations on the same light?
This is a discussion of the dual nature of light as demonstrated by double slit experiments. If you follow my logic (I will explain as needed), there is NO dual nature of light. The only time that light acts like a particle, is when we define the light as, a part of the actual wave, that we are observing.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Calrid wrote:

"Oh and to add there are at least 6 states of matter Gas, liquid, Solid, plasma, BEC??? Condensate. There may be more as yet undiscovered for example super fluid states at close to c where atoms can pass through each other, which is speculative at best; naively disobeying the or Paul I exclusion principle although of course they are nor as position is not certain here either."

As a matter of fact, I recently did a thread on states of matter. According to a NOVA episode, over 100 states of matter are observed when the temperature approaches absolute zero.
Xris

Post by Xris »

To explain gravity as a wave you require a medium.As no medium is evident how can you logically describe gravity in relation to waves. Bill Gaedes ropes adequately explains the apparent dual nature of light.So why not accept his explanation of gravity?
AB1OB

Post by AB1OB »

I think that most, if not all of you will have no problem with this explanation of a supernova.

Astronomers use a kind of supernova to determine how far away galaxies are. That is because this type is 'always' (as assumed in theory) to be caused by a similar process. This process has a start and a finish, so it lasts over a duration and produces a steady light source. By steady, I mean equally visible from any direction and uniform from galaxy to galaxy.

So the light is emitted from the supernova and expands equally in all directions away and always at the speed of light.

Remember this process has a duration. Usually a few weeks. So this light is going to travel all across the universe until it hits some matter (with which it will interact). So we can picture this field of e/m energy crossing the universe. It has a leading edge and then it is followed by a few light-weeks of this energy, after which it ends. An expanding sphere of e/m energy that remains about a few light weeks thick.

Can you picture this in your mind??

Well now let's use this as an analogy for what we actually mean by a "big bang"...A supernova expands light energy, a big bang expands quantum energy at c and over a duration. That expanding sphere of quantum energy is our reality.

That energy isn't slowing down any more than the light would slow down. The apparent motion we see is always relative motion. Other stuff co-moving in time with us gets relatively closer or farther from us.
Geordie Ross
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Post by Geordie Ross »

Oh yes, thats right, space is not a medium, those three dimensions that are self evident... simply do not exist. Thanks for clearing that up! :roll:

I'm certain that relativity clearly states that space is the medium in which gravity operates.
The good life is one inspired by love, and guided by knowledge. - Bertrand Russell
AB1OB

Post by AB1OB »

Xris wrote:To explain gravity as a wave you require a medium.As no medium is evident how can you logically describe gravity in relation to waves. Bill Gaedes ropes adequately explains the apparent dual nature of light.So why not accept his explanation of gravity?
Because I see a logical reason to believe otherwise.

Quantum energy is something that can be visualized from many aspects. You can visualize space-time to be quanticized, as in an ether-type theory. But you can also visualize the quantum energy itself is containing the dynamics that create this relativity.

Using the Big Bang analogy to a supernova...a steady release of energy over time. That IS quantity! And once this quantity of stuff stops vibrating so fast (cools off as it expands) it can interact through recombination. The recombination is coming about by co-moving components (nothing is slowing down in that dimension.)
Calrid
Favorite Philosopher: your mum

Post by Calrid »

I wonder what the speed of idiot is? not referring to anyone in particular of course, or the speed of ignorance, self righteous prose in lieu of evidence, or religion?

-- Updated January 3rd, 2014, 5:46 pm to add the following --
Geordie Ross wrote:Oh yes, thats right, space is not a medium, those three dimensions that are self evident... simply do not exist. Thanks for clearing that up! :roll:

I'm certain that relativity clearly states that space is the medium in which gravity operates.
yeah I am beginning to think like xcris he's a po mo troll. But meh he's entertaining at least. :P
AB1OB

Post by AB1OB »

Geordie Ross wrote:Oh yes, thats right, space is not a medium, those three dimensions that are self evident... simply do not exist. Thanks for clearing that up! :roll:

Space is only a measurement between various energies.

Energy exists in 3-dimensional forms that travel through space-time measurments.
Xris

Post by Xris »

Yes when you can't find a medium call it space time. It placates the gods but it certainly don't fool me.
AB1OB

Post by AB1OB »

If we have 360 observers positioned at every angle of a large circle and right in the center of the circle is a light bulb.

I turn on the light.

Which observer sees it first?

Why?

-- Updated January 3rd, 2014, 6:04 pm to add the following --
Xris wrote:...... Yes when you can't find a medium call it space time. It placates the gods but it certainly don't fool me.
The reason that they call it quantum, is it is self organizing by quantum units (planck units), doesn't need a medium. It is the medium.

Space & time do not exist before the big bang. The expansion of the big bang is what creates it. (That is the basic generally accepted theory at any rate.)
Calrid
Favorite Philosopher: your mum

Post by Calrid »

AB1OB wrote:If we have 360 observers positioned at every angle of a large circle and right in the center of the circle is a light bulb.

I turn on the light.

Which observer sees it first?

Why?

-- Updated January 3rd, 2014, 6:04 pm to add the following --

(Nested quote removed.)

The reason that they call it quantum, is it is self organizing by quantum units (planck units), doesn't need a medium. It is the medium.

Space & time do not exist before the big bang. The expansion of the big bang is what creates it. (That is the basic generally accepted theory at any rate.)
in classical setting the one closest to the source, in a qm setting who knows, it's probabilistic. I feel you are not listening to me now. Which is fine but you may well want to at some point it will make the dialogue easier. :)

So which one is closer to the source. ;)

And yes I agree with your last statement it's good to find common ground at last. :)

-- Updated January 3rd, 2014, 6:14 pm to add the following --
AB1OB wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Space is only a measurement between various energies.

Energy exists in 3-dimensional forms that travel through space-time measurments.
Also agreeing with this. :D
Xris

Post by Xris »

So now we have a quantum that moves as a wave that requires no medium because it is the medium.I love it when they talk dirty.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream