Science needs more... Women!

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Dolphin42

Re: Science needs more... Women!

Post by Dolphin42 »

Halfwit:
I do not disagree that women are unfairly excluded.
Who are you not disagreeing with here? It can't be me.
You and the OP are slinging vague generalities and thinking with very fuzzy logic. Women will bring spirituality to physics?
This comes after a quote from me, so I guess it must be addressed to me. What vague generality did I sling? Where did I state that I agreed with the OP about the need to bring more spirituality (whatever that is) to science?

In the words that you quoted I didn't state that women are unfairly excluded from science or that science needs more or less of any particular ingredient. I stated my agreement with you (that changing the nature of a subject in order to include a particular section of society is self-defeating) but suggested putting it into more general terms. I guess I didn't say much really!

---

Still, on the subject of generalizations in general (as it were):

What if there do generally tend to be broad sets of personality traits that tend, on average, to make men and women think differently to each other? And what if these do, on average, tend to cause men and women to be over-represented in some fields and under-represented in others?

Obviously it's incorrect to mistake a generality for a universal. Saying "women tend to be shorter than men" is not the same as saying "all women are shorter than all men". But that doesn't stop generalizations from being useful in analyzing trends. I think it's highly likely that there are traits and tendencies that tend, on average, to exist more in one sex than the other, just as there are physical characteristics that do so.

The field that I work in, software engineering, is massively male dominated. I suspect that's not entirely due to prejudice and societal pressure but also has something to do with the way that on average male and female minds tend to work. The trouble is, it seems all too easy for a statement like that to be twisted into a statement like: "software engineering is man's work." which of course would rightly annoy my female colleagues.

Also, making observations of these kinds of generalities is often seen as somehow saying that women who do work in male dominated fields are somehow more masculine than others. I guess this is like turning the statement "women tend to be shorter than men" into the statement "tallness is a male characteristic and women who are tall are really men".

Unfortunately, some statements of general truth, even if true, cannot be stated because they are always misinterpreted as statements of universal truth or as a value judgments. It's extraordinarily difficult to persuade people to take what you say at face value and not imagine a whole host of other things in it, as Halfwit's reply to me seems to demonstrate!
Skakos
Favorite Philosopher: Shestov

Post by Skakos »

HalfWit wrote:
Skakos wrote: I personally believe that women can give science what it currently lacks: A more spiritual and holistic view to the problems of the cosmos. We have treated universe as a machine for too long. It is time to look at things from a different angle...
But then they're no longer doing science. Are you saying that

a) Women are as good as men doing science, so we should hire more of them; or

b) When women do science, they do it differently than men do ... in which case ... what is it they're doing?

Your last paragraph really undermined your argument. You seem confused about whether women are capable of doing the same job as men; or whether the job itself should be redefined to included whatever it is that women do, which is NOT science.

Can you clarify your thesis, please?
Science today has a purely materialistic / mechanistic direction. We believe everything is matter, everything is brain, everything is particles. We believe human is a machine that needs fixing. Matters of consciousness are reduced to matters of electrons. Only a handful of serious scientists are bold enough to say something different than the mainstream view of "matter is everything". Women - I believe - can bring the paradigm shift towards a more spiritual view of the cosmos much more quickly than it is already happening. Don't you agree that a different point of view is always beneficial?
~ το γὰρ αὐτὸ νοεῖν ἐστίν τε καὶ εἶναι ~

Harmonia Philosophica - Philosophy portal against dogmatism of any kind, religious & scientific alike... http://harmoniaphilosophica.wordpress.com/
Gene16180

Post by Gene16180 »

Skakos wrote: Science today has a purely materialistic / mechanistic direction. We believe everything is matter, everything is brain, everything is particles. We believe human is a machine that needs fixing. Matters of consciousness are reduced to matters of electrons. Only a handful of serious scientists are bold enough to say something different than the mainstream view of "matter is everything". Women - I believe - can bring the paradigm shift towards a more spiritual view of the cosmos much more quickly than it is already happening. Don't you agree that a different point of view is always beneficial?
If you explain something using supernatural phenomena, you are no longer doing science. Science has thrived when put into a materialistic framework. Were would we be if we still believed spirits in the forest or that gods drag the planets? Secondly, you should really stop stereotyping women.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

I think you'll find a lot of women in biological sciences but, as usual, nearly all the principal research scientists are men.

I would think that science could do with more human beings per se. Like others, I reject the notion that women will bring a soft touch or holistic view to science. In areas of mental traits tests indicate that there is far more difference within genders than between them.
Last edited by Sy Borg on February 2nd, 2014, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Hog Rider

Post by Hog Rider »

If a belief in gender equality is to be asserted and legislated for then the above header is an empty suggestion. Science needs the people who are the best scientists. That is it.

Whilst it might be true that many women find it hard to get into science; or that girls tend not to be attracted to science subject, it is not true to say that science needs more women.

Whilst it is true that men and women are equal, and one gender is as capable as the other, then suggesting a need for one gender over another is SEXIST.

I would agree to encourage all girls that show and interest in science to pursue it to the best of their abilities and for admissions officers to make sure they do not reject any applicant on gender grounds; what science needs is the best people possible.

For that an even handed, open, and fair opportunities ought to be given to people of all genders to enter science, as that is a policy of sexual equality.

A statement saying " more women needed" is the same as " more men needed" - it is sexist.

Equality can only ever be achieved by providing equal opportunities.

What I find really unpleasant is the suggestion that we need more women in science to take science off on some imaginary fantasy. The OP is truly sexist, offering the most gross and blatant stereotyping. As if women we too stupid to do real science because they are stuck in some sort of medieval nonsense about "spirituality" Shame on you.
"I'm blaming the horrors of Islamic fundamentalism on unrestrained sexuality." Radar.
Anthony Edgar
Favorite Philosopher: Paula Haigh

Post by Anthony Edgar »

I'll never forget some observations I made years ago while working at a weekend stall market in a large city.  I had already noticed that the customers of the fortune tellers who worked there were almost exclusively female.  Then one day a new stall owner arrived and as she was setting up, out of curiosity I inquired as to what she was planning to sell.  The woman explained that she sold little bottles of oil, which were labelled with "Money" or "Harmony" or "Health" or "Love" or "Peace" or "Happiness", things like that.  She explained that if it's love you're after, for example, you burn the oil in the bottle marked "Love" and love will come into your life.  
I was stunned by the absurdity of such an idea, but didn't say anything to the woman, not wanting to offend.   But I walked away thinking, "Lady, who the hell is going to be silly enough to fall for that nonsense?  You won't sell a single bottle.  Go home now before you make a complete fool of yourself."

Well, stupid me!  When the market opened her stall was easily the most popular there; at any one time she would have had at least ten customers lined up.  I was absolutely amazed.  The other thing I noticed was that 100% of her customers were women and girls.  That was the day my suspicions about the female mind were confirmed beyond any shadow of a doubt.

So it comes as no surprise to me that science is dominated by males.  

-- Updated October 10th, 2016, 6:11 am to add the following --
Philosophy Explorer wrote:I have heard that 90% of the doctors in Russia are female. If true, then I wonder why the difference from the science field?
Perhaps being a doctor doesn't require a great deal of the creative thinking, as I would imagine that most of the time, a doctor is simply following procedures that have being tried and tested and proven. I suspect that when it comes to coming up with new ideas to advance science, men easily outperform women, on average.
The same advantage men appear to have in creative thinking in science is evident in other fields of intellectual pursuit as well.
"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe in them." - George Orwell
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

I personally believe that women can give science what it currently lacks: A more spiritual and holistic view to the problems of the cosmos.
It sounds like an insult for women in my eyes XD.

I know many engineers that are women. There are more men, specially in some countres, but I think that's basically because of culture... chess competitions are still with women separated from men.

There are famous women scientists, in maths, etc. Well, The engineers I know, they weren't seeing "the spiritual and holistic view" of steel. They are good engineers, they like it. But not solong ago (well, still some people in this generation) women weren't allowed to vote, work in factorys etc in many places, have sex if they want... and it's that way in some places now. The change can't be from "no women in factory" to "Same number of women and men" in a few years, there are more every year, that's all.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream