When did the universe begin?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Philosophy Explorer

When did the universe begin?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

The popular Big Bang theory which explains much, doesn't explain things like what set off the posited singularity let alone how it could expand to the dimensions of our space and we lack direct evidence for the theoretical dark matter and dark energy.

Decided to check the internet for updates and I've found a link giving three theories (I don't know if I'd buy Barbour's timelessly universe, the first two theories have more meat to them).

So the question is which of the three theories appeal to you? Which do you see have the strongest arguments going for it?

The link: http://discovermagazine.com/2008/apr/25 ... vHsYZFOlzQ
Spiral Out

Re: When did the universe begin?

Post by Spiral Out »

The "big bang" is pure (and untenable) hypothesis based on fundamental misunderstandings and doesn't hold up to intense scrutiny.

The universe has always been. There is no beginning and no end. It's just there.

A more apt question might be "When did the concept of "universe" begin?"
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.
Philosophy Explorer

Hey SO,

When you say fundamental misunderstandings, what do you mean by that?
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

The word 'universe' is usually a blanket-term to refer to everything, at least everything material including the very fabric of spacetime. Thus, it is nonsense to ask when the universe began because you are asking when time began. It's like asking 'in what space is the totality of all space located?' Or in what box are all boxes that exist located in? If the boxes are in a bigger box, then not all boxes can be in the bigger box because the bigger box is part of the set all boxes, so the question is incoherent.

I'm really not sure the link points to 'theories' but rather just ideas, possibilities speculated by scientists.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Philosophy Explorer

Scott stated:

"I'm really not sure the link points to 'theories' but rather just ideas, possibilities speculated by scientists."

Under what circumstances then would you consider these speculations to be theories?

Do you have a leading candidate proposal of your own that explains the origins of the universe?
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Scott wrote:I'm really not sure the link points to 'theories' but rather just ideas, possibilities speculated by scientists.
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Under what circumstances then would you consider these speculations to be theories?
When one is a a set of hypotheses that have been scientifically tested and confirmed, it would then be a theory, assuming we are using the terms in the scientific context and the testing is scientific meeting scientific requirements like being repeatable. That all follows from definition, correct?
Scott wrote:Do you have a leading candidate proposal of your own that explains the origins of the universe?
As stated in my previous post, I think the very concept is nonsense (see boxes example) since I am reading universe as something that entails spacetime.

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Philosophy Explorer

Scott,

Sorry if I'm disagreeable, but National Geographic does call the Big Bang theory a theory and indicates why. So let me ask you again when you consider an idea to be a theory? Where do you and National Geographic differ?

Oh yes, here the link to National Geographic:

http://science.nationalgeographic.com/s ... e-article/
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I think the Big Bang is a theory. It was the other three ideas in the link, mostly about time, that seemed to just be possibilities speculated by scientists rather than theories. As I said, I believe I am using the standard definition of theory in science when I say it is a set of hypotheses that have been tested and confirmed in a repeatable way. The other ideas in the link seem to be just speculations not even untested scientific hypotheses let alone theories.

Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:When you say fundamental misunderstandings, what do you mean by that?
What is fundamentally understood, where is the proof of such understanding and what is the universal reference that this proof can be verified against?
Scott wrote:I think the Big Bang is a theory. … As I said, I believe I am using the standard definition of theory in science when I say it is a set of hypotheses that have been tested and confirmed in a repeatable way.
How has the big bang been "tested and confirmed in a repeatable way"?
Philosophy Explorer

SO asks:

"How has the big bang been "tested and confirmed in a repeatable way"?"

Well SO, the paths of all matter brings all matter together when time is reversed; furthermore there is the cosmic microwave radiation. The only thing is no one knows what triggered off the Big Bang.
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:the paths of all matter brings all matter together when time is reversed
Does it? How is such a thing proven? Where is the universal reference that this is to be measured against?

There are two states of knowledge:
1. That which is apparent.
2. That which is actual.

We are only capable of the first.
Philosophy Explorer

Spiral Out wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:the paths of all matter brings all matter together when time is reversed
Does it? How is such a thing proven? Where is the universal reference that this is to be measured against?

There are two states of knowledge:
1. That which is apparent.
2. That which is actual.

We are only capable of the first.
I'm guessing it's the Doppler shift. The scientists program their computers that would figure out the paths of the stars and galaxies (going backwards in time to a point (so they say, but I don't buy that part, more recently they're saying a small part of space)).
Geordie Ross
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Post by Geordie Ross »

Spiral Out wrote:The "big bang" is pure (and untenable) hypothesis based on fundamental misunderstandings and doesn't hold up to intense scrutiny.

The universe has always been. There is no beginning and no end. It's just there.

A more apt question might be "When did the concept of "universe" begin?"
The universe has always been
The problem with that is entropy. If the universe has always existed, it should have experienced heat death trillions of years ago. It also runs into olbers paradox, in which the entire universe would be visible due to the finite speed of light and the time it takes to traverse the universe.
The good life is one inspired by love, and guided by knowledge. - Bertrand Russell
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Fascinating article. My understanding is that the physical Universe began 13.8 billion years ago from the BB. Given that the Universe is expanding, it must have been smaller in the past.

We may have prematurely named the Universe, figuring it's the only one. It seems a reasonable chance from what we've learned that the "Universe" is actually a cluster of galactic clusters within a seemingly endless quantum vacuum dotted with "galactic cluster clusters" in much the same way as the "universe" is dotted with galactic clusters.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Mechsmith

Post by Mechsmith »

The Universe may never have had a beginning. The evidence is ambiguous, meaning that there seem to be other ways to account for the "Red Shift" noticed by Mr. Hubble.

1. If a particle (in this case a photon) is subject to the field called space time which it seems to be. (Gravitational lensing and and the "Harvard Tower Experiments) seem to show this.

2.If the field is collapsing into a massive object. Waves on a beach is a fair example. If things carried on a wave of space time would necessarily be accelerated or slowed (reversed acceleration) with the movements of space time.

3. Since waves and objects can be carried in a field. (sticks on a windswept flowing river would be a fair example) the accelerations due to gravity would result in a red shift over time and space.

4. If there were an infinite number of stars in the background of our observable universe (as predicted in an infinite and eternal universe) that would result in a universally observed Cosmic Microwave Background as the light emitted by those stars would be "Red Shifted" to the microwave length. However the "Doppler Effect" and perhaps others like our views of time, space dust and ripples (variations) in space time must also be considered.

5. If you make an Infinite, Evolving universe it may work without recourse to Singularities, Big Bangs or Creators. It does for me anyways. :?

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream