Is brain dead death?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Schaps
Favorite Philosopher: Nietzsche

Re: Is brain dead death?

Post by Schaps »

I have no difficulty with metaphysics in general but I was trying to follow the original post ( OP) which questions the relationship of brain death to death. The OP specifically refers to brain death as it has been reported in news media recently and not to any alternative metaphysical possibility. I have structured my responses within the context of that definition. As an example of my ability to consider death from alternative perspectives I refer you to my thread which attempts to disprove the existence of death: http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/ ... =4&t=11258

-- Updated March 31st, 2014, 4:13 am to add the following --

"I refer to a comatose person on a ventilator as being in a state of living death because such a person is not really alive or dead. Not really alive because they are completely unresponsive" ..,, not true! Those patients are very responsive to many stimuli including those applied to the cranial nerves and brainstem. It is only the brain dead ( by definition referred to in my citation ) who are not responsive to cranial nerve and brainstem reflexes. The brain dead corpse may continue to respond to spinal reflex tests.

" and not really dead because they are still taking oxygen with a steady pulse" ... And additionally those patients who are not brain dead will not pass the very precise tests of brain death as described previously.

There is no ethical difficulty in caring for a comatose patient receiving mechanical ventilation ( I have done so in innumerable cases). One does however have the responsibility to define the cause and prognosis of the coma so as to advise the patient's family.
Subatomic God

Post by Subatomic God »

Schaps wrote:I have no difficulty with metaphysics in general but I was trying to follow the original post ( OP) which questions the relationship of brain death to death. The OP specifically refers to brain death as it has been reported in news media recently and not to any alternative metaphysical possibility. I have structured my responses within the context of that definition. As an example of my ability to consider death from alternative perspectives I refer you to my thread which attempts to disprove the existence of death: http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/ ... =4&t=11258
You quickly disregarded my consensus; I guess you could change your mind, in spite of undermining my intentions, which affect my physiology and my psyche, though. I was only trying to help you question your unusual confidence in something nobody in this entire world can grasp under a genuine light, but woe is me! You'd think that a board that is for philosophy wouldn't be so stubborn when it comes to what is "right", what is "wrong", what is "belief" and what "is", but I guess I am "right" to accept that I was "wrong" to have a "belief" in that; for people all have a "belief", and such rivals against what "is" to be "right"; to not deny thereof, one such is "wrong"!

We should return back to you accusing my thinking as "fantasy", rather than, in question, "factual". There's no reason to suggest that when the brain dies (implying brain dead here, just not directly) that there's only neuronal necrosis to blame, and that it's "irreversible" -- maybe not for us by hand, but the human body is self-correcting/self-healing; it does do remarkable things at times, which is enough to consider that perhaps what is "irreversible" is just our "ignorance", so I highly doubt that I am the one caught up in a fantasy, Schaps.
What do you call a cat wearing a turtle's shell on its back? A purpoise.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Present awareness wrote:I often wonder, Greta, how many children became atheist, because their prayers were not answered by God. I was raised in the Christian tradition and went to Sunday school every week. However, I was abused and bullied by older boys and blamed God for not protecting me. We were told by our parents and teachers to pray to God and our prayers would be answered, but then they also told us about Santa Claus. How can you trust people like that?
Yes PA, many things were - and are - said to achieve a result rather than for factuality's sake.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Schaps

Post by Schaps »

Your fantasy is ->"There's no reason to suggest that when the brain dies (implying brain dead here, just not directly) that there's only neuronal necrosis to blame, and that it's "irreversible"

There are examples of the irreversibility of brain death every day in emergency rooms and other settings. When a person suffers cardiac arrest it is fairly common to obtain return of circulation but if the period wherein there has been no oxygen supplied to the brain exceeds the limits of 5-7 minutes there will be no/zero return of brain function ie., brain death. Techniques such as induced hypothermia are now being introduced in an attempt to maximise the slowed metabolic rate cerebral protecting effect of low body temperature but the neurological recovery from CPR remains dismal.
Present awareness

Post by Present awareness »

We now have the technology to pump the heart, breath the lungs, filter the blood and keep a body alive with machines, once brain function is lost. The question becomes " to what purpose"? There is a conflict of interest for doctors, as they don't get paid for dead patients. If a body cannot sustain itself, is it the duty of doctors to suspend it's natural conclusion? Some countries allow the family's to make the decision as to whether or not to pull the plug. I've always been of the opinion that it's not the length of ones life, but the quality of ones life, which is important. I've instructed my family members to pull the plug on me, if given the option.
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
Subatomic God

Post by Subatomic God »

Schaps wrote:Your fantasy is ->"There's no reason to suggest that when the brain dies (implying brain dead here, just not directly) that there's only neuronal necrosis to blame, and that it's "irreversible"

There are examples of the irreversibility of brain death every day in emergency rooms and other settings. When a person suffers cardiac arrest it is fairly common to obtain return of circulation but if the period wherein there has been no oxygen supplied to the brain exceeds the limits of 5-7 minutes there will be no/zero return of brain function ie., brain death. Techniques such as induced hypothermia are now being introduced in an attempt to maximise the slowed metabolic rate cerebral protecting effect of low body temperature but the neurological recovery from CPR remains dismal.
Then why call it "death", if there's a time period consisted of the brain on "edge" of being disposed by the energy that which gives it "apparent" life to begin with?
What do you call a cat wearing a turtle's shell on its back? A purpoise.
Rederic
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Post by Rederic »

When the heart, respiration & reflexes stop, this is called clinical death. There remains a short window of opportunity where it's possible to resuscitate a person (4-5 minutes, with some exceptions i.e. temperature). After 4 minutes without oxygen the brain becomes damaged to the point of brain death.

It's possible to take a brain dead corpse & attach it to machines thereby giving the appearance of life.
Religion is at its best when it makes us ask hard questions of ourselves.
It is at its worst when it deludes us into thinking we have all the answers for everybody else.
Archibald Macleish.
Schaps

Post by Schaps »

"When the heart, respiration & reflexes stop, this is called clinical death"... Not true . That is not death.. It may appear to the layman as death obviously but is not and no professional uses the terms "clinical death" it is meaningless. " "There remains a short window of opportunity where it's possible to resuscitate a person (4-5 minutes, with some exceptions i.e. temperature). After 4 minutes without oxygen the brain becomes damaged to the point of brain death"...True

"Then why call it "death"... See above
Theophane
Favorite Philosopher: C.S. Lewis

Post by Theophane »

It's possible to take a brain dead corpse & attach it to machines thereby giving the appearance of life.
Kind of like what Galvani did with the frog legs by running electric current through them, making them "kick."

(Bioelectricity existed long before Galvani discovered it, of course.)

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream