Are three stocks of mankind most satisfactory?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Ruskin

Re: Are three stocks of mankind most satisfactory?

Post by Ruskin »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Aside from skin tone or color, probably nothing

Not quite they would still look different from a European if they had light skin, slightly different facial proportions, they would tend to be taller with longer limbs and head hair is a little more frizzy I suppose. I'm not sure if they really have a larger dong on average if that's a myth. There was a book I read years ago that covered all of this in some detail including charts with the measurements of the physical proportions along with averages of IQ and that kind of thing. It does sound a bit un-PC but it was a reasonable scientific book.

plus they can interbreed.
They would be able to do if they are the exact same species. I think we even managed to breed with the neanderthals so they would have been more a sub-species.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Try walking from Beijing to Stockholm, having a look at every person you meet along the way.

OK, for various political and geographical reasons you probably wouldn't survive the trip. But if you did I'd wager you'd conclude that the human race is a continuum and that any divisions we place on that continuum are purely for our own amusement.
A Poster He or I
Favorite Philosopher: Anaximander

Post by A Poster He or I »

What is it about a caucasoid that makes it different from a Negroid?
In my opinion, the 3 races are merely terms of convenience; the criteria for differenctiation being relative to the purpose: historical/geographical; cultural; predispositions for genetic markers; etc.

There are no hard-and-fast biological differences that hold up to scientific scrutiny. For example, one can broadly differentiate Caucasoids from Negroids as having less melanin pigmentation -- until one realizes that Dravidians are often darker than many Negroids. One can broadly differentiate Mongoloid eyes as having epicanthic folds -- until one realizes the eye fold mutation is only a few tens-of-thousands years old so all the Indians of North & South America lack the feature except the last tribes to migrate out of Asia, such as Inuits and Aleuts.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Poster: Yes. Absolutely. But I reckon my post was more poetical. Made me want to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony, like on a Coke ad.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

A Poster said:

"...so all the Indians of North & South America lack the feature..." which might mean they're not Indians (nor Mongoloid) at all (btw I believe you meant to say most Indians). How would one account for this?

PhilX
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Phil/Poster: Sorry to jump in here. But you know by now I can't help myself.

The whole point of Poster's post, I believe, was that such distinctions as "Indian" are artificial. Obviously the word "Indian" happens to be geographically inaccurate too. Hence the updated term that's now normally used. But that's irrelevant to the point except insofar as it illustrates another way in which these distinctions reflect human history and culture and reflect precious little about biology; they say more about the people who coin them than they do about their subjects.
A Poster He or I
Favorite Philosopher: Anaximander

Post by A Poster He or I »

PhilX: The Eurasian origin of American Indians assumes that one believes the Americas were initially populated by migrations from Asia over the Bering land bridge during the last Ice Age. Since American Indians don't have epicanthic folds except the Inuits & Aleuts, the conclusion is that either (a) the racial term Mongoloid is not in any kind of hard-and-fast association with eye features, or (b) the arising of the eye-fold mutation in Asia constituted the beginning of the Mongoloid race. Take your choice: it hardly matters since the term Mongoloid is implicated as a fabrication either way.

EDIT: Thanks for the help, Steve. By the way, when you refer to the updated term for Indian, do you mean "Amerindian?" I encountered this term in college but it never seemed to catch on.
enegue
Favorite Philosopher: God

Post by enegue »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:enegue asks:

"What is it about a caucasoid that makes it different from a Negroid?"

Aside from skin tone or color, probably nothing plus they can interbreed.

PhilX
So, the word "race" is redundant because red-haired people would be a different race to blond-haired people, and they would be a difference race to blue-eyed people who would be a different race to brown-eyed people, etc.

Such a word is surely useless.

Cheers,
enegue
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

enegue wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:enegue asks:

"What is it about a caucasoid that makes it different from a Negroid?"

Aside from skin tone or color, probably nothing plus they can interbreed.

PhilX
So, the word "race" is redundant because red-haired people would be a different race to blond-haired people, and they would be a difference race to blue-eyed people who would be a different race to brown-eyed people, etc.

Such a word is surely useless.

From my quick internet searches, I would say you're probably right.

PhilX

Cheers,
enegue
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Poster:
EDIT: Thanks for the help, Steve. By the way, when you refer to the updated term for Indian, do you mean "Amerindian?" I encountered this term in college but it never seemed to catch on.
No, I meant "Native American". I take that as being in the same category as "African American". i.e. an attempt to make the terms more descriptively clear-cut. You've already indicated the inaccuracy of the term "black". And obviously "Indian" is a result of a wild (and, I've read, deliberate) under-estimate of the circumference of the Earth!

Anyway, your points about so-called "Mongoloid" physical characteristics were very interesting.
Ruskin

Post by Ruskin »

Native American Indians and Australian Aboriginals count as their own separate races they're not mongoloid or negroid but have different name. Within the race you can have a lot of variation as a Norwegian and an Arab would be Caucasian.
enegue
Favorite Philosopher: God

Post by enegue »

Steve3007 wrote:No, I meant "Native American". I take that as being in the same category as "African American". i.e. an attempt to make the terms more descriptively clear-cut. You've already indicated the inaccuracy of the term "black". And obviously "Indian" is a result of a wild (and, I've read, deliberate) under-estimate of the circumference of the Earth!
Okay, I think I understand where you are heading with this. You believe that the various "races" of human are different stages of man's evolution. A caucasoid, a negroid and a mongoloid are just like Darwin's finches that differ in regard to beak size, body form, plumage and tail size.

That makes me think of a joke. "A caucasoid, a negroid and a mongoloid walk into a bar, and the caucasoid says to the barkeep, 'Drinks for me and my two friends!'. The bar keep looks at them carefully, then checks a list he keeps by the cash register, and replies, 'Sorry, we don't serve long beaked, thick bodied, bald, caucasoids in here.' The negroid turns to the caucasoid and says, 'Wait outside. We'll just have the one drink and be right out.'"

Cheers,
enegue
Wooden shoe

Post by Wooden shoe »

Ruskin, you wrote: It describes the evolutionary process by which humanity gained self awareness and eventually independent freewill from God/Nature and the reason why we're subject to sin/death and aren't immortal. [end quote].

Are you saying that there would not have been death and decay if Adam and Eve had passed the test, If so would you please give scriptural evidence when the recreation of all of life occurred? Were there annual plants before the fall, or termites etc.

Regards, John.
We experience today through the lens of all our yesterdays

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream