Light wave/particle duality mystery

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Jklint

Re: Light wave/particle duality mystery

Post by Jklint »

Aren't waves mostly the classical aspect of said phenomena and particles/photons it's quantum manifestation. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but would the "wave" aspect of light, or EM in general even have much relevance in QM and if not what could be so paradoxical about this distinction?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Jklint:

This is how I understand it:

As a rule, what happens is that a theory is invented which accurately describes a set of possible observations to a certain level of accuracy. Then, when a new theory comes along, it doesn't so much replace the old theory as envelope it. It describes a larger super-set of observations to a greater level of accuracy. The old theory then becomes a special case of the new one. i.e. When certain simplifying assumptions are made, and certain factors are assumed to be small enough that they can be ignored, the new theory is shown to collapse back down into the old one. The new theory, in order to be valid, must contain the old one.

This is often referred to using the word "limit". The old theory is a "limiting case" of the new one. Physicists often use phrases like "in the classical limit" meaning the point at which classical physics emerges as a special case of quantum physics.

So, in the case of waves versus photons in electromagnetic theory: the wave-like behaviour of light, with all the associated classical wavey behaviour (diffraction, refraction, interference etc) emerges from the theory that uses photons in the "limiting case" of a very large number of photons.

All this, at least to my understanding, means that you're right in a sense to place waves in the classical camp and photons in the quantum camp. But that doesn't mean that EM waves don't exist in the quantum world. It can be shown that Maxwell's equations - those archetypal equations of classical EM wave theory - can all be derived as a special case from the Standard Model of Particle Physics. They're all still there. The waves exist just as they did before. We just have a more subtle and far-reaching description of them now.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Steve3007 wrote:Jklint:

As a rule, what happens is that a theory is invented which accurately describes a set of possible observations to a certain level of accuracy. Then, when a new theory comes along, it doesn't so much replace the old theory as envelope it. It describes a larger super-set of observations to a greater level of accuracy. The old theory then becomes a special case of the new one. i.e. When certain simplifying assumptions are made, and certain factors are assumed to be small enough that they can be ignored, the new theory is shown to collapse back down into the old one. The new theory, in order to be valid, must contain the old one.

This is often referred to using the word "limit". The old theory is a "limiting case" of the new one. Physicists often use phrases like "in the classical limit" meaning the point at which classical physics emerges as a special case of quantum physics.

So, in the case of waves versus photons in electromagnetic theory: the wave-like behaviour of light, with all the associated classical wavey behaviour (diffraction, refraction, interference etc) emerges from the theory that uses photons in the "limiting case" of a very large number of photons.

All this, at least to my understanding, means that you're right in a sense to place waves in the classical camp and photons in the quantum camp. But that doesn't mean that EM waves don't exist in the quantum world. It can be shown that Maxwell's equations - those archetypal equations of classical EM wave theory - can all be derived as a special case from the Standard Model of Particle Physics. They're all still there. The waves exist just as they did before. We just have a more subtle and far-reaching description of them now.
Steve3007~

I do realize that older established theories become subsets of more encompassing theories which in turn become subsets of even more all-inclusive theories which is the goal of Unification. Every time a higher level of incorporation is achieved the energy levels increase and the distances decrease in conformity. So it is clear to me, from that standpoint, that EM wave theory can be derived from that with incorporates it meaning from its higher energy super-set. That, as you mentioned, is Standard Model of Particle Physics which denotes the forces of what we so far have been able to theoretically and experimentally unify.

That's the reason why I reasoned, somewhat simplistically because it gets more complicated, that the photon/particle of QM underpins the EM waves of Classical Mechanics. But this merely re-emphasis that I can't see any contradiction or paradox between the two same entities except in how they're measured meaning at what distance and energy level they're measured at.

I'm not at proficient in the subject as you are so I may expect deficiencies in my understanding to be corrected.
Obvious Leo
Favorite Philosopher: Omar Khayyam

Post by Obvious Leo »

I'd go along with your balanced interpretation of a scientific theory, Steve, and add this. When physicists speak of particles, waves, fields, etc they speak of mathematical entities, not physical ones. Physicists make their observations of the world and they then describe their observations in the language of mathematics. Although I was rather pejorative in my use of language and the put-down of the mathematical gimmick I don't actually suggest that physics can be done any other way. However we must exercise great caution in the conclusions that we draw from this method because it becomes all too convenient to mistake the map for the territory. Sometimes light behaves as if it were a particle, sometimes it behaves as if it were a wave, sometimes it behaves as if it were moving through a geometric medium etc.

The point was well made earlier that experimental protocols are designed to predict what the observer will observe, because it is from observation that the models are derived and then constants are inserted as required. Therefore we can hardly feign amazement when the observer duly observes what the models have predicted. The flaw in this method lies in the observers interpretation of his observation and in the case of light this is doubly so because the observer can never see light moving. Light simply moves too bloody fast for the observer to observe it, which means the observer can only ever see it after it has already moved. Thus he models his observation on frozen light, not moving light, and lo and behold he observes that the speed of light is a constant. Sure it is. It's a constant zero by the time he observes it because it's completed its journey. How would you measure the speed of your car after you've parked it? If you've got enough information about it's previous journey you could calculate it but you can't observe your car retrospectively and this is essentially what physicists are trying to do with light. In fact the observer can't observe anything actually moving, not just light, because by the time he has observed it, it is no longer where he has observed it to be. The light has taken a finite time to reach his eye, by which time the moving object has moved on. Thus his observation is not an observation at all, but rather a CALCULATION.

As I've stressed many times in other threads the observer does not observe reality but a frozen tableau of it. Reality is what is happening all around us RIGHT NOW and when we observe it our observation is precisely analogous to watching a movie on a delayed telecast. The frames of our movie are being projected to our senses at a rate of 5.4 x 1044 frames per second, but we only need to see the occasional frame to make sense of the world around us because we simply fill in the gaps with our consciousness. We make our own map of the world by calculation and no two observers will make the same map because our calculation depends on the a priori assumptions we have already made about the nature of our observation. In the language of Kant we would say that our cognition of the object is confirming our cognition of the object, which is insufficient for truth. This is exactly what the mathematical models in physics also do and thus we must exercise extreme caution in the conclusions we are free to draw from them.

In the early days of quantum mechanics this salutary caution went recklessly unheeded and the helpless layman was confronted with the nonsensical proposition that a physical entity could be in two places at once. Only rarely would a physicist be heard to say that quantum mechanics is a mathematical model that models reality as if a particle could be in two places at once. An electron, for instance, doesn't move as fast as light but it very nearly does. It can't occupy 5.4 x 1044 discretely different positions every second but it manages to get through almost that number. Near enough is good enough in physics, when it comes to making predictions which only the artefacts of mere mortals can confirm, thus if the physicist were to model his speedy electron as if it were everywhere at once then in every practical sense he's going to be able to make astonishingly accurate predictions, because it very nearly is everywhere at once. However near enough is never good enough when we're speaking of the true nature of physical reality so quantum mechanics is not in fact a model of the real world.

Luckily nowadays very few physicists are continuing to make the preposterous claim that it is.

Regards Leo

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream