Strictly materialistic version of the origin of life?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Existentialanxiety

Strictly materialistic version of the origin of life?

Post by Existentialanxiety »

Everyone knows modern science is overwhelmingly materialistic. So when it comes to explaining the origins of life, great majority of biologists try and explain it by invoking various materialistic causes. But as everyone who has looked into the topic closely will know, the scientific evidence supporting STRICTLY MATERIAL genesis of life is quite weak and many scientists admit that they have no idea how it could have started. They know even the probabilistic resource of the entire observable universe is not enough to credibly argue chance hypothesis. So there are some evolutionary scientists that invoke multiverse theory to explain away this problem, but obviously that is a highly controversial and not to mention unproven hypothesis. I believe the origin of life can one day eventually explained away solely by materialistic causes, and as I understand it, that's what's motivating evolutionary biologists conducting research on this area. But my question is, what is the basis of insisting on a premise (materialism) when the evidence don't support the hypothesis? Because I know that today's biological community considers any other approach heretical. Why?
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: Strictly materialistic version of the origin of life?

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Science doesn't insist on a purely material explanation of the origin of life. Science simply follows the evidence. If experiments done using the scientific method leads to evidence coming out of some dualistic and/or supernatural entity, then that would be something science insists on.

It is unscientifically and fallaciously shifting the burden of proof to ask why science doesn't include something in it's potential explanations. We might as well ask, "why doesn't science use magical unicorns to explain the origin of life or why doesn't science use magic fairies to explain gravity; what evidence does science have that unicorns and fairies don't exist?" The question is flawed. It is shaved away by Occam's Razor.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Pyrrho_Agnostic

Post by Pyrrho_Agnostic »

Not everyone in the scientific community is a materialist. Many great scientists were religious. The conclusions drawn from materialistic observations do not have to assume that materialism is the only thing we can believe in.

I think that materialists in general dislike religion, because they see negative effects from the majority of its members. I think that materialists have a blind side that can not see the negative effects from the majority of its members, just like religious/spiritual people have blind spots. Both sides can lead to a fundamentalist holier than thou perception and this is one of the many reasons why I refuse to join either side.
Leog

Post by Leog »

Existentialanxiety wrote:Everyone knows modern science is overwhelmingly materialistic. So when it comes to explaining the origins of life, great majority of biologists try and explain it by invoking various materialistic causes. But as everyone who has looked into the topic closely will know, the scientific evidence supporting STRICTLY MATERIAL genesis of life is quite weak and many scientists admit that they have no idea how it could have started. They know even the probabilistic resource of the entire observable universe is not enough to credibly argue chance hypothesis. So there are some evolutionary scientists that invoke multiverse theory to explain away this problem, but obviously that is a highly controversial and not to mention unproven hypothesis. I believe the origin of life can one day eventually explained away solely by materialistic causes, and as I understand it, that's what's motivating evolutionary biologists conducting research on this area. But my question is, what is the basis of insisting on a premise (materialism) when the evidence don't support the hypothesis? Because I know that today's biological community considers any other approach heretical. Why?
You can create a non-materialistic 'theory' of origins of life, but it will be not scientific theory, because science is based on materialism. Such 'theory' already exists (described in Bible).

If you want to propose an extraterrestrial scientific theory/model of origin of life, you need to base your theory on facts. There are no enough facts however.

Until now no living organism found that is not sharing same DNA/RNA structure with all other living organisms on Earth (i.e. there is a proof that all living organism on Earth are relatives).

If scientists for example find remains of aliens or proof of their activity, of course the model of origins of life will change.
Theophane
Favorite Philosopher: C.S. Lewis

Post by Theophane »

Science doesn't insist on a purely material explanation of the origin of life. Science simply follows the evidence.
Yes ... but only if said evidence is material in nature. :roll: This is where the science-derived philosophy of Scientism comes from.

-- Updated October 15th, 2014, 2:07 pm to add the following --
Theophane wrote:
Science doesn't insist on a purely material explanation of the origin of life. Science simply follows the evidence.
Yes ... but only if said evidence is material in nature. :roll: This is where the science-derived religion of Scientism comes from.

-- Updated October 15th, 2014, 2:07 pm to add the following --
Theophane wrote:
Yes ... but only if said evidence is material in nature. :roll: This is where the science-derived religion of Scientism comes from.

-- Updated October 15th, 2014, 2:08 pm to add the following --
Theophane wrote:
Yes ... but only if said evidence is material in nature. :roll: This is where the science-derived philosophy of Scientism comes from.
Bohm2
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Post by Bohm2 »

Existentialanxiety wrote:Everyone knows modern science is overwhelmingly materialistic.
I'm not sure what this means. Define what you mean by 'materialistic'.
Theophane
Favorite Philosopher: C.S. Lewis

Post by Theophane »

I believe Existentialanxiety meant it as the opposite of supernatural, mystical.

-- Updated October 15th, 2014, 4:05 pm to add the following --

I believe Existentialanxiety meant it as the opposite of supernatural, mystical, magical.
Logic_ill

Post by Logic_ill »

The problem with the supernatural are the inconsistencies that have arisen of its description. Also, not everyone claims to know, have seen, or have had magical, mystical or supernatural experiences. In fact, most of us have had more experiences with the materialistic and are more consistent about that, than of the supernatural.
Existentialanxiety

Post by Existentialanxiety »

Bohm2 wrote:
Existentialanxiety wrote:Everyone knows modern science is overwhelmingly materialistic.
I'm not sure what this means. Define what you mean by 'materialistic'.

As Theop have explained above, what I meant by modern science being materialistic was that the scientific community favours, or should I say it doesn't allow any other approach to scientific enquiry other than that based on the idea that all phenomena arises from, and thus can be explained in terms of physical matters and their interactions alone. While I agree this approach has been fruitful since the scientific revolution, I don't see fit to apply this approach in 'origins' sciences such as origin of life research in biology and cosmology for reasons I won't go into here (it is a subject in its own right). If we restrict our enquiry to physical matters because we have no means (sense organs/research equipments) to conduct research on any other entities, then fine, there may be no way to find out what's out there beyond physical matters. But I'm convinced that this limitation doesn't mean that all of reality is consisted and thus can be explained in full by purely materialistic means. This is where the majority of scientists disagree. My question is, why be so dogmatic and dismissive when we know full well our limitations; why be so arrogant (in stance taken), as well captured by a quote below?

This is what the renowned professor Richard Lewiston has said;

"Our willingness to accept scientific claims that are against common sense is the key to an understanding of the real struggle between science and the supernatural. We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism.

It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door."
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

Existentialanxiety wrote:But my question is, what is the basis of insisting on a premise (materialism) when the evidence don't support the hypothesis? Because I know that today's biological community considers any other approach heretical. Why?
Because any other "approach" would be outside of their boundaries....
Leog

Post by Leog »

Why religion does not operate with materialistic proofs?

For the same reason science does not operate with idealistic 'proofs'.

Science is based on materialism by definition.
Bohm2
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Post by Bohm2 »

Leog wrote:Science is based on materialism by definition.
Science is based on the scientific method or methodological naturalism because to date it has produced the most progress. Science is not based on materialism. Materialism/physicalism is a philosophical term that is vacuous, because it changes as our physics/science changes:
Conceptions of the physical/material are, at best, contingently tied to tentative theories in physics. Since such theories are open and evolving, the concept of the physical [or material] is unstable and, hence, not sufficiently well-defined for the purpose of framing empirical or metaphysical theses. There simply is no definite a posteriori concept of the physical available for use by the physicalist. The significance of this conclusion for physicalism is also clear: if our conception of the physical is tied to open and evolving theories in physics and there is, therefore, no well defined a posteriori conception of the physical, it follows that it is pointless to inquire about the content of the theses of physicalism since they too have no well-defined content.
https://www.academia.edu/237143/Chomsky ... hysicalism
Anthony Edgar
Favorite Philosopher: Paula Haigh

Post by Anthony Edgar »

Is it possible that a strictly materialistic version of the origin of life is an inevitable result of the atheism that emerged from the (so-called) Enlightenment?  The "Enlightened" atheism-dominated intelligentsia may have decided that since there is no God, there was no creation, but a "scientific" explanation of life's genesis is needed if an atheistic worldview is to be intellectually justified.

My opinion is, earthworms will figure out how to split the atom before human beings with their puny science figure out how God created life.  However, this won't stop certain scientists convincing themselves that they've solved the riddles of life's origins.  Attempting to explain scientific impossibilities with science will only result in science-flavoured fairy tales - as is already evident.
"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe in them." - George Orwell

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream