The Knowledge Explosion - Racing Towards A Cliff

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Ormond

The Knowledge Explosion - Racing Towards A Cliff

Post by Ormond »

Fellow Members,

Here's a topic of great interest to me, which I invite you to examine, explore and challenge. I have a lot to say about this, and will do so in reply to your interest, if there is any. For now, as a place to start, I've tried to boil my thesis down in to two concise assertions. Hopefully this will help you quickly decide whether this topic is one that you wish to engage.
ASSERTION #1: As knowledge development accelerates, and the products of that process become ever more powerful, it's inevitable that sooner or later a power will emerge which humans are not mature and/or skilled enough to successfully manage. ("Successfully manage" is defined as avoiding civilization crushing events, such as nuclear war for example.)

ASSERTION #2: If the above is true, then scientific progress is not only dangerous, but largely pointless, given that all the many projects which are successful will be swept away in the civilization crushing event.
If you wish to challenge these assertions, you might begin by making a case that human beings can successfully manage every single power which emerges from the knowledge development process, no matter how large that power is, or how fast it emerges. This is what would be necessary to avoid civilization collapse and defeat the assertions above.

Go for it!
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
Aristocles
Premium Member

Re: The Knowledge Explosion - Racing Towards A Cliff

Post by Aristocles »

I disagree prima facia with both assertions. However, I agree humans cannot successfully manages all the power we appear to understand. (I think Atreyu made a similar case for which I agree on another post).

ASSERTION #1: I disagree because the creation of power is false power if it is self-defeating (i.e. it was never power if it cannot accomplish that for which we declare it has power).

ASSERTION #2: I cannot agree as written, because I disagree with OP #1. However, I agree science itself is seemingly pointless. For science to have a point, it must enter the realm of philosophy. I do consider the practical application of science to have purpose, but only because there is a form of philosophy builty into the application. The philosophical aspects appear to be where we consider reasoned debate in "science." Science itself appears to be more of a discipline aspiring to examine one thing, less purposeful, more analytic than purposeful.

I do agree the patterned history of the world is marked by patterned dialectical conflict and the world appears ripe for something cataclysmic of a wide scale, but I think there is also a clear pattern of such thoughts being normal from generation to generation, making any actual event near impossible to actually predict.
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

I agree with assertion #1, but assertion #2 does not follow from it. Because there is something we cannot manage, it does not mean it will destroy us. I think it is safe to say that we cannot manage Jupiter. While we do have to give it respect, we do not have to fear it.

Because we will be the creators of the technology that eventually we will not be able to "manage", we simply need to do our best to put it on a trajectory that is safe.

Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Hi James,
JamesOfSeattle wrote:I agree with assertion #1, but assertion #2 does not follow from it. Because there is something we cannot manage, it does not mean it will destroy us.
Let's look at Assertion #1 again,...
As knowledge development accelerates, and the products of that process become ever more powerful
Ever more powerful tools, at an ever faster rate. Doesn't this inevitably lead to something we can't handle at some point in time?

We might successfully manage 99% of the ever more powerful tools, but as the scale of these powers grows it only takes one power running amok to crush civilization. This isn't futuristic speculation as the current situation is that nuclear weapons are capable of crushing modern civilization within an hour, right now, today. All these assertions do is take the current reality as a starting point, and then add "ever more powerful tools at an ever faster rate" to the equation.
Because we will be the creators of the technology that eventually we will not be able to "manage", we simply need to do our best to put it on a trajectory that is safe.
My argument is that doing our best would involve reviewing the heart of the problem, our "more is better" relationship with knowledge, and power. This attitude has served us well for a long time, but is now out of date and in need of updating. Failure to do so will most likely lead to the collapse of civilization, a process which would largely erase most of the knowledge which we were able to manage.

Thus, if only one power of sufficient scale does escape our control, most of the rest of science is a largely pointless effort, as all the great accomplishments will be erased in the civilization collapse.

Why do we not give eight year olds shotguns? Because a single mistake can be catastrophic. As adults we're in the same situation. If we keep giving ourselves ever more powerful tools, sooner or later we'll blow our heads off.
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

We do not give eight year olds shotguns because shotguns are DESIGNED to blow people's heads off. We do, however, give them something much more powerful: an education.

You say that "[f]ailure to [review the 'more is better' relationship with knowledge] will most likely lead to the collapse of civilization ...". I recognize that it's possible, but I don't see how it is more likely than not. My expectation/hope is that once technology develops past the point of our ability to manage it, it will manage itself.

By the way, my view is heavily influenced by David Deutsch's book: The Beginning of Infinity.

Ormond

Post by Ormond »

We do not give eight year olds shotguns because shotguns are DESIGNED to blow people's heads off. We do, however, give them something much more powerful: an education.
Yes, shotguns are designed to create carnage. And we give them to adults, but not to children. Why? Because we reason that the power/judgment relationship is too far out of balance with kids. Too much power, not enough judgment. Very simple common logic, right?

That's all I'm using to make this case, the very same reasoning. There's some limit to how much power adult human beings in their current form can successfully manage. Accelerating knowledge development means that sooner or later we will exceed that limit.

An exception I am happy to grant is that we could possibly use new knowledge to change ourselves so we can handle more power. But in any form we are unlikely to be able to handle unlimited power, so the same basic equation still applies, just at a later date.
You say that "[f]ailure to [review the 'more is better' relationship with knowledge] will most likely lead to the collapse of civilization ...". I recognize that it's possible, but I don't see how it is more likely than not.
Are you arguing that we can successfully manage every single power that might emerge from knowledge development, no matter how large such powers might be, or how fast they may arrive?

I'd be willing to agree we can likely manage many or most coming powers. But that's not good enough.

As the powers grow in scale more of them will have the ability to crush civilization. A failure with any one of such powers is game over, even if we successfully manage all the others. Nuclear weapons are the obvious example, and they are just the beginning of this phenomena of huge powers.
My expectation/hope is that once technology develops past the point of our ability to manage it, it will manage itself.
Every technology will successfully manage itself at all times without fail forever? Remember, when the powers reach a certain scale a failure with just one means the end of all.
By the way, my view is heavily influenced by David Deutsch's book: The Beginning of Infinity.
Ok, tell us about the book then please. What does he have to say about these issues?
Platonymous

Post by Platonymous »

Ormond wrote: ASSERTION #1: As knowledge development accelerates, and the products of that process become ever more powerful, it's inevitable that sooner or later a power will emerge which humans are not mature and/or skilled enough to successfully manage. ("Successfully manage" is defined as avoiding civilization crushing events, such as nuclear war for example.)

ASSERTION #2: If the above is true, then scientific progress is not only dangerous, but largely pointless, given that all the many projects which are successful will be swept away in the civilization crushing event.
Claiming scientific progress to be pointless because it will be lost again, comes close to saying life is pointless because it ends. It’s a valid point to make, but I guess not really what you were going for. You also seem to assume that without scientific progress the end of civilization would be avoided, that however is not the case. The sun will give out at some point, and there’s always the possibility of a meteor strike. The only fighting chance we have of avoiding those predestined end times is scientific progress.

Regarding your first assertion; haven’t we already reached that level of power? Nuclear power is strong enough to wipe us out, what difference does it make if it takes 1 nuke or 20. At this point it doesn't matter how powerful it will get beyond that. It is not the power that is dangerous, but the accessibility of it. If everyone could build a nuke with parts from home depot we would have gone off the cliff decades ago.

The level of power however stands in no relation to it’s manageability. Only because a product is more powerful does not mean that it is therefore less manageable.

And just like the level of power will reach a point where any further advancements would have no effect on the likelihood of civilization surviving it’s use, society could reach a point at which no power becomes unmanageable. Therefore I do not see the proclaimed inevitability of an unmanageable power.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

At no point in history have humans been mature and skilled enough to control their progress. It's not an ideal situation but it beats living in caves in constant danger of weather, predators, parasites, starvation, thirst, poisoning, having bugs crawl into our orifices as we sleep, etc.

Humanity: Onwards and upwards, blithering into the unknown! Business as usual.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Iapetus

Post by Iapetus »

If the above is true, then scientific progress is not only dangerous, but largely pointless.

The scientific progress which has enabled a world which, until recently, has been growing exponentially, to communicate more effectively, to be better fed, in better health than ever before with less absolute poverty. Due in large part to advances in science. If you think that you can stop people asking questions and wanting to know answers, well, good luck with that one. If you think that once knowledge has been attained, it can be controlled then, again, good luck. Knowledge can be dangerous but is also hugely beneficial and you can’t put a genie back in the bottle. If knowledge achieved through scientific progress is largely pointless, then why do we bother with civilization?

As Platonymous has indicated, we may be destroyed regardless. I am with Greta; we may be blithering into the unknown but that is all we can do and we have to try to make the most of it, which is not saying much but is probably the only option, short of creating a society on a model similar to that of North Korea.
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Regarding your first assertion; haven’t we already reached that level of power?
Yes, nukes might be called the first existential threat technology. My point is that an accelerating knowledge explosion means more threats of that scale will emerge. Success will depend on successfully managing every one of them, every day, forever.
Nuclear power is strong enough to wipe us out, what difference does it make if it takes 1 nuke or 20.
It would seem having 20 technologies of that scale is indeed a different situation than having just one.
The level of power however stands in no relation to it’s manageability. Only because a product is more powerful does not mean that it is therefore less manageable.
The level of power means there is less room for error. With more modest technology, we can screw up, and then fix it. With "existential threat technology" that option may not be available.
Therefore I do not see the proclaimed inevitability of an unmanageable power.
You are in good company! Everybody argues for the "more is better" status quo because it is a very old and happy story we don't wish to part with. I believe the happy story might possibly be preserved, but not by pushing forward blindly with the status quo. My argument is that we've reached a point where our "more is better" relationship with knowledge needs a review and update. We will either learn this through reasoning, or through pain, more likely the later.

-- Updated February 9th, 2016, 7:10 pm to add the following --
If you think that you can stop people asking questions and wanting to know answers, well, good luck with that one.
I'm inviting readers to ask deep questions about our relationship with knowledge. It's my critics who wish to not conduct that investigation.
I am with Greta; we may be blithering into the unknown but that is all we can do and we have to try to make the most of it,
But that's not all we can do. We're already doing what I'm suggesting right here in this thread, having a conversation about our relationship with knowledge. There's nothing stopping us from having a long, deep, serious investigation in to that relationship. There's nothing stopping us from questioning dogmas that may have been an excellent idea for a long time, until we entered a revolutionary era characterized by a knowledge explosion.

On another forum some scientists said essentially what you said, there's nothing we can do, there's no point in even discussing this etc. And then they proposed spreading out across the galaxy as the solution. They lacked the confidence in their ability to have a conversation, but did have confidence we can migrate across the galaxy. These are not reasoned responses, but emotional ones. Apologies, but such emotions are essentially nothing more grand than intellectual laziness.
Iapetus

Post by Iapetus »

Reply to Ormond:
On another forum some scientists said essentially what you said, there's nothing we can do, there's no point in even discussing this etc.

I did not say there's nothing we can do. I said we have to try to make the most of it, which is something completely different. That will, of course, involve discussions. My point was about the difficulty of controlling knowledge and you don't seem to have recognised that.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I think assertion #1 may well be true, but I disagree with assertion #2 for this reason: If a good/interesting thing is destined to end one day that doesn't necessarily mean that the good/interesting thing was pointless.

-- Updated Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:52 pm to add the following --

Apologies to Platonymous who already made this point.
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Steve3007 wrote:I think assertion #1 may well be true, but I disagree with assertion #2 for this reason: If a good/interesting thing is destined to end one day that doesn't necessarily mean that the good/interesting thing was pointless.
Ok, that's a fair point. I agree my assertion #2 was too sweeping.

Let's imagine we have a nuclear war 50 years from now. If we cure cure cancer now and save a lot of suffering now, that's not pointless, agreed.

However, basic research in to things like the Higgs Boson, dark matter, black holes etc would probably be pointless, as we wouldn't have time to make use of that information. Or, one could argue however that it still isn't pointless in that it was fun to learn that information, and that life is short, and fun is good.

My argument is that we need a more sophisticated relationship with knowledge than the simplistic formula of "more is better". That was true for a long time, but is now a dangerously outdated paradigm, imho. Yes, I have evidence. Thousands of nuclear missiles poised to erase modern civilization in less than an hour. What better example could there possibly be???

So for instance, just one example, we could end research in to Higgs Boson, and liberate a couple billion dollars to study our relationship with knowledge and how it might be updated to better meet the situation we now find ourselves in.

Let's observe how we are happy to spend a couple billion on research with no known practical benefit, but the idea of spending a nickel on studying our relationship with knowledge (the foundation of the modern world) is considered rather too inconvenient.

I've chatted with real scientists about this, and though they are very intelligent and well educated, they simply don't get this. It's too much of a threat to their "more is better" worldview. They just don't have the vision to see beyond it. Point being, so let's not wait for them to fix this.
Iapetus

Post by Iapetus »

Reply to Ormond:

In October 1961, with American and Soviet tanks confronting each other across Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin, large numbers of people around the world were expecting nuclear war within the week. They believed this war would have the capacity to destroy civilisation as we know it. I am not exaggerating. Almost exactly a year later, Kennedy and Krushchev were facing off over the impending installation of Soviet missiles in Cuba. In many western countries, schoolchildren were trained as to what to do in the case of a siren warning of nuclear attack. Protective concrete bunkers were built. Governments planned and practised worst-case scenarios.

That was more than fifty years ago. Since then, civilization has been threatened by nuclear attack, nuclear accident, epidemics of influenza and several other viral diseases, the Millenium Bug and sundry other menaces.
However, basic research in to things like the Higgs Boson, dark matter, black holes etc would probably be pointless, as we wouldn't have time to make use of that information.

You could have said the same thing fifty years ago in relation to artificial satellites, antibiotics, prosthetics, the expanding universe, television, quantum theory, computers, the internet, DNA testing, agronomics and a million other scientific programs which, at the time, were in their infancy. Would you have stopped these on the basis that scientists did not know exactly where their research was going? Or would you have been selective? If you were selective, what criteria would you have employed to select? How would you know which programs were most likely to yield beneficial results? I doubt that computers would have been one of them. As late as 1977, Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977, stated, "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
So for instance, just one example, we could end research in to Higgs Boson, and liberate a couple billion dollars to study our relationship with knowledge and how it might be updated to better meet the situation we now find ourselves in.`

That is your view and you are entitled to it. I suspect, however that your comment would leave thousands of scientists slack-jawed in astonishment at the ignorance of the potential in the discovery.

If you really think that there has been no thought given to our relationship with knowledge then a few minutes’ search on the internet would certainly help you. Richard Feynman, a rather famous physicist, had a few things to say. He certainly did not have all the answers but he did respond to most of the points you have mentioned. The link to a 15-minute commentary by him, entitled, 'The value of science' is attached below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbh_6tQ6nm8
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Ormond:
My argument is that we need a more sophisticated relationship with knowledge than the simplistic formula of "more is better".
Let's observe how we are happy to spend a couple billion on research with no known practical benefit, but the idea of spending a nickel on studying our relationship with knowledge (the foundation of the modern world) is considered rather too inconvenient.
I pick out these quotes because I'm interested in what you mean when you contrast the concept of "more" knowledge with the concept of "our relationship with knowledge". What do you mean by that? In what way would we go about spending more than a nickel studying our relationship with knowledge?

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream