Should humans be responsible for their own evolution?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Ariel-S
New Trial Member

Should humans be responsible for their own evolution?

Post by Ariel-S »

Humanity descends from apes.

Genes are amazing! The amount of information they encode, processes and transmit is enormous.

There's a cell in the bone marrow that fractures itself and releases its parts into the blood flow and we call them platelets. Neurons can be as long as our extremities and deliver the materials from the core to the extremes using a very funny axoplasmic transportation at the incredible speed of a couple of centimeters/day, but the "electric system" runs at 100 mts/sec.
Going millions of years back in time we find that a primitive cell actually "ate" (phagocyte) a bacteria and made it "work" as the energy producer (the mitochondria), that has its own autonomous genome.

The process of evolution is really slow, the chances of error in the replication of the DNA is relatively low. But mutations do occur, and changes are visible (all forms of life follow the same basic rules, so far).

Eventually, homo sapiens appeared and with the ability to think and manipulate thing in an increasing complexity, stopped his own evolution (debateable). Through the discovery of diseases and treatments, humans are now able to continue living a relative "normal" life. Hypertension, cardiac diseases, diabetes, and many others, are "sustained" and passed down to the next generation. Actually, one of the most important questions a physician asks the patients is if they have a familiar history of one of the above.

The way I see it, humans have a couple of options:

1) Drugs: pharmacology (personally the most interesting thing in the universe) is advancing daily. Things that are coming and that we already have are pretty cool, the downside is the dependence that generates, and the power it gives to the pharmaceutic industry. I think this is the closest step, but there must be a way to assure that EVERYONE gets what he needs. Here I include the biological therapies, immunotherapy, and the use of monoclonal antibodies.

2) Stem cells: not approved yet, but they show potential. I don't think this would be a big problem.

3) Gene therapy: This is the one! In the near future, I'm pretty sure we're going to be able to change large portions of our own genome, targeting a specific group of cells (e.g. kidney, liver) or targeting germ cells (the whole organism). This opens the possibility to rearrange some physiological flaws, eradicate errors, incorporate functions and more. The cost might be the extinction of homo sapiens and the birth of multiple evolved species (e.g. tolerate changes in air, protection from radiation, infrared vision).

4) Deep Science-fiction.

So the questions are:
Should we do it?
And if the answer is yes, how could that achieve ethically?

In the future, I see myself studying mathematics to see if there is a way to put numbers to my physiologic concepts towards this end (suggestions, if any, are appreciated so I can start reading).
Steve3007

Re: Should humans be responsible for their own evolution?

Post by Steve3007 »

Humanity descends from apes
One minor correction: It seems to be more accurate to say that we have a common ancestor with our fellow apes. Not that we descended from them.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Steve3007 wrote:
Humanity descends from apes
One minor correction: It seems to be more accurate to say that we have a common ancestor with our fellow apes. Not that we descended from them.
Or rather, we are apes.

Re: the OP, yes, all of the above, and also biotech and nanomaterials.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

About the OP:

I can certainly see the sense of gene therapy as a way to eliminate things that are clear-cut physiological genetic disorders. But more subtle things, and especially psychological as opposed to physiological, conditions seems more problematic because of the complex relationship between genes and their expression.

Some of the human traits that we generally regard as counter-productive, such as aggressiveness or a tendency to depression, could also be inseparable from things like creativity. if the accumulation of human knowledge does survive for the long-term, then it's probably almost inevitable that small sub-sections of the human race will become increasingly artificially genetically engineered. But will we ever work out the complex web of cause and effect that leads from genes to genius? I'm joking here a bit, but what if we accidentally switch off the genius gene? We won't have anybody clever enough to turn it back on again.
Felix

Post by Felix »

The way I see it, humans have a couple of options:

4) Deep Science-fiction.
Monty, I'll take door #4! :lol:
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

Of course humans should be responsible for their own evolution. Who would argue against us taking control?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Not only that, Atreyu, it seems we started taking control of our own evolution, and those of many other species, some time ago.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Atreyu

Post by Atreyu »

Well, what I meant Greta, was that as a general principle of course we would say it was a good thing (should) for us to be able to control our own evolution. If Mankind could control his own evolution, he could direct it in the way in wish he wanted it to go. I didn't mean it in the sense of disputing the idea that Man shouldn't 'mess around with nature'.

The idea that Man might not be better off if he was in control of his own evolution, his own destiny, is an idea worth pursuing, and seems quite plausible seeing what Man has always done to Himself in the name of 'taking control' or 'reforming' things'. One could easily argue for 'playing it safe' and not intentionally trying to alter the course of the species as a whole, particularly considering that the nature of the endeavor could easily and quickly put Man in the position of not being able to fix things and repair any mistakes....
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Uummm... we're changing our own evolution already, and not in very good ways.
"As usual... it depends."
Felix

Post by Felix »

Technical manipulation and control is not evolution, a genuine evolutionary step for man would be a change in his nature, an expansion of his consciousness, becoming less insensitive to the natural world, less greedy and warlike, etc. Technical knowledge will not take him there and in fact has become a crutch to support the negative traits I mentioned.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Felix wrote:Technical manipulation and control is not evolution, a genuine evolutionary step for man would be a change in his nature, an expansion of his consciousness, becoming less insensitive to the natural world, less greedy and warlike, etc. Technical knowledge will not take him there and in fact has become a crutch to support the negative traits I mentioned.
Thing is, what comes with technical control is concomitant moral development. It's only to be expected - the longer the human race survives, the more moral dilemmas it encounters, deals with and sees (at least some of) the consequences of the actions. It's a constant process of fairly, if not fully, holistic learning.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Thing is, what comes with technical control is concomitant moral development.
I think you're what's called an "optimist," Greta ... It hasn't so far: war, genicide, massive environmental destruction, etc., and technology has been the tool that made these atrocities possible. Of course the game is not over yet. I am rooting for the home team but they're down 2 to 1 in the 9th inning. Coach, please do not let Casey pinch hit!!
Atreyu

Post by Atreyu »

Felix wrote:Technical manipulation and control is not evolution, a genuine evolutionary step for man would be a change in his nature, an expansion of his consciousness, becoming less insensitive to the natural world, less greedy and warlike, etc. Technical knowledge will not take him there and in fact has become a crutch to support the negative traits I mentioned.
I completely concur.

The reason why we have so much technology and knowledge is because we need it. And we need all of this "extra stuff", that our ancestors did not need in the least, precisely because we are not evolving. We are finding it more and more difficult to adapt to nature (survive) because we're moving towards extinction (devolution).

You got it right by suggesting that evolution implies a positive change in being --- in what we are. And the being of Mankind has actually gotten worse since the Stone Age. Only our knowledge has increased. But evolution implies a change of being, not just a change in knowledge, although knowledge must also grow in parallel with being.

An increase in knowledge without an increase in being, or an increase in being without a corresponding increase in knowledge, both lead to bad results. And if the two diverge too far from each other it will eventually lead to a total collapse of civilization.

And modern man's knowledge has gotten way ahead of his level of being. His level of being is not much higher than an ape or monkey, yet his knowledge has soared to ever new heights. This cannot bode well for his future, and the current situation is not much different than teaching a bunch of gorillas how to use machine guns and then placing them on an isolated island, to survive as they may...
Felix

Post by Felix »

Do you see a cure for the disease you've diagnosed, Atreyu?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Atreyu wrote:An increase in knowledge without an increase in being, or an increase in being without a corresponding increase in knowledge, both lead to bad results. And if the two diverge too far from each other it will eventually lead to a total collapse of civilization.

And modern man's knowledge has gotten way ahead of his level of being. His level of being is not much higher than an ape or monkey, yet his knowledge has soared to ever new heights. This cannot bode well for his future, and the current situation is not much different than teaching a bunch of gorillas how to use machine guns and then placing them on an isolated island, to survive as they may...
I agree that it's optimal for maturity to accompany empowerment, but I differ from the vast majority of observers who assume that what is happening is problematic or anomalous.

It may be that the biosphere is on the way towards reproduction (spreading its "seeds") and that humans are on track regarding the biosphere's reproductive phase, fulfilling a role in the biosphere that's akin to that of imaginal discs in insect metamorphosis. That would seem more in accord with the way nature operates than the idea that humans are an anomaly that somehow got lucky and is now wrecking the joint with bizarre, unnatural behaviour.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream