All plants are carnivores

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

All plants are carnivores

Post by Mark1955 »

.... so. where does that leave Vegans.

Briefly, a lot of the CO2 in the world comes from animal respiration, the C comes from the body of the animal that breathes out. Plants grow by photosynthesis using, at least partly, animal derived CO2 ergo.....
QED :shock:
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: All plants are carnivores

Post by Sy Borg »

Seriously Mark? :lol: I too think that vegans aren't thinking things through but this is just a cheap point that falls at the first level of analysis, ie. what is the cost to the animals of the carbon consumed? Zip. It's akin to animals eating leaf litter and empty seed pods. Harmless behaviour. Of course, plants are hardly little angels themselves, engaging in ruthless slow motion battles with each other for sunlight and land. Life is nasty. Beautiful, fascinating and often heartbreakingly poignant, but brutal.

This presents vegans with a problem in that most organisms' lives depends on them harming or killing other organisms. Meanwhile, we can't know how many rats, mice, birds, spiders, insects, molluscs and worms die due to displacement or accident in order to grow and harvest our food. It would seem illogical to baulk at eating the occasional prawn or sardine when our vegetables result in the deaths of intelligent mammals like rats and mice.

The ethical question is ultimately deciding which diets and lifestyles generally involve the least damage, needless suffering and waste.
Mark1955

Post by Mark1955 »

Greta wrote:The ethical question is ultimately deciding which lifestyles generally involve the least damage, needless suffering and waste.
No humans at all. :twisted:
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Mark1955 wrote:
Greta wrote:The ethical question is ultimately deciding which lifestyles generally involve the least damage, needless suffering and waste.
What about you, your family and friends?
Mark1955

Post by Mark1955 »

Greta wrote:
Mark1955 wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

What about you, your family and friends?
Nah!
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Every organism on planet Earth will likely get killed by another species and often separately get consumed by yet another organism. The main variable is: will the organism get killed first and then consumed or will the events happen essentially simultaneously? Personally I prefer the former.

Agribusiness follows this model. The jungle often does not.
"As usual... it depends."
Mark1955

Post by Mark1955 »

LuckyR wrote:The main variable is: will the organism get killed first and then consumed or will the events happen essentially simultaneously? Personally I prefer the former.
Why
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote:Every organism on planet Earth will likely get killed by another species and often separately get consumed by yet another organism. The main variable is: will the organism get killed first and then consumed or will the events happen essentially simultaneously? Personally I prefer the former.

True, but there's more to life than the manner of death, so to speak.

Which is preferable? A free and fearful life followed by death of unknown horribleness? Or a life of extreme captivity, stuck in your own filth (which you then absorb and pass on to diners), but your death will be at the low end of possible horror?

If there's no other choice I think I'd take the risk on the former - live fast and die pretty!
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Mark1955 wrote:
LuckyR wrote:The main variable is: will the organism get killed first and then consumed or will the events happen essentially simultaneously? Personally I prefer the former.
Why
Oh, just random personal preference. Though I admit I lack practical experience, I imagine dying under hospice care is "better" than getting eaten alive by a tiger.

-- Updated October 25th, 2016, 9:47 am to add the following --
Greta wrote:
LuckyR wrote:Every organism on planet Earth will likely get killed by another species and often separately get consumed by yet another organism. The main variable is: will the organism get killed first and then consumed or will the events happen essentially simultaneously? Personally I prefer the former.

True, but there's more to life than the manner of death, so to speak.

Which is preferable? A free and fearful life followed by death of unknown horribleness? Or a life of extreme captivity, stuck in your own filth (which you then absorb and pass on to diners), but your death will be at the low end of possible horror?

If there's no other choice
I think I'd take the risk on the former - live fast and die pretty!
In the overly simplistic two option model you present, many would agree with you. Though in Real Life wild animals are wild animals and farm animals are farm animals, they don't get to choose one over the other. Their lives (and deaths) are different, but reasonable minds will disagree on the relative benefits of one and the other. And just as we can discuss whether we would prefer to be a wolf or a sheep, the actual animals don't get to pick. Similarly, even if 100% of everyone agreed that being a wolf was way, way better than being a sheep, that is not a reason to get rid of all the sheep and their "inferior" lives (and deaths), just as even if there was 100% consensus that being a wild animal was "better" than being a farm animal, is not justification for getting rid of agriculture nor hamburgers.
Mark1955

Post by Mark1955 »

LuckyR wrote:"LuckyR" - The main variable is: will the organism get killed first and then consumed or will the events happen essentially simultaneously? Personally I prefer the former."Mark1955" - Why "LucktR" - Oh, just random personal preference. Though I admit I lack practical experience, I imagine dying under hospice care is "better" than getting eaten alive by a tiger.
I suspect I'm a bit older than you. I've realised my big contributions to life are probably mostly behind me and that a lot of the future will be be pretty mundane. I've also talked to my dad over the last 6 months of his life spent in hospice like conditions. We were both agreed that living like a vegetable wasn't worth the effort. While actually being attacked and killed by a tiger would be s**t scary, it wouldn't last long and you wouldn't be around to get PTSD so of your two options it's my preferred route. In a way I'm trying ot make it happen. when I get on the rowing machine I give it a real go in the last minute, hopefully one day [not too soon but one day] that will be just a bit too much.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Mark1955 wrote:
LuckyR wrote:"LuckyR" - The main variable is: will the organism get killed first and then consumed or will the events happen essentially simultaneously? Personally I prefer the former."Mark1955" - Why "LucktR" - Oh, just random personal preference. Though I admit I lack practical experience, I imagine dying under hospice care is "better" than getting eaten alive by a tiger.
I suspect I'm a bit older than you. I've realised my big contributions to life are probably mostly behind me and that a lot of the future will be be pretty mundane. I've also talked to my dad over the last 6 months of his life spent in hospice like conditions. We were both agreed that living like a vegetable wasn't worth the effort. While actually being attacked and killed by a tiger would be s**t scary, it wouldn't last long and you wouldn't be around to get PTSD so of your two options it's my preferred route. In a way I'm trying ot make it happen. when I get on the rowing machine I give it a real go in the last minute, hopefully one day [not too soon but one day] that will be just a bit too much.
Don't be so sure, though it is possible I can see retirement just ahead, though I am not there right now.

Remember, the topic is NOT: how is the best way to die? The topic is: we are all going to get eaten, do you want to get eaten by worms and bacteria in your coffin (after your death) or do you want to get eaten while still alive?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Mark1955 wrote:
Exactly.

Also, it's not "agriculture" that condemns animals to torture but agribusiness, especially in relation to chickens and pigs.

Life can be very hard for other farm animals - mothers are separated from their offspring, there are painful procedures and eventually the animals will probably be killed. Perhaps it's not miles from living in the wild. In that case, non-tortured species used for food, work, resources, gaming and companionship would seem better positioned than most other species to survive this Anthropocene extinction event.

As always, the key to survival is either making yourself useful to the boss or slipping under the radar :)
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote:
Mark1955 wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Exactly.

Also, it's not "agriculture" that condemns animals to torture but agribusiness, especially in relation to chickens and pigs.

Life can be very hard for other farm animals - mothers are separated from their offspring, there are painful procedures and eventually the animals will probably be killed. Perhaps it's not miles from living in the wild. In that case, non-tortured species used for food, work, resources, gaming and companionship would seem better positioned than most other species to survive this Anthropocene extinction event.

As always, the key to survival is either making yourself useful to the boss or slipping under the radar :)
Your description of animal existence within agribusiness is fairly accurate, which is not a surprise because the lay understanding of the topic is pretty good. OTOH, it is my experience that the appreciation of the brutality (by Modern human eyes and sensibilities) of the wild animal experience is frankly quite poor and likely deserves more explanation (compared to the farm animal experience).
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

I don't see any sense in all this thread.

First of all, plants are obviously not carnivores, but even if they were... how is that related with veganism? Do they only want to eat "only things that don't eat other things" in your mind? Say that "C" is "meat" is literally selling pencils like diamonds.

Every carnivor chordate (the only thing that seem to be a problem to vegans are chordates) eat more animals than "one" or more animals than the number of animals it produces, or at least, "more weight. Small birds like sparrows eat three times their weight per day I think.

Veganism is just based in feelings, I don't have the same feelings, and that's all. I mean, if their argument is "it's more healthy" then they are not vegans, they are vegetarians, or they just don't eat meat. Going to "why" do they think that, is going to psichology or that kind of things, and asume that they are all equal, when it's not that way. Vegans don't treat better or worse the rest of humans by being vegans, and so, I don't mind about them.

I enjoy seeing "nature" more than many people, I can tell an enormous amount of "useless"facts about ants, for example. And I give value to diversity, a lot of value compared to many vegans (since I can at least explain what I'm talking about when I talk about diversity). But I don't have any bad feeling at all when an animal dies and I eat it. I can respect their feelings, but I don't see farmers and scientists as ignorant, stupid or bad people, they just do the same, they kill, and they eat. I see stupid to wear a death animal, but not because of the pain, but because of paying a lot for being... pretty? etc.

http://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/awKQ3qr_700b.jpg
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote:Your description of animal existence within agribusiness is fairly accurate, which is not a surprise because the lay understanding of the topic is pretty good. OTOH, it is my experience that the appreciation of the brutality (by Modern human eyes and sensibilities) of the wild animal experience is frankly quite poor and likely deserves more explanation (compared to the farm animal experience).
Yes, we greatly underestimate suffering in the wild. Humans tend to forget why they trashed ecosystems to build all this - to escape the dangers of the wild.

However, nature is more of a lucky draw than a guaranteed fate like a farm. There's always a small minority of dominant animals that seem to at least enjoy some very good times (reminiscent of human society, only the lives of "human dominants" are much more secure and less fraught than those of other species who must constantly fight for their position). Many of the middling animals can lead reasonable existences, but the dangers are always present.

It also depends on the farm and the attitude of farmers and farm hands. Some are more kind or cruel, like having a good or a bad boss. Being a slave (ie. farm animal) to a "bad boss" (unempathetic farmer) for life would seem a hard fate.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream