Is Science Non-sense?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Synthesis

Re: Is Science Non-sense?

Post by Synthesis »

Socrateaze wrote: A question: if we search our whole life for the meaning of life, have we missed out on the meaning of life?
Living is the meaning of life.
Socrateaze
Favorite Philosopher: George Carlin

Post by Socrateaze »

Ranvier wrote:Science is good... mKay
Geek lives matter!

...meaning of life is to make babies, lots of babies.

Meditate on that.
Who ever sleeps with me will get Hades babies. :wink:

-- Updated August 27th, 2017, 2:59 pm to add the following --
-1- wrote:
Socrateaze wrote:A question: if we search our whole life for the meaning of life, have we missed out on the meaning of life?
Meaning what?
I couldn't be clearer. The meaning and answer is in the question.

Is the meaning of life to look for the meaning of life, I don't think so. If the meaning is something else like, as Ravier says, making babies, which I'm not sure I agree with, then we have spent all the time looking for the meaning of life, while we could find it just by living it. So is just living life not easier, we may find the meaning of life without knowing it. I can't see how sitting in front of books and writing on forums the whole day we will find it. While we look for the meaning of life we stop living and that is my problem.

-- Updated August 27th, 2017, 3:00 pm to add the following --

*Ranvier

-- Updated August 27th, 2017, 3:02 pm to add the following --
Synthesis wrote:
Socrateaze wrote: A question: if we search our whole life for the meaning of life, have we missed out on the meaning of life?
Living is the meaning of life.
I agree. Searching for meanings, will cause that life passes you by, which holds the meaning of life somewhere in anyway. What will we do when we find the meaning - I shudder to think.

- If you can paint the wind, I will tell you the secrets of the soul.
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

Socrateaze/General
There is an entire thread on the meaning of life.

In another thread I proposed Absolute principles of our Universe that we can observe to deduce the "purpose" for life:
1. To become "better"
- If we observe the nature, we can distinguish two patterns:
A. Life chooses simplicity of structure and uniformity within species but benefits in survival due to numbers: bacteria, insects, algae
B. Life chooses another route, that of complexity of organism's structure in body systems and diversity in genetic material: animal kingdom
Humans are interesting species embracing both: numbers and complexity, taking the dominant place as the apex species.
2. This leads to second principle: that of complexity, which according to first principle (1B) is better.
3. Third principle is that of the balance, which we can observe everywhere: super-symmetry, plain symmetry, particle and wave, expansion and contraction, or human body systems of say: Calcitonin/PTH (high PTH > osteoporosis), or Dopamine/Acetyl choline (low dopamine > Parkinson's) Too much of any one thing is not good... goes directly to what Socrateaze said: experience and learn in balance.

We can extrapolate the conclusion of the purpose from all three principles. As for the meaning: as conscious sentient beings we determine the meaning. Without our consciousness this place would be boring, still beautiful but without anyone to notice. Presumably the meaning becomes > to make this place meaningful > this is exactly what we are doing.
Making the World a better place.

So cheer up :)
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

Ranvier wrote:Socrateaze/General
There is an entire thread on the meaning of life.

In another thread I proposed Absolute principles of our Universe that we can observe to deduce the "purpose" for life:
1. To become "better"
A. Life chooses simplicity of structure and uniformity within species but benefits in survival due to numbers: bacteria, insects, algae
B. Life chooses another route, that of complexity of organism's structure in body systems and diversity in genetic material: animal kingdom
Humans are interesting species embracing both: numbers and complexity, taking the dominant place as the apex species.
2. This leads to second principle: that of complexity, which according to first principle (1B) is better.
3. Third principle is that of the balance, which we can observe everywhere: super-symmetry, plain symmetry, particle and wave, expansion and contraction, or human body systems of say: Calcitonin/PTH (high PTH > osteoporosis), or Dopamine/Acetyl choline (low dopamine > Parkinson's) Too much of any one thing is not good... goes directly to what Socrateaze said: experience and learn in balance.

We can extrapolate the conclusion of the purpose from all three principles. As for the meaning: as conscious sentient beings we determine the meaning. Without our consciousness this place would be boring, still beautiful but without anyone to notice. Presumably the meaning becomes > to make this place meaningful > this is exactly what we are doing.

Indeed. Like I said in a thread about evil: if evil WERE to embody someone, why would they destroy the earth or harm the host? Would they not try to make this a paradise instead? Why would evil harm its own host, (presuming a human/animal loses the "evil" when it dies). I don't think science is nonsense. Since it is our device, it grows along with us. I think science, religion and life itself is trail and error and just because there is error, we shouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater and call anything, for that matter, nonsense.

There is a difference between anarchy and evil. Can anyone see this? It might hold the answer to that nothing is nonsense, accept those with a lower consciousness that have no aspirations and seek to spite themselves and others by living like fools; evil does not inhabit fools or anarchists. Science is a step in the right direction, religion can be helpful, but if its going to be run and followed by "fools" it just feeds on itself and its illusions.

Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Sythethesis:
Is the knowledge of the bird and ant and cat intellectual or non-intellectual? Is their knowledge delusion? If the answer to the latter is yes and the answer to the former is non-intellectual then the intellect cannot be the source of delusion.
It just is.
Is this non-answer a zen thing? You are the one who has made distinctions between delusion and clarity, relative knowledge and real understanding, intellectual and non-intellectual and now you say "it just is"? Now you talk about the knowledge of a bird and an ant and a cat and human being and say they just are without regard to the distinctions you have made?
You have to accept the imperfection of knowledge like you do everything else.
What you understand is cause and effect. Beyond that there is no understanding.
But an understanding of cause and effect is non-sense? Delusion? Why even bother with cause and effect knowledge if it is non-sense. Why not just tap your fingers on your knee and imagine you are communicating with people around the world? (Don't forget to hit send.)
It makes sense if you choose to accept the current dogma.
Your dog is barking up the wrong tree.
Squirrels store-up food so they have something to eat in the winter.
If I were to say people store-up food so they have something to eat in the winter you would point out that they may not live until the winter or the food will spoil or be eaten by squirrels (whether or not the stored-up food) or …
Real understanding is impossible for everybody. Clarity is what is possible [seeing things as close to what they actually are].
If “real understanding” is impossible then drop the chatter about real understanding. It is not something you understand and there is no point talking about it. You cannot say that clarity is closer to seeing things as close to what they are because you have no standard, no measure, no real understanding of what they actually are. It is like swimming away from shore and thinking the more you swim the closer you get to shore.
In your example, it was delusion. In mine, it was realization. The former was an intellectual process, the later non-intellectual.
No, they are exactly the same until the moment it is discovered that she was not smiling at him. If he did not realize she was smiling at someone else that would still be a delusion you call realization. There is nothing in whatever it was he was experiencing that distinguishes delusion and realization.
Many people who see their first child being born are "speechless." Time and space disappear and only baby is present.
And now you are trying to describe what you claimed could not be described.
Job one is to believe in yourself 100%!!
Extremely stubborn and narrow minded people may believe in themselves 100% (!!) and this belief only fuels their belief that they are right. Even the slightest doubt is a failure to believe in themselves.
You are doing what most people do which is confusing the relative and the Absolute.

If the Absolute does not exist, if “real understanding” is impossible, then only those who think that there can be a confusion between relative and Absolute are confused.
Don't listen to what I am saying, instead, listen to your own heart. You will know if you are on the correct path if you are open enough to be aware of the constant feedback you are receiving from your own actions.
Well thanks for the platitudes. What my heart tells me is that all this talk about delusion is itself an insidious form of delusion and not a path to clarity. But I do not separate the heart and the mind. Believing in myself means believing that my ability to think is not an impediment to my well-being, that the intellects ability to deceive does not mean that it should be jettisoned but rather mastered. The examined life requires critical, rational thought because the heart can deceive as well.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Fooloso4 wrote:If “real understanding” is impossible then drop the chatter about real understanding. It is not something you understand and there is no point talking about it. You cannot say that clarity is closer to seeing things as close to what they are because you have no standard, no measure, no real understanding of what they actually are. It is like swimming away from shore and thinking the more you swim the closer you get to shore.
Isn't this simply just another variant of noumena v phenomena?

I think it's well documented that science does not have unlimited reach. Further, its reach is greater than its relevance, eg. one can measure how much oxytocin is released in a person whose loved one has survived a near-fatal accident, but it doesn't matter.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Fooloso4 wrote:Synthesis:
(Nested quote removed.)

It just is.
Is this non-answer a zen thing? You are the one who has made distinctions between delusion and clarity, relative knowledge and real understanding, intellectual and non-intellectual and now you say "it just is"? Now you talk about the knowledge of a bird and an ant and a cat and human being and say they just are without regard to the distinctions you have made?

Well thanks for the platitudes. What my heart tells me is that all this talk about delusion is itself an insidious form of delusion and not a path to clarity. But I do not separate the heart and the mind. Believing in myself means believing that my ability to think is not an impediment to my well-being, that the intellects ability to deceive does not mean that it should be jettisoned but rather mastered. The examined life requires critical, rational thought because the heart can deceive as well.
Fooloso4, consider the following...

Many years ago, I decided to take a couple of years off and dedicated myself to full-time Zen practice. I spent the first year as a resident at a Zen center in Northern California and had an incredible experience. Every now and again, we would have sesshins [j. for intensive meditation period] where we would have anywhere between 10 and 17 sitting [meditation] periods that would last from 30-45 minutes each. The sesshins could be 1,3,5, or 7 days long.

During the heart of the sesshin, roshi [j. for teacher] would call you in for dokusan [j.for interview] to assess your progress [best assessed when you were deep into the practice]. Dokusan was a formal routine where you ended up in a kneeling meditation posture about 18 inches in front of roshi. If you have never come in contact with a Zen master, then allow me to tell you that they have incredible powers of concentration and sitting that close was extremely intense [his eyes were like laser beams. Allow me to digress for a moment.

Once a week, there would be book reading where interested members of the sangha [the congregation, about 120 lay practitioners] would come to hear roshi talk about one subject or another. Many of these people had been Zen students for 5, 10, 15, 20 years or more. Roshi would speak and then he would take questions from the sangha members [about 30 would attend along with the residents]. Week after week this would go on and these folks would ask essentially the same questions over and over and over... . In Zen, there is only one teaching, meditation only. EVERYTHING is pointing to this one truth. And although are a million ways to say it, this is THE message.

Back to dokusan. When roshi would call me into dokusan, I would listen to his comments on my practice and then he would ask if I had any questions. I never did because if the practice is mediation only, what is there to ask, right? So, about eight or nine months into my residency, and in the middle of a very intensive 7 day sesshin, I decided to ask roshi a question. Another digression.

In Zen practice, you NEVER EVER concern yourself with another's practice. Another's practice is between them and roshi...period!

So here I am a foot and a half from roshi and he is drilling holes right to the back of my skull. He asks me if I have any questions and I asked him the following...how it was possible that all these people who came to the weekly book readings [some who had been Zen students for decades] asked the same inane questions over and over and over when the only lesson in Zen is...meditation only, that there can be no intellectual understanding? I told him it was driving me crazy listening to these people!

Well, roshi got this stern look on his face and I thought that I had just made a horrendous error [traditionally in Zen, the master would smack you or find some such way to snap you out of your delusional behavior (especially if you were talking about others' practice)]. A minute went by, then two and only this stone look on this completely focused man. After four or five minutes and when I thought I was about to either explode or pass out, roshi got this big grin on his face and said, "You think it bad for you, I've been listening to these people for over 30 years now!"

What I came to learn subsequently is that most people never learn to give up the subjective mind, even those in Zen practice for many years. They never accept that Reality can not be accessed by the thinking mind nor can reality be appreciated in any real way. The best we can do is keep as clear as possible [this is where the wisdom is gained], and live life moment by moment.

Fooloso4, you must be willing to allow the delusions of mind to calm themselves in the wisdom of the heart.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

It's difficult to know what might be best for others. Some prefer to emphasise emotions more, others function better by putting their emotions aside and thinking.

I'd said this before on the forum but I think the lesson in this prosaic instance has a deep lesson. The show: Michael Moseley's Trust Me, I'm a Doctor. The question at hand: comparing various foods for weight gain. What surprised everyone was that one participant gained weight eating chocolate but not bread, and another subject gained eating bread but not with chocolate.

Now imagine, before the show, the two women comparing dietary advice. If they based advice on their subjective experiences then each would be giving the other unhelpful information.

Syn, I've not sat at the feet of masters but did meditation and yoga classes, attending certain talks by spiritualists, attended meetings etc, and was generally interested in eastern spirituality. I wonder about what is really meant by Zen masters when they speak of the mind's delusion?

I suspect that the delusion is not concerned with the work of genius scientific pioneers but the anthropocentric bias - the notion that there's nothing important in reality aside from the goings on of one species on the surface of one planet. Thus there is a delusion that we humans are apart from nature rather than sophisticated expressions of it. On a related note, you will note that meditation masters try to stop their students from trying to impress. The idea is surely just to quietly seek authenticity, a point not lost on many secular philosophers and others down the ages.

Such simple advice - be authentic - but not in the face of powerful social and legal pressures.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Ranvier wrote: In another thread I proposed Absolute principles of our Universe that we can observe to deduce the "purpose" for life:
1. To become "better"

It's good to have someone write down the rules of Absolute Principles for everyone to follow in this universe. It's been long overdue. Until now, due to randomness of mutations, things just formed any way and in any direction as they happened. Now we have some guidelines, finally.

-- Updated 2017 August 28th, 5:45 am to add the following --
Synthesis wrote: Fooloso4, you must be willing to allow the delusions of mind to calm themselves in the wisdom of the heart.
I don't know if your advice will stick with Fooloso4. For me, delusion, in me or in others, will not let me rest, and makes me anxious, and/or angry, and/or wishing to get out of the map, and/or annihilate the delusional one (that includes myself, and absolutely ALL delusional people.) It is the farthest from having a calming effect on me. I would rather have two hundred loud protesters who are rattling my cage and scream at me reasonable things, than one delusional person to speak kindly to me and make absolutely no solid sense with his or her babble.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

Fooloso4,
Is this non-answer a zen thing?
I don't think NOT giving an answer is always a bad thing, it depends on the question and if we have an answer. Zen people are known for their wisdom and sometimes do give good answers, but the audience may not always be receptive to it. Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. We may provide questions on the forum, to which we don't have the answers to ourselves and so a debate is born. Therapy also often works with questions to help the clients; questions have a remedial affect on a person, despite the fact that he/she may not have the answer.

-- Updated August 28th, 2017, 8:22 am to add the following --

-1-
I don't know if your advice will stick with Fooloso4. For me, delusion, in me or in others, will not let me rest, and makes me anxious, and/or angry, and/or wishing to get out of the map, and/or annihilate the delusional one (that includes myself, and absolutely ALL delusional people.) It is the farthest from having a calming effect on me. I would rather have two hundred loud protesters who are rattling my cage and scream at me reasonable things, than one delusional person to speak kindly to me and make absolutely no solid sense with his or her babble.
Are you going to decide if he/she is delusional? A person may be delusional in conventional reason, but a genius in abstract reason.

Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Greta:
Isn't this simply just another variant of noumena v phenomena?
That is what it reminds me of except Kant did not call the phenomenal world delusion and many Buddhist (although apparently not Synthesis) believe in enlightenment and that in enlightenment one is able to experience the “suchness” of things, that is, as they are in themselves.

Synthesis:
"You think it bad for you, I've been listening to these people for over 30 years now!"
I’ve heard the same punchline except it was a psychiatrist not a Zen Master. Good one though.

Socrateaze:
I don't think NOT giving an answer is always a bad thing, it depends on the question and if we have an answer.
Agreed. As you said, it depends. That is why I framed my response as I did, but I was not being serious. The answer was simply evasive.
Therapy also often works with questions to help the clients; questions have a remedial affect on a person, despite the fact that he/she may not have the answer.
Wittgenstein talks about philosophical therapy, which is largely about confusion engendered by the question.
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

Fooloso4
Socrateaze:

I don't think NOT giving an answer is always a bad thing, it depends on the question and if we have an answer.
Agreed. As you said, it depends. That is why I framed my response as I did, but I was not being serious. The answer was simply evasive.
Therapy also often works with questions to help the clients; questions have a remedial affect on a person, despite the fact that he/she may not have the answer.
Wittgenstein talks about philosophical therapy, which is largely about confusion engendered by the question.
We have many reasons for being evasive, sometimes it's because we don't want to answer the question, sometimes it's because we can't. Sometimes it is not wise to give out answers, as I have discovered many times with people who argue from a general knowledge base and think they have all the answers in opposition to someone who has experience and or knowledge on a matter. I find it very hard to be quiet about my knowledge, but have learned the painful way that sharing it with people who argue from such a point will only leave you looking like the fool.

I don't think science is nonsense, like I said before in a previous post; since grows with us and of course there will be mistakes. I think what the OP means is that he is tired of people who claim to know and pass it as law.

I like the idea of philosophical therapy - in a sense Scott is running a shrink's office here? I find that comforting, since a challenge to one's own ideas can be very refreshing and helps expand knowledge.

- I think it would be more accurate to say that *some* science is underdeveloped and the way people preach it as gospel is nonsense.

- ...... Perhaps it would be accurate to say some scientists are arrogant - instead of saying science is nonsense? :idea:

Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Socrateaze:
- ...... Perhaps it would be accurate to say some scientists are arrogant - instead of saying science is nonsense?
And some philosophers are arrogant, and some students of Zen are arrogant,and some physicians are arrogant, and some plumbers are arrogant. Some people are arrogant.
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

Fooloso4 wrote:Socrateaze:
- ...... Perhaps it would be accurate to say some scientists are arrogant - instead of saying science is nonsense?
And some philosophers are arrogant, and some students of Zen are arrogant,and some physicians are arrogant, and some plumbers are arrogant. Some people are arrogant.
Yes, of course, not to mention the religious folk who are delusional on top of it all.

-1-

Post by -1- »

If the meaning of life is NOT to search for the meaning of life, then once someone finds the meaning of life, the meaning of life is forever lost on him.

----------

About delusionality: Yes, Socrateaze, you're right, one and the same person can be seen as delusional and as not delusional. Allow me the indulgence to decide for myself who is and who is not. If someone is not delusional in a different aspect from how I see him, then that's a subjective judgment, just like mine is subjective judgment.

However, if someone can show that the delusionality or the non-delusionality can be found with objective means, then I still can decide who is and who is not delusional, by applying the objective test. After all, the objective test is available to anyone and everyone.

-- Updated 2017 August 28th, 6:36 pm to add the following --
Fooloso4 wrote:
Heck, I am arrogant, and I'm none of that. Although someone in my past called my style "Provocative". He was a very fine gentleman, a mathematician, and a philosopher, every inch a gentle gentleman.

-- Updated 2017 August 28th, 6:37 pm to add the following --

And let's face it: some people are just plain stupid.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream