Is Science Non-sense?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Fooloso4

Re: Is Science Non-sense?

Post by Fooloso4 »

-1-:
And let's face it: some people are just plain stupid.
But stupid and arrogant … oy vey!
Socrateaze
Favorite Philosopher: George Carlin

Post by Socrateaze »

-1- wrote:
Socrateaze wrote: A question: if we search our whole life for the meaning of life, have we missed out on the meaning of life?
If the meaning of life is NOT to search for the meaning of life, then once someone finds the meaning of life, the meaning of life is forever lost on him.

----------

About delusionality: Yes, Socrateaze, you're right, one and the same person can be seen as delusional and as not delusional. Allow me the indulgence to decide for myself who is and who is not. If someone is not delusional in a different aspect from how I see him, then that's a subjective judgment, just like mine is subjective judgment.

However, if someone can show that the delusionality or the non-delusionality can be found with objective means, then I still can decide who is and who is not delusional, by applying the objective test. After all, the objective test is available to anyone and everyone.

-- Updated 2017 August 28th, 6:36 pm to add the following --
Fooloso4 wrote:
And some philosophers are arrogant, and some students of Zen are arrogant,and some physicians are arrogant, and some plumbers are arrogant. Some people are arrogant.
Heck, I am arrogant, and I'm none of that. Although someone in my past called my style "Provocative". He was a very fine gentleman, a mathematician, and a philosopher, every inch a gentle gentleman.

-- Updated 2017 August 28th, 6:37 pm to add the following --

And let's face it: some people are just plain stupid.
My point is, if the judgment of delusional behavior is subjective and since no one can be completely objective; I personally take more time before making such judgments. Sometimes delusional people have things to convey, but their method might give off a feel of delusion on their part. I have never ignored strange people, but like I said, always took my time to see if something recessional isn't buried beneath their decorum, which often mislead us in rejecting the whole person.

Yes, some people are plain stupid, but I have discovered that 90% of my dumb friends aren't backstabbers. I have one friend - one friend, who is both intelligent and nice in my whole friend circle of smart and stupid friends. But then, backstabbers with all their lies and tricks make life interesting. :)

-- Updated August 29th, 2017, 4:46 am to add the following --

*rational

- If you can paint the wind, I will tell you the secrets of the soul.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

If you observe almost all conversations in discussion groups such as this one, you find the following...

Participant 1 ... I am right because [so on and so forth]

Participant 2... I am right because [so on and so forth]

If you initiate a conversation by suggesting that you are correct, then the conversation is over before it starts. Having to be right is an intellectually immature position to take. There's an equal amount of [x and y] in everything knowable, so taking one side of a duality and suggesting you are correct is pointless. Everybody is right and wrong all the time.

What's much more interesting is when people debate an issue for the sake of the issue and not for the sake of being right. For example, in the public sphere, you almost never hear anybody debating real issues, instead they are interested in putting forth an agenda that supports some sort of gaining position. This not only makes for a poor debate, but poor policy, as well.

The purpose of this thread was to point out the above. I was using science because such a large percentage of the population is so firmly attached to the idea that our "existence" can be subjected to detailed analysis [with sides taken]. I was using the the word "non-sense" not to mean that science does not have its role in our lives, but instead, to mean [as hyphenated] that it does not make sense in any real way [as is the case with all things].

The essence of any matter lies well beyond right or wrong. If you don't believe me, ask any tree. :)
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

Synthesis wrote:If you observe almost all conversations in discussion groups such as this one, you find the following...

If you initiate a conversation by suggesting that you are correct, then the conversation is over before it starts. Having to be right is an intellectually immature position to take. There's an equal amount of [x and y] in everything knowable, so taking one side of a duality and suggesting you are correct is pointless. Everybody is right and wrong all the time.

What's much more interesting is when people debate an issue for the sake of the issue and not for the sake of being right. For example, in the public sphere, you almost never hear anybody debating real issues, instead they are interested in putting forth an agenda that supports some sort of gaining position. This not only makes for a poor debate, but poor policy, as well.

The purpose of this thread was to point out the above. I was using science because such a large percentage of the population is so firmly attached to the idea that our "existence" can be subjected to detailed analysis [with sides taken]. I was using the the word "non-sense" not to mean that science does not have its role in our lives, but instead, to mean [as hyphenated] that it does not make sense in any real way [as is the case with all things].

The essence of any matter lies well beyond right or wrong. If you don't believe me, ask any tree. :)
Since we're speaking of X's and Y's, differentiate this: db/dy 4a^2 + 9b^5 - 3c^-5

I am clearly aware what you meant by your title and I also know that everybody is right and wrong all the time and not necessarily in relation to each other; sometimes a group of people can be right, despite different conviction. If anybody, I argue for the sake of the topic, which many people in life don't do. And personal messages belong in private messages. :wink:

Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Socrateaze wrote:
Synthesis wrote:If you observe almost all conversations in discussion groups such as this one, you find the following...

Since we're speaking of X's and Y's, differentiate this: db/dy 4a^2 + 9b^5 - 3c^-5

I am clearly aware what you meant by your title and I also know that everybody is right and wrong all the time and not necessarily in relation to each other; sometimes a group of people can be right, despite different conviction. If anybody, I argue for the sake of the topic, which many people in life don't do. And personal messages belong in private messages. :wink:
This post was not aimed at you.
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

Synthesis wrote:
Socrateaze wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

This post was not aimed at you.
Cool

Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Synthesis:
If you observe almost all conversations in discussion groups such as this one, you find the following...

You are participant 1, right? Or do you not see it that way? Perhaps not, but I do not think I am alone in seeing it that way.

I, of course, am participant 2. Although I don't see it that way, I understand why others might. The guiding question for me is not who is right but what is right. This does not necessary mean X is right or wrong, but perhaps x1 and x 2 are or preferable to the alternative, and the answer in many cases should be provisional, and our attitude tenuous. We do have to make choices and so we cannot simply put questions of right and wrong aside as if it is wrong to ask what is right.
The purpose of this thread was to point out the above.
I am sorry I don’t see it that way, but I am not going to rehash it. What puzzles me though is why if you are so adverse to philosophical argument you come to a philosophy forum to do what if not argue?
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Fooloso4 wrote:Synthesis:

You are participant 1, right? Or do you not see it that way? Perhaps not, but I do not think I am alone in seeing it that way.

I, of course, am participant 2. Although I don't see it that way, I understand why others might. The guiding question for me is not who is right but what is right. This does not necessary mean X is right or wrong, but perhaps x1 and x 2 are or preferable to the alternative, and the answer in many cases should be provisional, and our attitude tenuous. We do have to make choices and so we cannot simply put questions of right and wrong aside as if it is wrong to ask what is right.
The purpose of this thread was to point out the above.
I am sorry I don’t see it that way, but I am not going to rehash it. What puzzles me though is why if you are so adverse to philosophical argument you come to a philosophy forum to do what if not argue?
Fooloso4, I was not referring to you and I, but just conversations, in general.

Right and wrong, like all things knowable are constantly changing because events antecedent are changing, as well. Making prudent decisions is not about right and wrong [but can be]. Seeing with clarity is the best hope any of us have a making the most balanced decisions in our own lives.

Attempting to tell other adults what is right or wrong is futile because you can never [really] understand their situation. Imagine attempting to counsel even a twenty year old when the last moment of their life is determined by an infinite number of moments preceding. Skilled professional counselors are so because they help their patients/clients to figure out their own solutions based on their own experiences.

As far as philosophical debate is concerned, I enjoy this but I am not interested in being right. Instead, I am interested in exploring the topic at hand. Besides, you can win any argument if you understand how thinking works.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream