What is Artificial Intelligence?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Re: What is Artificial Intelligence?

Post by Atreyu »

Synthesis wrote: Please consider the following. If you step out and peer up into the night sky [approximately 44.34 degrees, 35 minutes, 21 seconds facing due north], there is an object sitting on a an asteroid which is approximately 425M light years away [sorry, there is also no light available]. What can you tell me about this object?

Your cube is what you believe it is only from an extremely narrow point-of-view, and then, it is really not that at all. The layers of subjectivity that gives rise to our human reality are infinite and ever changing [as all conditions surrounding, change]. Believing that we can truly understand anything close to its actual Reality is foolhardy given the infinite variability at play.

The entire of basis of science [that we can get closer and closer to the truth] is similar to a small child who believes that he can protect himself from the monsters in the closet by hiding under his pillow. There is no need to understand any of these things. Eat when you are hungry, sleep when you are tired, help others when you are able, so on and so forth. Attempting to understand has only led to misery in this world.
You're talking about attaining absolute objectivity/understanding, which indeed is impossible. You're just restating the principles of Kant, which imo are quite correct. I agree.

But your "solution" is not a solution at all. Men have to try and understand things. That's how we're wired. The solution is to find out how to attain a higher level of consciousness...
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Atreyu wrote:You're talking about attaining absolute objectivity/understanding, which indeed is impossible. You're just restating the principles of Kant, which imo are quite correct. I agree.

But your "solution" is not a solution at all. Men have to try and understand things. That's how we're wired. The solution is to find out how to attain a higher level of consciousness...
I am not suggesting anything of the kind. What I am inferring is that the human mind can come nowhere close to Reality, so far away, in fact, that the result of our intellectual miscalculations have been disastrous [on balance]. Please examine our species' historical record in this regard.

I would have no problem siding with you in believing that if man could get close enough to the Truth [intellectually, which might result in an overall positive outcome], but, again, get out your boxscore of the 20th century and refresh your memory of the transgressions that went down, beginning to end.

As much as the perma-Bulls would like to hang their hats on a few accomplishments here and there, the human suffering that has taken place because of man's inability to perceive/interpret with accuracy, clearly demonstrates the outcome, time and again. Greed, anger, and delusion are intellectual constructs and the basis of most evil [actions] that goes down in the name of every damn rationale.

Atreya, your position is much like that of central bankers who swear that what they do is the interests of all people.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Synthesis wrote:
Atreyu wrote:You're talking about attaining absolute objectivity/understanding, which indeed is impossible. You're just restating the principles of Kant, which imo are quite correct. I agree.

I am not suggesting anything of the kind. What I am inferring is that the human mind can come nowhere close to Reality, so far away, in fact, that the result of our intellectual miscalculations have been disastrous [on balance]. Please examine our species' historical record in this regard.

I would have no problem siding with you in believing that if man could get close enough to the Truth [intellectually, which might result in an overall positive outcome], but, again, get out your boxscore of the 20th century and refresh your memory of the transgressions that went down, beginning to end.

As much as the perma-Bulls would like to hang their hats on a few accomplishments here and there, the human suffering that has taken place because of man's inability to perceive/interpret with accuracy, clearly demonstrates the outcome, time and again. Greed, anger, and delusion are intellectual constructs and the basis of most evil [actions] that goes down in the name of every damn rationale.

Atreya, your position is much like that of central bankers who swear that what they do is the interests of all people.
OK, so what is your alternative? Random actions, since no one knows anything on which to base a decision?
"As usual... it depends."
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

LuckyR wrote:
Synthesis wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

OK, so what is your alternative? Random actions, since no one knows anything on which to base a decision?
Thousands of years ago, folks figured out that simply accepting things as they are is, "The Way." If you do not allow your intellect to alter Reality, then what you must do, becomes apparent. It is taking Reality and morphing it into your personal reality that creates all the problems [greed, fear, anger, delusion, etc.].

It's that simple.
Chili

Post by Chili »

Animals have habits of what we might call understanding that have led to their survival (though tomorrow they may not).

We find ourselves with many of these habits. We question the instincts and extend the understandings. On person is inclined to lose hope and just give up.
Another accepts that his existence requires the animal's seeming humility regarding a world full of vexing partially known objects.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Synthesis wrote:
LuckyR wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Thousands of years ago, folks figured out that simply accepting things as they are is, "The Way." If you do not allow your intellect to alter Reality, then what you must do, becomes apparent. It is taking Reality and morphing it into your personal reality that creates all the problems [greed, fear, anger, delusion, etc.].

It's that simple.
Except that things aren't what they appear to be, according to your theory. Basic circular logic. Sorry, there's no "there" there.
Chili

Post by Chili »

Synthesis wrote: Thousands of years ago, folks figured out that simply accepting things as they are is, "The Way." If you do not allow your intellect to alter Reality, then what you must do, becomes apparent. It is taking Reality and morphing it into your personal reality that creates all the problems [greed, fear, anger, delusion, etc.].
It's that simple.
This "don't think, just do" approach - do you suppose it has ever led to someone making a big mistake?
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Chili wrote:
Synthesis wrote: Thousands of years ago, folks figured out that simply accepting things as they are is, "The Way." If you do not allow your intellect to alter Reality, then what you must do, becomes apparent. It is taking Reality and morphing it into your personal reality that creates all the problems [greed, fear, anger, delusion, etc.].
It's that simple.
This "don't think, just do" approach - do you suppose it has ever led to someone making a big mistake?
Suppose you are buzzing down your favorite bumper to bumper freeway [with your fifteen hundred of your closest friends] at 80mph. In order to maintain life, you must make [literally] an infinite number of calculations and decisions every moment. What would happen if you decided to "think-out" the decisions you were making in the common way we think about thinking?

In simply acting [IOW, seeing things as close as possible to what they really are] instead of applying our rationale, [generally speaking] we will make the best decisions. The less processing, the closer we are to the Truth. It is why our first impression is generally the correct one.
Chili

Post by Chili »

Synthesis wrote: In simply acting [IOW, seeing things as close as possible to what they really are] instead of applying our rationale, [generally speaking] we will make the best decisions. The less processing, the closer we are to the Truth. It is why our first impression is generally the correct one.
Malcolm Gladwell went to some lengths to describe how and when this works, when it works. It doesn't always work!

A person practices until certain things become "second nature" or "muscle memory". In those cases, enormous success can come from getting your mind out of the way.

Then, there's Luke Skywalker just letting go and letting God- I mean the force. Some people will report things like this happening. But most of the time it is best to be smart and think things through. There's just no getting away from it.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Chili wrote:
Synthesis wrote: In simply acting [IOW, seeing things as close as possible to what they really are] instead of applying our rationale, [generally speaking] we will make the best decisions. The less processing, the closer we are to the Truth. It is why our first impression is generally the correct one.
Malcolm Gladwell went to some lengths to describe how and when this works, when it works. It doesn't always work!

A person practices until certain things become "second nature" or "muscle memory". In those cases, enormous success can come from getting your mind out of the way.

Then, there's Luke Skywalker just letting go and letting God- I mean the force. Some people will report things like this happening. But most of the time it is best to be smart and think things through. There's just no getting away from it.
Give me an example of when it's best to, "think things through."
Chili

Post by Chili »

Synthesis wrote: Give me an example of when it's best to, "think things through."
Are you a financially self-sustaining adult?
Have you ever made a decision?
What level of education have you attained?

Or, at least, these are the incredulous questions which spring to mind. Take them as you wish.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Chili wrote:
Synthesis wrote: Give me an example of when it's best to, "think things through."

Or, at least, these are the incredulous questions which spring to mind. Take them as you wish.
There a two ways to approach a situation. One is to do what many would [what you suggest], that is, "think it through." The other method is to follow the course I suggest, which is to see things as they are. If you choose option two, the answers sought make themselves apparent immediately. If you choose option one, then you will begin with Reality, then subjecting it to all of your fears, anxieties, desires, so on and so forth. What you will end up with is rarely the best decision, instead, one which is consistent with your emotional/intellectual baggage.

Which path do you believe is the more prudent?
Chili

Post by Chili »

Synthesis wrote: There a two ways to approach a situation. One is to do what many would [what you suggest], that is, "think it through." The other method is to follow the course I suggest, which is to see things as they are. If you choose option two, the answers sought make themselves apparent immediately. If you choose option one, then you will begin with Reality, then subjecting it to all of your fears, anxieties, desires, so on and so forth. What you will end up with is rarely the best decision, instead, one which is consistent with your emotional/intellectual baggage.

Seeing things "as they are" is the approach of a child, or someone who has never been wrong, or does not admit nor remember being wrong. Debates take place here and elsewhere because the 3 blind men have different views of taking Elephants "as they are."

I don't take what you're saying at face value. You don't know what you're saying.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Chili wrote:
Synthesis wrote: There a two ways to approach a situation. One is to do what many would [what you suggest], that is, "think it through." The other method is to follow the course I suggest, which is to see things as they are. If you choose option two, the answers sought make themselves apparent immediately. If you choose option one, then you will begin with Reality, then subjecting it to all of your fears, anxieties, desires, so on and so forth. What you will end up with is rarely the best decision, instead, one which is consistent with your emotional/intellectual baggage.

Seeing things "as they are" is the approach of a child, or someone who has never been wrong, or does not admit nor remember being wrong. Debates take place here and elsewhere because the 3 blind men have different views of taking Elephants "as they are."

I don't take what you're saying at face value. You don't know what you're saying.
All things knowable are constantly changing. If you are interested in variety, you have infinite choice. If it is the Truth you seek, then you might wish to consider things as they are.

And you are 100% correct when you state that I do not know what I am saying. You just don't know why.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Synthesis wrote:
Chili wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

There a two ways to approach a situation. One is to do what many would [what you suggest], that is, "think it through." The other method is to follow the course I suggest, which is to see things as they are. If you choose option two, the answers sought make themselves apparent immediately. If you choose option one, then you will begin with Reality, then subjecting it to all of your fears, anxieties, desires, so on and so forth. What you will end up with is rarely the best decision, instead, one which is consistent with your emotional/intellectual baggage.

Well, if you have low down right sided abdominal pain and nausea and vomiting and you feel weak and hot and all you want to do is crawl in bed and curl into a ball, I suggest you think it through and head to the ER to have your appendix out instead of dying in your bed.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream