What is the differences between philosophy and science?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Burning ghost

Re: What is the differences between philosophy and science?

Post by Burning ghost »

To All -

Hobbes (from Stanford Encyclopedia):
Moreover, there is perhaps in Hobbes’s method something like the middle step of regressus. For Hobbes, to know an effect through its causes is to know what the causes are and how they work: “We are said to know scientifically some effect when we know what its causes are, in what subject they are, in what subject they introduce the effect, and how they do it” (Hobbes 1655, 6.1).
nameless -
Not anything can ever be demonstrated to exist, unless it is perceived.
Okay, numbers don't exist, language doesn't exist, subatomic particles don't exist, yellow doesn't exist, size doesn't exist, reason nor logic exist, and neither does the universe. Of course you can now happily readjust your conception of "perception" by posting the dictionary definition of "perception." If you do so you've done no more than present circular logic.
Call it as you will, it remains Truth.
Truth is not 'falsifiable'.
There is a difference between what 'reason' is, and what (formal) logic is? I think so.
It remains so because we don't go around saying things like "truth" is "truth" like it is some profound statement. Neither do we go around pointing at objects saying "object." That is called tautology.

The difference between "reason" and "logic" is not that great. Reason is the application of logic, but if you meant "football" is not the same as "playing football", then yes, they are different. If you meant in the colloquial sense when you said "reason" then considering this is a philosophy forum you should've been more clear and perhaps even explored what the colloquial use means for us here?

I still have no idea what you are talking about when you say "real" scientist or "real" philosopher. Is this a case of anything I say not being a "true Scotman?"
AKA badgerjelly
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

Science can be proven or disproven via experimental data or logical deduction or computer investigation. Philosophy states general conjectures within a human society or a single mind that emphasises, the view of a certain person on reality without beeing able to prove it. Philosophy is dependent on how people perceive something and with it can have different interpretations. The wikipedia itself writes:

Philosophy (from Greek φιλοσοφία, philosophia, literally "love of wisdom"[1][2][3][4]) is the study of general and fundamental problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.

So even for a computational neuroscientist, the corresponding themes are mostly formulated uninherent from the standpoint of the observer.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

SimpleGuy wrote: January 15th, 2018, 1:05 pm Science can be proven or disproven via experimental data or logical deduction or computer investigation.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, if I have to explain once more time how science does not 'prove' anything, I'm just going to start ignoring the ignorance.

Albert Einstein:
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong."
There is no 'proof', there is 'supportive data'!
Get it?
If not, get it! *__-
Philosophy states general conjectures within a human society or a single mind that emphasises, the view of a certain person on reality without beeing able to prove it. Philosophy is dependent on how people perceive something and with it can have different interpretations. The wikipedia itself writes:

Philosophy (from Greek φιλοσοφία, philosophia, literally "love of wisdom"[1][2][3][4]) is the study of general and fundamental problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.
Wiki, huh...
Knowledge = experience!
I am a philosopher, I think philosophically, naturally. I do not need to imbibe someone's opinions (probably lacking actual experience/Knowledge) from Wiki.
You cannot Know heat unless you burn your finger! Reading Wiki articles is only an intellectual knowing of thoughts, not fire.
I'm well aware of the common, ancient, street level notions of philosophy.
As I said, usually not from philosophers.
Love of Wisdom, what does that even mean, if anything?!?
So even for a computational neuroscientist, the corresponding themes are mostly formulated uninherent from the standpoint of the observer.
There is no, never was, nor will be an "objective observer" (an obsolete and erroneous ideal of 'classical' science, if that's what you mean by 'uninherent')!
As far as 'inherent' there is not anything in existence that is not an inherent feature of the Universe/Reality!
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

No one in this thread has yet elucidated the key difference between philosophy and science.

In philosophy, one deals with ideas. The criteria for these ideas is that they have to be reasonable/logical, and can be defended intelligently, even if the subject matter is rather abstract.

In science, one deals with theories. These ideas have to be more precise and exact than philosophical ideas, because a sound philosophical concept cannot become a theory until it's made verifiable, and this requires it to be put in a form that can be tested. In other words, in science you have to back up your ideas with "the math", with calculations, and these calculations provide a means of experimentation.

For example, to say the Universe always existed, or to say that the Universe had a definite beginning, would be philosophy. There is no way to elucidat either position in a way in which it could become a theory, i.e. in a way in which it could be verified or tested. Science cannot shed any light on this question, therefore all we can do is to try and reason it out, i.e. philosophize about it.

To say that the Universe as we know it resulted from a 'Big Bang' which occurred about 13.7 billion years ago is science. This idea can be backed up by mathematical formula, it has complex calculations behind it, which enable it to be tested, even if we have no means to test for it at the present time, using our present technology. The point is that it could be tested, because it's a theory, i.e. it's precise and exact enough of an idea that its formulation could be verified or disproved by experience.

However, there is no way we could ever conduct any experiments to find out if the Universe had a beginning or not. No way to know what might have been before the Big Bang, if anything. This idea is too vague to be elucidated as a theory, hence its proper designation as a philosophical dilemma.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Atreyu -

I did.

Science deals with perfecting the accuracy of "facts" and philosophy deals with perfecting ideas of "truth." They both necessarily cross over into each others domain.

If you follow it through it should be clear enough to see that more better grounded the facts the easier it becomes to delineate sets of rules and establish truths from them. Truth only has meaning within set parameters, and scientific investigation sets out more and more accurate and applicable parameters.
AKA badgerjelly
Frewah

Post by Frewah »

I can think of one big difference. There is a scientific method that is more rigid in science than in philosophy. Bryan Magee mentions what applies to philosophy which was very short. The ancient greek philosophers didn’t do experiments, I think they would snear at it.

There existed an idea that flies spawned spontaneously from rotten meat. It didn’t occur to those that came up with this idea that their reasoning could be flawed. Had they killed a rat maybe and put into something that could be sealed, they would have discovered that no flies would appear. I think it’s fair to say that science is more rigid than philosophy.
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

The difference between philosophy and science is methaphisics, which is mostly nonexistent in science. The only science , that has a metaphysical aspect is psychology. Philosophy is man scentered and science is Observation and theory centered.
Kane Jiang

Post by Kane Jiang »

Philosophy deals with abstract things beyond what exists in this world. For example, saying fire is change can be a philosophical opinion, but not a scientific opinion.
Jonathan A Bain
New Trial Member

Post by Jonathan A Bain »

growthhormone wrote: December 27th, 2017, 1:59 am What is the differences between philosophy and science?
The method of science is a subset of philosophy.
Philosophy also includes other methods, like Hermeneutics
(the study of language and meaning) and phenomenology;
which both rely on qualitative judgments, as are found
in the arts and humanities; such as ethics and psychology.

The real tragedy of the institution of science is that it
tries to distance itself from its foundations in this regard,
and pretends that it does not have an implicit set of aims
which can only be either ethical; or egotistical, when the
ethic is ignored.

Science which does not have as its aim, an ethical pursuit
soon degenerates into pseudo-science and worse; as was
clearly evidenced by the Nazi ideology which was little
more than egotism of a few myopic individuals.

Unless philosophy rightly reclaims its position as being
a priori to empirical science, the future is going to repeat
the errors of the past.

Scientists often wonder at how religion is still such a powerful
force, even though it has many empirical errors in its
cosmology. The reason is simple: An ethical system which
has survived several millennia in purely Darwinist terms, but
which wrongly depicts the age of the universe is always going
to be more valuable than egotism which gets the age of the
universe correct.
Mans

Post by Mans »

Science is a knowledge that we discover from the certain facts and rules in the world. Philosophy is a series of viewpoints, theories or explanations that talk about a covered or complex subject that is not provable by science OR science talk about it doubtfully.

So, science is a certain thing; is right always and its rules is unchangeable, but a philosophy can be right or wrong, depend on its basis idea.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

growthhormone wrote: December 27th, 2017, 1:59 am What is the differences between philosophy and science?
Science is a sub-category of philosophy.

Science is only concerned with nature; hence the birth of science from the idea of "natural philosophy". Methods of philosophy has enabled the maturing of science in the last 200 years.
However, philosophy goes way beyond considerations of just natural phenomena.
frailRearranger
New Trial Member

Post by frailRearranger »

Tamminen wrote: December 29th, 2017, 9:03 am But there are perhaps as many definitions as there are philosophers.
That's the impression I am getting from this thread.

I think of "philosophy" as the old "love of wisdom," a desire to inquire more deeply into matters and develop new understanding. (Whether or not we actually manage to become any wiser by it.)

Science is a creation of philosophers, one of the methods they developed for examining the world, and an immensely useful one at that. Specifically, science achieves a form of objectivity that allows for effective collaboration, using definitions that can be reproduced and communicated between people.

Science is very good at what it is designed to do, and only what it is designed to do. Philosophy continues to explore a broader range of questions (including science itself).
sandman
New Trial Member

Post by sandman »

To elaborate on Londoner's reply,
Science is philosophy augmented with a system of measurement, its verification tool.
Carry56
New Trial Member

Post by Carry56 »

1. Philosophy and science are two examinations and spaces. The theory started things out and turned into the reason for science, once in the past known as regular way of thinking. The two investigations have numerous branches or fields of study and make utilize thinking, addressing, and examination. The primary contrast is standing out they work and treat learning.

2. Science is worried about regular wonders, while reasoning endeavors to comprehend the idea of man, presence, and the relationship that exists between the two ideas.

3."Science" originates from a Latin word (Scientia), while "theory" was gotten from the Greek "philosophy."

4. Another normal component between the two investigations is that the two of them attempt to clarify circumstances and discover answers. Reasoning does this by utilizing legitimate argumentation, while science uses experimental information. Reasoning's clarifications are grounded in contentions of standards, while science attempts to clarify dependent on trial outcomes, noticeable realities, and target proof.

5. Science is utilized for cases that require experimental approval, while a theory is utilized for circumstances where estimations and perceptions can't be applied. Science additionally takes answers and demonstrates them as dispassionately right or wrong.

6. Subjective and target questions are associated with theory, while just some target questions can be connected in science. Besides discovering answers, theory additionally includes producing questions. In the meantime, science is just worried about the last mentioned.

7. Philosophy makes information through reasoning; science does likewise by watching.

8. Science is additionally a characterized examination, as opposed to theory, which can be applied to numerous broad regions of control.
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

Philosophy uses big words science uses big numbers. I know that may sound slightly sarcastic but I think it's as good a division as any.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream