Why scientific revolution happened in the West but not in other civilisation?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Frost

Re: Why scientific revolution happened in the West but not in other civilisation?

Post by Frost » February 1st, 2018, 1:15 am

growthhormone wrote:
January 31st, 2018, 10:10 pm
"You can only have a useful discussion on this topic at the level of culture, so economics, religion, etc" NO, at the level of culture, so economics, religion, we can discuss this topic and it is a traditional way but the fundamental level is physics. To solve this problem, we need to look at all levels particularly at the level of physics. :D
Intentional causation isn't a matter of physics.

Tell me, in the experimental setup in the orthodox quantum formalism, how is the experimental setup determined? Is it not a free choice on the part of the experimenter?

LuckyR

Re: Why scientific revolution happened in the West but not in other civilisation?

Post by LuckyR » February 1st, 2018, 2:50 am

growthhormone wrote:
January 31st, 2018, 10:12 pm
LuckyR wrote:
January 31st, 2018, 5:00 pm

This topic is essentially the thrust of Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel. Therefore I would count geography as a major if not the major determining factor.
"I would count geography as a major". Yes! but it is only one of the factors at particular level.
Well a UCLA professor thinks it is the single most important one. We are all entitled to our opinions but he's studied the subject professionally, you haven't.
"As usual... it depends."

Mild Antagonizer
New Trial Member

Post by Mild Antagonizer » April 22nd, 2018, 4:56 am

Genetics.

Different birds build different nests.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » April 23rd, 2018, 4:01 am

Mild Antagonizer wrote:
April 22nd, 2018, 4:56 am
Genetics.

Different birds build different nests.
Please enlighten us with the details of this genetic difference you are referring to.

Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk » April 24th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Please don't

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » April 25th, 2018, 3:21 am

Eduk wrote:
April 24th, 2018, 1:39 pm
Please don't
I guess you have considerably more influence than I command.