The Theory of Everything

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Tamminen

Re: The Theory of Everything

Post by Tamminen »

Thinking critical wrote: April 14th, 2018, 12:03 pm
Therefore we can never scientifically explain the being of the subject.
This position rejects the possibilty of obtaining new information, argument from ignorance.
This is an ontological standpoint. I could have said instead: "We can never scientifically explain the being of matter or the being of the universe". We can perhaps understand the being of subjectivity and the being of the universe, but empirical science cannot touch these questions because they are essentially philosophical. The same applies to your other remarks. That subjectivity and matter are interdependent does not mean that all matter is conscious. An embryo is not conscious, but it will be. And that it will be conscious is not something that can happen or not happen when we think of the universe as a whole. The universe is inhabited, it is made of objects for subjects, whoever or whatever those subjects happen to be. The universe is our universe, we give it a meaning and reason for being.

We all have our own ways of seeing things, but I only wanted to clarify my points because I think you misunderstood some of my basic ideas.
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

How lucky. A movement of energy up, down, sideways by the TOE like a G wand. It makes up realities and then vanishes them as untrue or too harsh. You like a Prince toiling down your life looking down at the wand that made you a toad. Weep to a reality of quantities. I am like you in the mirror of intuition. My big TOE takes me to places that ask me for numbers and papers. I (myself) look pass the wand to the kiss of reality. My big TOE comes alive to the envy of none. Carry on.
Iraunn
New Trial Member

Post by Iraunn »

I saw this film this afternoon and I simply loved it. We all know it is the story of Stephen Hawking the brilliant Professor of theoretical physics at Oxford University who was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's disease) in 1963 and was given 2 years to live. In the interim he married a friend of his sister and together they had three children

IMO the film was beautifully told, well acted by all and had me glued to the screen for the entire 2 hours.

Eddie Redmayne plays Stephen Hawking and his performance was nothing short of brilliant. There is no doubt in my mind that he will be nominated for Best Actor. So far this year the only other contender for Best Actor has been J. K. Simmons in Whiplash who likewise was brilliant

Eddie Redmayne however played an amazing role and the contortions and contractors of his body IMO were identical to anything I have ever seen of Stephen Hawking. How he did what he did with his facial expressions and hand and feet movements was beyond incredible.

In the final hour of the movie after Hawking was in Bordeaux attending a symphony he collapsed in the audience with pneumonia and cannot breathe. The suggestion by the doctor to his wife Jane was that they remove the respirator and allow him to die. Jane refuses and agrees to a tracheotomy which will render him unable to ever speak again.As a result he acts the final hour or so acting without speaking. It was a remarkable performance

This film is definitely high on my list but there re several more blockbusters due to open later this month that also smack of Oscar potential.

Highly recommended
Joseph47
New Trial Member

Post by Joseph47 »

A Theory of Everything will never happen -- except in the "Mind of God". The universe has infinite complexity; the human mind is finite. We could never in a million years even determine which numbers the infinite list of primes comprises.
growthhormone

Post by growthhormone »

A simple mathematical model to unite Newton's three laws of motion, four laws of thermodynamics and more... It is on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaNK5cm ... e=youtu.be
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Luin wrote: April 14th, 2018, 10:56 am Like I said, I've spent many years vetting ToE notions on many other Internet forums, and I'm just through with battling over semantics, quotes taken out of context, and 'just so' stories with people who find argument [not debate] entertaining. This is a serious pursuit for me. I'm actually working to find a way to thoroughly vet some fairly controversial notions, and not looking for a hyper-charged competitive dust-up with someone not actually interested in a new way of thinking about the factual nature of what's real.
In your long post you did not address the issue I raised once. I did not raise a semantic issue; I criticised your arguement in the first of your posts I responded to. I don't appreciate your going ad hom above and making psychic claims about my cognitive states and motivations. If you want to avoid hyper-charged competitive dust ups, you might want to avoid using ad homs and making psychic claims. It might also help to actually address the point I made. Or asking for clarification; that is, engaging in philosophical discussion.

So, I'll avoid you in the future.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

growthhormone wrote: February 9th, 2018, 3:05 am ToE, "the Theory of Everything" or "the Ultimate Theory" is one of the most fundamental issues in philosophy and theoretical physics. https://tinyurl.com/y8mxo4hc https://tinyurl.com/d9zb8t9

All the following questions, that I previously posted in this philosophy of science section, actually can be addressed with one single mathematical description. This hypothesis is an attempt to address the issue of "the Theory of Everything". It can be used to describe the following issues or link the seemingly unrelated issues.

What is the nature of human civilisation?

How can medical sciences be used to predict human future?

What is the nature of beauty? Is symmetry a scientific explanation?

Is marriage ultimately governed by the laws of physics?

What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy?

How can we unite Newton's three laws?

If someone sees through the melting of an ice cube and tells you the future of human being, is this science or fortune

Why scientific revolution happened in the West but not in other civilisation?

An ultimate philosophical question: is the theory of everything possible?
"Present status[edit]

At present, there is no candidate theory of everything that includes the standard model of particle physics and general relativity. For example, no candidate theory is able to calculate the fine structure constant or the mass of the electron. Most particle physicists expect that the outcome of the ongoing experiments – the search for new particles at the large particle accelerators and for dark matter – are needed in order to provide further input for a TOE. "

Doesn't this pretty much end the matter right there ?!
growthhormone

Post by growthhormone »

The Fundamental Interrelationships Model

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqn9YVwhLCE

Using the model to describe some laws of of physics:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oaNK5cmCcZ4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pSPv8OScNJs

Please note this book is free. Disseminating the message of this book is for further discussion of the fundamental interrelationships model.
growthhormone

Post by growthhormone »

Some reviews on this fundamental interrelationships model will be posted in due course.
growthhormone

Post by growthhormone »

This is a model that unifies all interrelationships at the fundamental/philosophy level.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XXm0Lg-7roY&t=1s
Pramod Kumar Agrawal
New Trial Member

Post by Pramod Kumar Agrawal »

According to Indian philosophy, the ‘theory of everything’ lies within an entity’s ‘existence’, not in the ‘entity’ itself. It says that the entity can be defined as the smallest possible aspect of nature which has its own will to live in this universe. The entity can be an intellectual entity (thinking body; human), psychological entity (feeling body; animal), biological entity (living body; vegetation), Physical entity (existing body; atom), and cosmological entity (energy). It says that an entity never governs the activities, but the existence (nucleus of properties)properties within the entity govern the activities. It argues that the structure of all the existences is the same; hence all follow the same science (Theory of everything). As Greta explained that although the capabilities can differ, the basic philosophy does not change. For example, the intellectual entity needs to receive psychological symbols. The psychological entity needs to receive biological symbols. The biological entity needs to receive physical symbols, and the physical entity needs to receive cosmological symbols. The process of receiving will be the same, yes, that will be in accordance with their references.
impermanence

Post by impermanence »

The result of intellectualization is differentiation which is antithetical to One-ness.

Therefore, "the theory of everything," just is.
Khaled_Din
New Trial Member

Post by Khaled_Din »

It seems quite simple! The Consciousness - the fundamental Process of awareness - is of course interested in introducing and delineating some valuable/interesting subprocesses/minds. For that purpose, the "physical" Game is played, employing the Everettian branching multiverse as the mathematical game tree. Thus, our physical brains are generated, the brain processes being used to start/organize but not limit the new minds. Therefore, our job is to be(come) truly interesting, feeling the creative interest/help of the Fundamental Consciousness - else, we are dull routines run automatically, computer-like, to be deleted/archivated soon.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Khaled_Din wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:44 am It seems quite simple! The Consciousness - the fundamental Process of awareness - is of course interested in introducing and delineating some valuable/interesting subprocesses/minds. For that purpose, the "physical" Game is played, employing the Everettian branching multiverse as the mathematical game tree. Thus, our physical brains are generated, the brain processes being used to start/organize but not limit the new minds. Therefore, our job is to be(come) truly interesting, feeling the creative interest/help of the Fundamental Consciousness - else, we are dull routines run automatically, computer-like, to be deleted/archivated soon.
Why would The Consciousness care about value/interestingness?
True philosophy points to the Moon
Atla

Post by Atla »

Pramod Kumar Agrawal wrote: November 4th, 2020, 2:21 am According to Indian philosophy, the ‘theory of everything’ lies within an entity’s ‘existence’, not in the ‘entity’ itself. It says that the entity can be defined as the smallest possible aspect of nature which has its own will to live in this universe. The entity can be an intellectual entity (thinking body; human), psychological entity (feeling body; animal), biological entity (living body; vegetation), Physical entity (existing body; atom), and cosmological entity (energy). It says that an entity never governs the activities, but the existence (nucleus of properties)properties within the entity govern the activities. It argues that the structure of all the existences is the same; hence all follow the same science (Theory of everything). As Greta explained that although the capabilities can differ, the basic philosophy does not change. For example, the intellectual entity needs to receive psychological symbols. The psychological entity needs to receive biological symbols. The biological entity needs to receive physical symbols, and the physical entity needs to receive cosmological symbols. The process of receiving will be the same, yes, that will be in accordance with their references.
What if 'entity' is just a human idea, but actually there are no entities?
True philosophy points to the Moon

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream