Real Scientific Slapstick

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Wu Li
New Trial Member

Real Scientific Slapstick

Post by Wu Li »

Sometimes, if reality is stranger than fiction, its only because there ain't no damned difference! Over the course of doing personal research, I discovered that academics were increasingly receiving pies-in-the-face from their own research results beginning with the extremes in the cognitive and physical sciences, and these were increasing in frequency and building up into an avalanche. What became obvious is they were getting results that indicate 42 is as good an explanation for the laws of physics anyone is ever going to get. However, upon closer examination of the stories it became evident that the researchers were all performing flawless slapstick, with the jokes going right over their heads no matter how patently obvious they were.

For example, physicists struggled for years to simulate a Mott transition from quantum mechanical to classical, only to be confused when the results contradicted all of their theories and calculations. The results indicated that the Big Bang was neither too hot nor too cold, but just right for the physicists to take their measurements. Instead of seeing the humor in the situation, the physicists shrugged their shoulders and said it might require years or decades to figure out how a Goldilocks universe works. Donald Hoffman is a game theorist who spent ten years studying all the neurological evidence and running one computer simulation after another, only to conclude that if the human mind and brain had resembled anything like reality, we would already be extinct as a species. Mr Hoffman had no clue what it could mean, but said it must be related to quantum mechanics. These are two of the more striking research results, but the list goes on and on including mathematicians establishing in a number of ways that classical logic and physics appear to be tautological and self-contradictory.

The physicists who measured the Goldilocks universe were not stupid, and its extremely difficult for me to believe for one second that it would normally be impossible for them to get the punch line to a joke like that. The first quantifiable theory of humor has established that it involves anything low in entropy suggesting that, for some reason, the physicists were not perceiving the low entropy of what they were observing. That others can perceive the humor from a distance and that the slapstick is so flawless suggests that the identity of what is reality and fiction is becoming conflated, and the researcher's own interest in looking for causal explanations is determining what they perceive. As if their lives are becoming more fated the instant they probe the nature of reality too closely, because they are looking for answers that nature cannot provide.

This could explain the Quantum Observer Effect and why Relativity contains the glaring Simultaneity Paradox as related to the lowest possible energy state and the default state, or yin-yang dynamics and the Two Faces of Janus, making the dreamer and the dream ultimately indistinguishable. Reality and logic are what help to make the dream possible and lend it vastly more beauty and meaning. Any feedback is welcome, but this involves fuzzy logic and quantum mechanics and I'm not looking for any sort of metaphysical explanation, but a systems logics view that reflects Indeterminacy as being the default and the ground state, expressing yin-yang push-pull dynamics and the Two Faces Janus.
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Re: Real Scientific Slapstick

Post by Mark1955 »

Surely logic requires determinacy, I cannot make an either or decision if I don't have an either or state.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Wu Li, not understanding a lot of stuff does not mean that those who produce the stuff are fools. It may just be the other way around.

Your script lacks the rigour that only knowledge can give. You go with the thrust of writing something funny and witty, so funny and witty that it will defy any challenge by logical thinkers. You borrowed a few terms from physics, possibly in a Google search; you cite experts that cater to a very narrow stratum of society, and I would not be surprised if the experts you cite were preachers in Southern Baptist congregations or similar.

This impotent attempt of yours to debunk science is an old hat, and you are one transparent ignorant person who thinks that because things don't make sense to him or her, things must be stupid.

Again...
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

-1- wrote: June 17th, 2018, 5:38 am Wu Li, not understanding a lot of stuff does not mean that those who produce the stuff are fools. It may just be the other way around.

Your script lacks the rigour that only knowledge can give. You go with the thrust of writing something funny and witty, so funny and witty that it will defy any challenge by logical thinkers. You borrowed a few terms from physics, possibly in a Google search; you cite experts that cater to a very narrow stratum of society, and I would not be surprised if the experts you cite were preachers in Southern Baptist congregations or similar.

This impotent attempt of yours to debunk science is an old hat, and you are one transparent ignorant person who thinks that because things don't make sense to him or her, things must be stupid.

Again...
You mention the physics use. Much more useful for her or him to have to challenge the specific example, explain what he or she needs to do, did wrong, is confused about, etc.

Unless the goal is simply to label the other person, which is unlikely to lead to change/learning/an exchange.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Karpel Tunnel wrote: June 17th, 2018, 6:39 am
-1- wrote: June 17th, 2018, 5:38 am Wu Li, not understanding a lot of stuff does not mean that those who produce the stuff are fools. It may just be the other way around.

Again...
You mention the physics use. Much more useful for her or him to have to challenge the specific example, explain what he or she needs to do, did wrong, is confused about, etc.

Unless the goal is simply to label the other person, which is unlikely to lead to change/learning/an exchange.
Karpal, you are right. Your idea is superb.

Go do it.

(I.e. why tell me what to do, when you are just as capable of doing it as I?)
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

-1- because you might learn something/change something or have a longer exchange.
Unknown means unknown.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

-1- wrote: June 19th, 2018, 2:45 am
Karpel Tunnel wrote: June 17th, 2018, 6:39 am

Karpal, you are right. Your idea is superb.

Go do it.

(I.e. why tell me what to do, when you are just as capable of doing it as I?)
I didn't 'tell you to do it'. I gave my opinion about what would be more useful, given your position on what he wrote in his post. It was my critical opinion of your approach, in this case to a post I did not have any interest in responding to. I tried to make my post an example of what I meant, and I figure it is useful if people are encouraged to do what I think leads to more fruitful discussions. I thought that was more important. Thanks for thinking it is a superb position to take. Perhaps it will be more your habit in the future.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Karpal: I did not say you did tell me "go do it". You are putting words in my mouth.

Good strategy, but despicable as are all Strawman fallacy arguments.

What I did was I asked you a question, which was not an imperative. It was a question.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

-1- wrote: June 20th, 2018, 11:30 pm Karpal: I did not say you did tell me "go do it". You are putting words in my mouth.

Good strategy, but despicable as are all Strawman fallacy arguments.

What I did was I asked you a question, which was not an imperative. It was a question.
You asked me
why tell me what to do
that presumes I told you what to do.
Questions can contain assertions/assumptions.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream