Does Special Relativity contain contradictions?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Steve3007

Re: Does Special Relativity contain contradictions?

Post by Steve3007 »

They can measure each others ticks on approach and after passing each other
They are not approaching or passing each other. Read again what I said.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Clock A is measured by clock A to be ticking more quickly than clock B while clock B is measured by clock B to be ticking more quickly than clock A. No contradiction in that.
I agree with the above statement. (Although I would say "clock A is measured by observer A".)
However, there is only one underlying reality, and in that underlying reality it cannot be the case that both clocks are ticking faster than the other clock. If you disagree with that, you should say so. And if you agree with it, again you should say so. This will reveal whether you are doing magic or physics.
You should re-frame the above statement in terms of something that can be measured. This will reveal whether you are discussing the empirical subject of physics.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Error: When I said this: "A is not proposing to be A, B, C, D or E." I meant this: "A is not proposing to be B, C, D or E.". Clearly, by definition, A is A. (I assume you at least do agree with that.)
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Event-meshing failures automatically arise out of any attempt to run time under the rule that no clocks run slow. Anything Halc may have said about a set zero model has no bearing on what happens in set 1 models - with set 1 we try to generate the block in a manner that gives causation a role, and event-meshing failures are absolutely unavoidable there. You are simply arguing against something that goes beyond your limited knowledge and understanding.
As I recall, from a long time ago, Halc pointed out to you that your discussion of "event meshing failures" stems from your misunderstanding of what a 4 dimensional graph of the world-line of an object represents. Hopefully, if Halc sees this, he will tell me if I am remembering his words correctly.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

OK, re "event meshing failures" here's the relevant post:

viewtopic.php?p=318868#p318868
Halc wrote:You seem to be under the impression that things move through spacetime. They don't. Things have worldlines in spacetime, as the diagram (not the simulation) depicts. All objects are present at all points on their worldlines, so there is no concept of ships arriving while their planets are still in the past. Nothing has a current moment.
Note what he's telling you here, David. Talking about an object "progressing through spacetime" and arriving at a point in its worldline (at an event in the 4 dimensional graph of its life history) is a category error. Note: this doesn't mean that we have to throw away the idea that time flows, if we don't want to. So don't start going on about that.

A 4 dimensional graph of the set of events that constitute the entire life of an object is just that - a 4 dimensional graph, one of whose axes is time.
Halc

Post by Halc »

Steve3007 wrote: September 24th, 2018, 8:34 pm
Event-meshing failures automatically arise out of any attempt to run time under the rule that no clocks run slow. Anything Halc may have said about a set zero model has no bearing on what happens in set 1 models - with set 1 we try to generate the block in a manner that gives causation a role, and event-meshing failures are absolutely unavoidable there. You are simply arguing against something that goes beyond your limited knowledge and understanding.
As I recall, from a long time ago, Halc pointed out to you that your discussion of "event meshing failures" stems from your misunderstanding of what a 4 dimensional graph of the world-line of an object represents. Hopefully, if Halc sees this, he will tell me if I am remembering his words correctly.
Yes, I'm watching all this. I was referring to the spacetime model that is described in Einstein's theory, not to this set-zero model described in David's paper. If the set zero model is found inconsistent, that is fine with me.

I can follow both of you, but it still requires an interpreter since different languages are being spoken, but I see glimmers of light on that front.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Halc wrote:I can follow both of you, but it still requires an interpreter since different languages are being spoken, but I see glimmers of light on that front.
I'm glad you can see glimmers of light because I don't think I can! When David incorrectly says that frame A asserts itself to also be another frame (which happens to be the frame that he regards as the absolute one, and which I refer to as frame E, to try to show him his error) I really don't think he can yet see the error he is making. Of course, if it is I who is making the error I'd be keen to know.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

As I said to David a while ago, the root of our disagreement stems from our disagreement as to what physics actually is, and what the laws of physics are. He hasn't yet accepted that. When I said that, he said that we were merely using different words to describe the same thing. I don't think we are. I think the laws of physics are, essentially, patterns in our observations. He doesn't.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Re this:
viewtopic.php?p=320316#p320316
Steve3007 wrote:There is no contradiction in saying that I am moving with respect to frame A and stationary with respect to frame B.
David Cooper wrote:I've told you plenty of times that I have no problem with that - it is not a contradiction.
Just to be absolutely 100% crystal clear on this, here is where you said the thing that you now deny:
David Cooper wrote:if something is not moving in one frame (no change in spatial distance between itself and any other object at rest in that frame) and is moving in another (with a change in spatial distance between other objects which are at rest in that frame), then we have contradictory claims from different frames about whether the object is moving or not, and we can't tell which one is wrong.
As me and Halc discussed a while ago, your self contradiction, and your refusal to acknowledge it as such, appears to arise from your ambiguous use of the word "moving". Please properly look at what you've said here and understand why it's important to clearly and unambiguously say what you mean. Don't just fly off the handle with a long rant about dogmas or whatever. This is not "word games". It's simply properly defining words. In order to parse a statement or a question we first need to understand, as clearly as possible, what the words in that statement or question mean. The attempt to do that is not a word game.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Steve -

Is that is the case why are you spamming the same things over and over. Why not just leave it?
AKA badgerjelly
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Thank you for your input BG. I disagree with your characterization of the conversation.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Steve3007:
Thank you for your input BG. I disagree with your characterization of the conversation.
As do I.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Thank you Fooloso4. I presume BG referred to "spamming" at least partly because I wrote several short posts in succession in response to, and immediately after, this post of David's:

viewtopic.php?p=320314#p320314

Each of those short posts deals with a different point from David's relatively long post. Of course, I could have posted a relatively long post myself and tried to deal with several things at once within it, including numerous quotes. That is what I, and many others, often tend to do in this forum. But it struck me that one of the problems with that approach is that points easily get mixed up and confused. A series of smaller posts can be referred back to individually, by both their writer and anyone wanting to critique them. That's why I did it.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Steve:
I presume BG referred to "spamming" at least partly because I wrote several short posts in succession in response to, and immediately after ...
I took it as stated:
… the same things over and over
I don’t agree. There is always some repetition but I think you are doing a good job of clarifying the issues and points of disagreement.
But it struck me that one of the problems with that approach is that points easily get mixed up and confused.
I have thought of the best way to deal with this problem as well and have not come up with an effective strategy, but that is a discussion for another time in another topic.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Don’t mind me. Just trying to figure out what this is all about. It does look to me like things are being said and denied over and over, but if I’m wrong I’m wrong.

I’m just overly keen to get involved and a little frustrated that I cannot really see what is being talked about. You guys seem to be getting something done though so I’ll just butt out and PM if I get a grasp of this better before I bother posting anything.
AKA badgerjelly

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream