Why be cyrptic about chemisty?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Alun

Post by Alun »

hallam, I really don't think elitism is the reason for scientific language; it is complicated only because it needs to be in order to communicate everything.

wanabe, I am a chemist of some kind, yes. I don't really want to get too specific on a public forum with strangers though, sorry. Inorganic molecules can sortof be represented by pictures like that; I mean, wikipedia has this picture of carbonate:
Whereas simplifying that would just take out the big "C." Most inorganics also form crystal structures as solids, and we use them in their solid form a lot, so it's usually helpful to have a more 3-dimensional picture. E.g. sodium carbonate has a crystal structure made of sheets like this:
Where you can see that every other carbonate has a sodium (purple sphere) above it--and the ones that don't have one below.

And obviously trying to capture all of this in a name is very difficult, but the crystal structure above is determined by the charge of carbonate (and the size of carbon/oxygen vs. sodium) so that is another reason to have the carbonate name so strongly emphasize charge.

Edit: Clarity.
Last edited by Alun on October 19th, 2009, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have nothing new to teach the world" -Mohandas "Mahatma" Gandhi
hallam

Post by hallam »

I wouldn't call it elitism only but maybe more job security especially for the more academic/basic research chemistry jobs. I would say that there is at least an element of elitism which contributes to language creation within a certain vain of every scientific field.

But then also my argument was for a consistency across spoken languages too.
tmv

Post by tmv »

I don't know if this has been answered but I think its pretty much because the C2H3O2 tells you what the molecule is made of but it does not tell you the arrangement and that's why there are different names that you can only learn from memorization.

There's still patterns to even those names though

The difference between Chlorate and Chlorite is Chlorite has one less Oxygen, and Hpyochlorite has one lass than that. So there are still easy to see patterns.
wanabe
Favorite Philosopher: Gandhi.

Post by wanabe »

CO_3^2 = carbonate...correct? (yes)

If that is the case(which it is) why can't we write:

(Carbon_1 Oxygen_3)^2+ that does = CO_3^2+ and that does =carbonate

Except carbonate is the only one, where one has to learn hybrid English-chemistry. Its pretty much chemist slang that they force people to use. The proper way to write CO_3^2+ is CO_3^2+....otherwise the name (the name is only descriptive if you know CO_3^2+_(s)=carbonate) its not all that descriptive.

So basically it boils down to shortening up: common compounds or big ones, by using a few "rules"; with tons of exceptions.

Its elitist out of practical necessity.
Secret To Eternal Life: Live Life To The Fullest, Help All Others To Do So.Meaning of Life Is Choice. Increase choice through direct perception. Golden rule+universality principal+Promote benefits-harm+logical consistency=morality.BeTheChange.
hallam

Post by hallam »

wanabe wrote:
Its elitist out of practical necessity.
But it is not practical to those who do not speak English. Take Japanese, you will never see carbonate in their language. First because they don't have the letter c at all. they use k for everything. The first r wouldn't be alone also. It would most likely be followed by an a since all consonants are tied to vowels accept for a couple of special cases. So you would have a romanization that looks like karabonate. That is significantly different. It would sound differently too; something like kara-bon-a-te Further, the Japanese wouldn't use romanization. They would just use katakana because that is the written characters for foreign words. Most people can't read katakana.

However, CO_3^2 can be read by everyone.
Alun

Post by Alun »

wanabe wrote:Except carbonate is the only one, where one has to learn hybrid English-chemistry.
What about phosphate, sulfate, etc.?
"I have nothing new to teach the world" -Mohandas "Mahatma" Gandhi
wanabe

Post by wanabe »

That style of writing(carbonate) was being the example for all of them(your etc.).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
hallam, you have a point. Japanese have to learn the western words to communicate in what originally developed as a western language (chemistry).

However, It like saying its unfair that the people who formalized chemistry spoke English (which it is, but that doesn't change the way things are, and life isn't fair).

To write CO2 there is still a C being written that the Japanese wouldn't know. So no method is fair fro any language that doesn't use the a-z alphabet in some form.
~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
It seems unnecessary to teach slang(ex: carbonate) and proper grammar(CO_3^2-) at the same time, to one who is just leaning the language of chemistry. It would be much more effective to teach all "formal grammar", master it, and then learn "slang".

Doesn't change my situation though, because thats how its done for now; and eliminating slang would be near impossible.
Secret To Eternal Life: Live Life To The Fullest, Help All Others To Do So.Meaning of Life Is Choice. Increase choice through direct perception. Golden rule+universality principal+Promote benefits-harm+logical consistency=morality.BeTheChange.
hallam

Post by hallam »

wanabe wrote: hallam, you have a point. Japanese have to learn the western words to communicate in what originally developed as a western language (chemistry).

However, It like saying its unfair that the people who formalized chemistry spoke English (which it is, but that doesn't change the way things are, and life isn't fair).

To write CO2 there is still a C being written that the Japanese wouldn't know. So no method is fair fro any language that doesn't use the a-z alphabet in some form.
Are you going to make the Japanese do this? Are you going to make the Chinese? No you are not. Further, chemistry was not born in Western world (but this shouldn't be debated here) and it certainly isn't contained by the Western world now. Look at any one of the STEM programs and you will see more and more Chinese and Indian researchers (and not necessarily Americans either). They further the science now just as much as the West.

Chemistry is going to stick with the Chemistry language they have now because all chemists speaks that language now. The shortenings are for layman. They serve a purpose to those who are not chemists. Biology has this too with the biological names and common names. There is no real need for your suggestion for only using shortening or for all chemists to revert back to and learn one language which didn't even found chemistry. They have one language and it is in symbols.
wanabe

Post by wanabe »

Hllam,
Non-western speaking languages have adapted to using western symbols for chemistry.(obviously not contained in the west, nor is the west most apt in the practice of chemistry)

Chemistry was formalized in the west, not born in the west, I know.

There is one official language for chemistry (symbols), but there are also others that are used as well(English nomenclature).
hallam

Post by hallam »

wanabe wrote:Hllam,
Non-western speaking languages have adapted to using western symbols for chemistry.(obviously not contained in the west, nor is the west most apt in the practice of chemistry)

Chemistry was formalized in the west, not born in the west, I know.

There is one official language for chemistry (symbols), but there are also others that are used as well(English nomenclature).
They relate findings in symbols yes but they are not changing there common language to afford your desire for everyone to use English.
wanabe

Post by wanabe »

:roll: ok they would obviously say the element name in there native toung.

I didn't want everyone to speak English ever, and now i see the reasoning behind having names for chemical formulas/compounds.

Ultimately though if anyone is using (accepted) chemical symbols; then they are using English (western symbols, even if they are modified).
hallam

Post by hallam »

wanabe wrote::roll: ok they would obviously say the element name in there native toung.

I didn't want everyone to speak English ever, and now i see the reasoning behind having names for chemical formulas/compounds.

Ultimately though if anyone is using (accepted) chemical symbols; then they are using English (western symbols, even if they are modified).
The premise of this thread was for everyone to stop using the symbols and just go with the common names. If they are going to just say these names in their common language then it is not a common chemistry language.
wanabe

Post by wanabe »

You misunderstood the premise. It wasn't just an assertion, it was a question also... Yea I'm done talking to you.
hallam

Post by hallam »

wanabe wrote:You misunderstood the premise. It wasn't just an assertion, it was a question also... Yea I'm done talking to you.
You can walk away all you want but that wont change the fact that you said
It seems like a lot of time and energy could be saved by simply calling the elements by their names and adding respective scripts when "translating" chemistry to English.
This premise is the make everyone use the common names which wouldn't work for all languages as my example showed.

Then you said this comment
Japanese have to learn the western words to communicate in what originally developed as a western language (chemistry).
As if the Western world is going to force these countries to change there languages so that you can use the common words in English words too for your own laziness.

I got your premise. It just will never happen. It was also selfish and lazy. I am sorry that I don't cao cao to ideas that only enforce old outdated stereotypes.
wanabe

Post by wanabe »

The premise is to allow people to learn one way of leaning to speak chemistry. Before adding a bunch of jive with nomenclature names in a respective language.

the Japanese as a matter of fact use the same chemical symbols as us (the old stereotypical westerners) http://www.jergym.hiedu.cz/~canovm/vyhl ... japan.html ...They had to! learn some English.

I'm sorry you get lost in political correctness before you see the real point.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream