Could the universe possibly be a giant brain cell?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.

Post Number:#1  Postby Jeherohaku » May 20th, 2012, 10:59 pm

So I came across an image juxtaposing a view of a brain cell and a view of what the universe is thought to be like on a large scale, and a question was posed with it: could the universe be a giant brain cell? From appearance I lean toward yes, but I think it would come down more to basic function and not just appearance alone (I would post the image but I'm too new as of now - I can post it later when able to). I admittedly am not well versed in either biology or theories about the universe, so does anyone have anything for or against this idea?
Jeherohaku
New Trial Member

Become a member for less ads

Already a member? Login

Re: Could the universe possibly be a giant brain cell?

Post Number:#2  Postby Scott » May 21st, 2012, 1:46 am

A brain cell or a brain? If the universe could be a brain cell, why not a toenail cell or a cup of water? Or a computer chip?

Science is always open to new observations and data, but by what we have uncovered now it seems like there is a known smallest building block of the universe. Also, there are other factors that make it seem as though the universe can not be compared to a brain cell. For instance, there are presumably parts of the universe that cannot share information with other parts such as the part in which we are because the rate of expansion is so much greater than the speed of light. A brain cell or brain by definition would seem to need to be able to communicate across itself, I suspect. I'm not sure a brain can work if it or one of it's cells has event horizons scattered about.
Online Philosophy Club - Please tell me how to improve this website!

Check it out: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?
Scott
Site Admin

Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

Re: Could the universe possibly be a giant brain cell?

Post Number:#3  Postby A Poster He or I » May 21st, 2012, 2:38 pm

...there are presumably parts of the universe that cannot share information with other parts such as the part in which we are because the rate of expansion is so much greater than the speed of light. A brain cell or brain by definition would seem to need to be able to communicate across itself, I suspect. I'm not sure a brain can work if it or one of it's cells has event horizons scattered about.

In recent years I recall reading in several unrelated sources that there is mounting evidence for what seem to be nonlocal effects operating in the body. Nonlocality is an empirically proven aspect of so-called entangled quanta. If indeed nonlocality is an operative principle in body function, it might work for the universe-as-brain(cell) analogy, in which case the light barrier might not be an obstacle to the relaying of information (given that non-local transmission is apparently instantaneous).
A Poster He or I

Favorite Philosopher: Anaximander

Return to Philosophy of Science