Why physical constants?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Geordie Ross
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Re: Why physical constants?

Post by Geordie Ross »

Xris wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

This theory does not deny fine tuning it simply theorises on the idea that it was pure chance that this universe was finely tuned. But as they have no proof of alternatives it is just a theory. Natural selection does not deny a determined formula to create life and evolve. There is nothing random or given over to chance with evolution. How you define fine tuning with natures ability I do not know.But if you give nature the same circumstances and opportunity it will perform to a set of rules. Is that fine tuning?
Firstly, its not a theory, its a hypothesis, secondly, 'fine tuning' implies a fine tuner, this offers a counter explanation to intelligent design argument without the need for supernatural deities.
The good life is one inspired by love, and guided by knowledge. - Bertrand Russell
Xris

Post by Xris »

Geordie Ross wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Firstly, its not a theory, its a hypothesis, secondly, 'fine tuning' implies a fine tuner, this offers a counter explanation to intelligent design argument without the need for supernatural deities.

Not sure what you are suggesting. Does this indicate that if this hypothesis is proven wrong there is a fine tuner?
Rilx

Post by Rilx »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Why do physical constants exist in this universe? We have the gravitational constant, Planck's constant and the speed of light (in a vacuum) as a few examples. A quick check on the internet indicates this is an open question.

I'm speculating how this came about and I have no quick answers. Maybe someone would like to tackle this problem.
I don't think they exist "in this (natural) universe". They exist in human science and its standards and measures. For instance, our decimal system originates from the number of our fingers - not very coherent with gravity or the speed of light.

I understand physical constants as interfaces between nature and human explanations of nature.
Xris

Post by Xris »

We have to accept that certain constants do maintain the universe. Those constants can not be changed even slightly before we would see the universe collapse and cease to exist as we know it. But the question would be the same even if we did not know about these constants.Our ancestors still had to ask the same questions. Why does the universe exist at all? It does become more of a dramatic question if you believe in the BB. It infers that the laws had to be predetermined. We have to accept some magical act managed to ignore all these laws for the first few seconds and then they suddenly decided to be as we know them. It requires a leap of faith to believe the natural laws can be so understanding as to know precisely when to change. It beggars belief.
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

A side note on this subject:

The particular sizes of many universal constants are a consequence of the "human scale" units in which we choose to express them. Planck's constant, for example, is very small when expressed in metres, kilograms and seconds because these units have been chosen to be useful at everyday scales of space, mass and time. It would be perfectly possible to create a set of units in which Planck's constant is unity. So the interesting questions are more about the relative sizes of different constants, when expressed in the same units, and about the constants, like pi, which have no units because they are ratios.

I think the question of why they have these relative sizes is essentially the same as the question of why physical laws appear to exist in the particular form that they do at all. It's the question: why does the universe have structure and order and why does it have the particular type of structure that it does? And, as people have mentioned here, there are various possible answers involving such things as the anthropic principle and/or cosmological natural selection.
TimBandTech
Favorite Philosopher: Kant

Post by TimBandTech »

Rilx wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

I don't think they exist "in this (natural) universe". They exist in human science and its standards and measures. For instance, our decimal system originates from the number of our fingers - not very coherent with gravity or the speed of light.

I understand physical constants as interfaces between nature and human explanations of nature.
This is a pretty excellent interpretation on Rilx's part. Consider that from naught we must construct a theory of the physical universe. Consider that we are evolved from apes, and that our system of language may be constrained by genetic rules. A reasonably first theory of the universe is to suppose that Somebody made it, but this personification is a naive attempt. Observant and experimental humans have come to be masters of materials, but this does not mean that we understand why those materials exist.

When we can derive the electron (with spin) there will be less constants. When we can derive spacetime then there will be less constants. For now these devices are empirical in their treatment, and clean theory cannot rest upon an empirical base. Still, from naught some primitives must start somewhere. We are engaged in such a progression. We are so gullible to believe that modern science deserves a bow deeper that god. We are likely wrong about many things, and on a few of those things I can substantiate. Why is thermal conductivity so slow? There is no answer to this in modern thermodynamics, yet they will act as if their subject is pristine and any who fail to obey its rules are merely lesser humans or physicists. Well, gullibility and mimicry rule the day, for we are merely social animals and we cannot so readily escape those constraints. If our language carries a false structure to the one of the universe then we will be in need of a gene splice to remedy the situation. When we build an orb so intelligent as to derive the electron it may not have any clean interpretation to feed back to us. Oh, I will be the dinosaur of another day, but that's not all they'll say...
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

Tim. I think you're doing the same thing that many many people have done on this forum: placing science on a pedestal so that you can knock it off.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Today is the 107th birthday of Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar. Discoverer of the famous Chandrasekhar limit, which is 1.4 solar masses.

Perhaps the ultimate accolade is to be associated with a significant number. Planck. Avogadro. Joseph Heller. Boltzmann. I could go on.

Happy birthday Subrahmanyan.
Mechsmith

Post by Mechsmith »

The speed of light (c) is only to an observer. Consequently the observer and the observed light must be subjected to the same gravitational field, and consequently again to the same speed of time.

Now what happens if you move the observer to the event horizon of a "Black Hole"?

I think that will show that (c) is location dependent. Or perhaps that the speed of time is.

I have noticed that if we regard (c) as a constant then the speed of time changes. The converse is also true.

Click on, (to enhance confusion further) "The Harvard Tower Experiments)
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

The estimation for those constants is mostly a regression line or polynomial. What most of the people don't understand is, that if one uses a regression line as an estimator for a constant in physics , the regression line functional has a confidence-interval dependent on the measure point which is dependent on the made measurment. This should be clear if a measurement has a dense point set in some regions and some scattered point in another region not only the slope or the rise of the regression line has a variance but every measure point then has for the corresponding line a functional estimator f(x)=a x_meas +b . But this estimator has a confidence in which is dependent on x_meas so $f(x_meas) \in [m-conf_low, m+conf_high]$ but this is dependent on the point. Some regions are densly measured others small. This is normally not taken into account of the corresponding considerations.

-- Updated October 24th, 2017, 4:55 am to add the following --

So it could be, that from a statistical viewpoint so called constants are for some parameter intervall in such big confidence intervalls, that those number are no constants at all.

-- Updated October 24th, 2017, 5:07 am to add the following --

Just assume a function wich is constant in the middle of it's measured intervall, but then rises on both edges of the intervall. If one takes many points for estimation of a regression line in the middle as measurements, an just two or three pertubed to the outside which still fit the regression model one has an extremely low variance for the regression line although the confidence interval at the edges of the intervall rises in it's extent very fast. Many people would claim that this is a constant . This is even more severe if this problem in non-linearly coupled into other equations.

-- Updated October 24th, 2017, 5:22 am to add the following --

So the socalled constant functional f(x)= 0*x +b is a good estimator for the middle points as a hypothesis but a bad estimator at the border of the intervall although the variance of the slope close to 0 is small (as well as the variance of b).

-- Updated October 24th, 2017, 8:01 am to add the following --

Even for statistical learning, neural networks and bayesian learning algorithms this is important. Another thing would be , that one doesn't use the variance but median as a measurment for calculation of the confidence intervals.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

Dolphin42 wrote:I think the question of why they have these relative sizes is essentially the same as the question of why physical laws appear to exist in the particular form that they do at all. It's the question: why does the universe have structure and order and why does it have the particular type of structure that it does? And, as people have mentioned here, there are various possible answers involving such things as the anthropic principle and/or cosmological natural selection.
I agree. I think the question 'Why are there physical constants?' can basically be reduced to 'Why is there some apparent order in the Universe, rather than apparent complete chaos?' And I also basically agree with your statement of proposed solutions.

I myself basically explain the apparent order as being the result of the fact that the Universe itself is actually a Conscious entity, and this implies a necessary corresponding order in phenomena. Consciousness implies order, because it cannot exist in a state of complete chaos.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

A lot of physical constants are conversion factors between different man-made units. Like the conversion between centimetres and inches, or Celsius and Fahrenheit. I guess the speed of light can be seen as the conversion factor between two different man-made units of "spacetime interval". Units of metres and units of seconds. Giving us the number of metres that are equivalent to one second. i.e. m/s.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream