What is Art?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.

Re: What is Art?

Post Number:#496  Postby Spraticus » January 24th, 2017, 5:23 am

Lucimix wrote:Art is the passage of something from a natural state to a cultural state.

Sometimes. Much of art is comment on other art. Are we talking about the popular use of the word art to cover things like painting and sculpture, or is it the arts, which would include music, dance, theatre etc. Once again, while I agree that it involves making things in the cultural realm, I'm not sure that it necessarily involves the transition from natural to cultural.
Spraticus

Become a member for less ads

Already a member? Login

Post Number:#497  Postby Fire_Monkey » March 31st, 2017, 8:01 pm

Art is a language.

It's a medium used by the Creator to express an idea or feeling or a representation of something.

If you look at art in this manner, you can never go wrong, nor be argued with! As you can when discussing the merits or shortcomings of a particular piece of art. Like......Ya call that art? LOL. With the language idea, all one has to concede is that the artist was attempting to communicate something.

Btw....I'd like to say I invented this idea...Art as a language. But actually my wife the MFA major told me it. It is the dominant definition if art in college grad level courses, I am told.
Fire_Monkey
New Trial Member

Post Number:#498  Postby LuckyR » April 12th, 2017, 7:35 pm

Fire_Monkey wrote:Art is a language.

It's a medium used by the Creator to express an idea or feeling or a representation of something.

If you look at art in this manner, you can never go wrong, nor be argued with! As you can when discussing the merits or shortcomings of a particular piece of art. Like......Ya call that art? LOL. With the language idea, all one has to concede is that the artist was attempting to communicate something.

Btw....I'd like to say I invented this idea...Art as a language. But actually my wife the MFA major told me it. It is the dominant definition if art in college grad level courses, I am told.

Not bad, but be aware that by your definition (which I agree with, BTW) the use of the word "art" is warranted by the state of mind of the creator of said art (as opposed to an intrinsic characteristic of the piece itself). What do grad schools say is the role (if any) of the audience?
"As usual... it depends."
LuckyR

Post Number:#499  Postby -1- » April 22nd, 2017, 4:20 am

Art is the art of making the obvious obvious. -- unknown (to me) author.
Sweat the small stuff... because then the big stuff will take care of itself.
-1-

Post Number:#500  Postby Spraticus » April 24th, 2017, 4:37 am

Fire_Monkey wrote:Art is a language.

You might be surprised at what people can argue with. Art can be used as you propose, to describe a medium of expression but it is often used in the appallingly silly sense, "Art is what artist do or what they refer to to when they say, "I make art", or, "this is art", which leaves you in an infinite regress of dependent definitions.
Saying, " it's a medium used by the Creator to express an idea or feeling or a representation of something," is a bit broad and vague; when Donald Trump talks about his wall he is certainly expressing something but I don't feel it's art.
Spraticus

Previous

Return to Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts