Analysis: Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Analysis: Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey

Post by Eduk » December 6th, 2017, 12:55 pm

It is interesting that what I see as possible (not definite) refutation of 'God did it' being that in this fiction 'Aliens did it' can be taken as yet more proof of the existence of the necessity of God by those who believe in God.
Obviously the film is quite open to interpretation and therefore will be interpreted (not incorrectly) differently by different people. As is, I imagine, the intent.
I will offer another interpretation. Alien life simply wishes to increase the survivability of its own alien life by 'evolving' other alien (to it) life. Left 'unevolved' the the other alien life could be a potential threat. In the extreme long run this prevents conflict and is not entirely altruistic. Although it does lead to a 'good' result for all.

Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk » December 6th, 2017, 12:58 pm

Although of course the first instance of 'evolution' is to weaponise a bone. So perhaps you need to crack a few eggs, or perhaps the Aliens are a little more nefarious than my first guess.

Jklint

Post by Jklint » Yesterday, 6:03 pm

The theme when first heard announces the beginning of the journey toward apotheosis which in the final moments of the film is heard again symbolizing its emergence...wishful thinking encapsulated in one motive...or music as philosophy which no one ever talks about.