What is Art?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Greta
Site Admin

Re: What is Art?

Post by Greta » November 20th, 2017, 12:09 am

It looks like a fair few of us agree that, as you'd expect, art is subjective.

The line between nature and is blurred to some extent with photo art:

The visual is inherently artistic, with its subtle shading and beautiful folds, but Jupiter isn't making art, it's just gaseous material. Yet the photograph, with consideration to framing and light, capturing a particular moment, becomes a digital object of art.

3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj » December 11th, 2017, 5:44 pm

I think the best definition is simply what everyone usually takes as meaning art. The common, ordinary sense of the word. An object made by an artist, presented on the wall or on a pedestal, in art galleries and museums, etc. Good, bad, indifferent, art is simply art. Everything else is everything else.

"Art" is not a value judgement, it's a category of objects. Suit yourself, but this works for me and I recommend it.

You could say that there's a second definition: the highest aspiration of humankind. But the first description works great for most purposes.
fair to say

Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand » December 12th, 2017, 12:00 am

To generalize, it's quite obvious that the highest aspiration of humanity today is money. To consider the value of a piece of art it is most indicated in its sale price,whatever its other qualities may be. Quite a few people find money of huge aesthetic value, above love, beauty, compassion, and even life itself. And that latter seems to be destroying the planet.

SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy » December 12th, 2017, 4:53 am

Good art is not only a superb expression of ones own feelings, its a good way to earn a mediocre existence.

chala
New Trial Member

Post by chala » December 20th, 2017, 5:22 pm

I would define art as a process that occurs when a quality of emotion not experienced in our normal life is intentionally communicated to another through the medium of a work of art.

jerlands

Post by jerlands » February 12th, 2018, 4:13 pm

The definition of art... am I supposed to follow laws? The word is derived from its root (ar) "to fit together" and (rtih) "manner and mode" to be thought of as the "manner in which something is put together" and evolved into the "embellishment of a skill." Maybe however art is simply pronunciation?

Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand » February 13th, 2018, 1:15 am

As an artist who has worked in a variety of mediums I have understood that art is closely related to science where both investigate the potentials of multitudes of techniques to explore the world and manipulate the abstract effects of sense and emotions to see what they might do and how they might relate.