What is Art?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
3uGH7D4MLj

Re: What is Art?

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj » April 16th, 2018, 11:38 pm

Windrammer wrote:
April 14th, 2018, 11:57 pm
Jan Sand wrote:
December 12th, 2017, 12:00 am
To generalize, it's quite obvious that the highest aspiration of humanity today is money. To consider the value of a piece of art it is most indicated in its sale price,whatever its other qualities may be. Quite a few people find money of huge aesthetic value, above love, beauty, compassion, and even life itself. And that latter seems to be destroying the planet.
"Highest" does not mean "largest" or "most predominant", if that were the case the highest aspiration of humanity is sex. For the less cynical - emotional connection.

But "highest" in this sense ought to mean something closer to "transcendent". Art, if we're to call it creativity for creativity's sake, is an endeavor of just that - creation. The attempt to defy God and nature and create something entirely new. Which we will never truly be able to do, or we will have captured divinity for ourselves.
Quite a few people find money of huge aesthetic value
Frankly, I don't think that's in line with the definition of "aesthetic"
That last part, I agree with windrammer.

When I put that little tag on the end of my post about "highest aspirations," I didn't expect someone to come up with "money grubbing." But I think you're right, Jan Sand. It's not what I meant, but, yeah.

Anyway what about the rest of the post? That art is just art and there's no mystery or value judgement?
There's no hard problem in art, it's just a category of objects. Art is art.

I never did think much of the words create, creativity, sort of gives me the creeps. You're right, God creates.
fair to say

Jan Sand

Re: What is Art?

Post by Jan Sand » April 17th, 2018, 12:30 am

I cannot demean anything claimed as art since, as someone who might be classified as a professional artist, I have seen that more as a point of view rather than as an inherent quality of any object. I have seen visitors to a museum glance questionally at a ventilator plate on a wall displaying examples on a wall of the latest art. Art seems to become examination of anything in its relationship to ethical standards and any stroll along the average city street with an appreciative eye and a background in aesthetics can find multitudes of objects to judge appreciatively. Placing them in a museum for appreciation as art is not unusual but it can, much of the time, seem a waste of effort and is often a bore. This is not to indicate that these offerings have no aesthetic qualities but rather that museums for them becomes unnecessary. Beyond this, objects created by artists specifically designed and executed with great skill partaking of the inherent qualities of ordinary objects but capitalizing on and emphasizing normally ignored aspects can be startling and instructive and delightful and well worth observing. The price value of any art object is irrelevant as those are determined by market values which have little to do with intrinsic qualities.