Is it true that less is more, in music?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Present awareness

Is it true that less is more, in music?

Post by Present awareness »

I've often heard the expression that less is more, when it comes to music. An example would be a bass player whom is much too busy with his notes, creating a much less solid foundation for the other harmonies to rest on. Then of course there are the shredders on lead guitar, playing notes as fast as humanly possible. Even a drummer can be guilty of too many snare and tom hits and crashes on the cymbals.

So what do you think? Is less more, or the more musical notes, the better?
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
Philosophy Explorer

Re: Is it true that less is more, in music?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Present awareness wrote:I've often heard the expression that less is more, when it comes to music. An example would be a bass player whom is much too busy with his notes, creating a much less solid foundation for the other harmonies to rest on. Then of course there are the shredders on lead guitar, playing notes as fast as humanly possible. Even a drummer can be guilty of too many snare and tom hits and crashes on the cymbals.

So what do you think? Is less more, or the more musical notes, the better?
Based on something Isaac Stern has said, I believe you're missing the nail with your hammer.

PhilX
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I guess John Cage certainly agreed that it is true when he wrote 4'33". As I understand it, this was essentially the point of that piece of "music".
Present awareness

Steve3007 wrote:I guess John Cage certainly agreed that it is true when he wrote 4'33". As I understand it, this was essentially the point of that piece of "music".
I had a look at your example 4' 33" on YouTube, and it reminds me of an artist who takes an empty canvas and hangs it on the wall. Maybe give it a name like "white rabbit in a snowstorm".

Silence is what gives music context. Without silence, all you have is noise. However, It takes one note to give silence context, so they are dependant on each other, just as time and space are dependant on each other.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Yes. I noticed a while ago in the science section of this forum some people were arguing that it takes the presence of objects to define the concept of space. Same idea.

One interesting thing, though, about 4'33": I gather that when people are subjected to a "performance"* of that piece, it may not contain any notes but it does serve very effectively to draw their attention to other sounds: coughs, breathing, the noises from outside the concert hall, the creaking of the building, and so on.

Perhaps those noises are sort of the musical equivalent of the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation!

*This kind of subject seems to require the frequent use of square-quotes!
A Poster He or I
Favorite Philosopher: Anaximander

Post by A Poster He or I »

I'm not a professional musician but I do compose computer-generated music as a hobby where I continually face the issue of how dense or spare to make the song arrangement. I almost always lean toward the less-is-more approach, and in general I feel that if a composition is great enough it should be able to carry itself on just a single instrument, like a solo piano or acoustic guitar.

However, there are always exceptions. One of my all-time favorite rock songs is Tom Sawyer by Rush. The drumming on the song is wildly over-the-top, but somehow the song just demands no less, as a fundamental ingredient in its composition. My favorite classical piece is Mahler's Symphony #8, the so-called "Symphony of a Thousand" because its initial performance reputedly required over a thousand musicians to perform (Modern performances generally use less than 300 musicians, which still required off-stage platforms to fit them all in the 2 performances I've seen). Somehow it all seems justified when you hear the finale trying to storm the gates of heaven!
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

P-a said:

"Silence is what gives music context. Without silence, all you have is noise. However, It takes one note to give silence context, so they are dependant on each other, just as time and space are dependant on each other."

Pretty much what Isaac Stern said. Now you're hitting the nail on the head.

PhilX
Luisgmarquez1985
Favorite Philosopher: Baruch Spinoza

Post by Luisgmarquez1985 »

depending on the type of music, some may require a foundation or a steady, constant beat that will allow the other instrument to make their mark based on that foundation. In the end, so long as the entire music is being played in a harmonious length, including certain parts that exert a certain randomness or a beat that is not of that particular music such as a remix, this music can be greatly appreciated.

So long as how part of the music is being "too busy" or "too slow", it can be heard with awe, yet even this is rather subjective.
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing" - Socrates

"To understand is to be free" - Baruch Spinoza
Present awareness

I suppose that a painter is faced with the same dilemma of knowing when to stop applying paint. It seems that the good artist or musicians, have an instinct of knowing when something is complete. Adding more paint or more notes, onto a finished work, tends to muddy the clarity of the creative statement.
Rodion

Post by Rodion »

It would be quite interessting to hear a computer generated sound with perfect harmony, but many notes in just a short amount of time.
AlmsFor-An-Ex-Lepper

Post by AlmsFor-An-Ex-Lepper »

I'm no musician, (though I'm a virtuoso at playing the fool :D ) but I'm a music lover with eclectic tastes. I think your question of whether less is more, is dependent upon the mood you're trying to create, amidst the musicianship of those performing, combined with the arrangements. Are you writing a ballad, love song, social commentary, etc, for all have their own feel for the writer/composer.

Pink Floyd sung a great deal about madness and the tortured mind, at times using languishing notes ranging to a manic pace, depending on the piece. They were often described in the same way...less is more. But they were reflecting the mood of mental anguish, and effective at it.

Sometimes for a ballad, there's nothing sweeter or more emotive than just a single instrument accompanying the singer. It often has the effect of making the song more intimate, raw and vulnerable, for everything is exposed...the voice and the musicianship. But ultimately, it's up to the individual songwriter, and the performer when it is someone different than the author, to make those creative and artistic decisions.
Mirosurabu
Favorite Philosopher: Nietzsche

Post by Mirosurabu »

"Less is more" is such a stupid phrase.

More is more.

The problem is this: sometimes when you add new elements you destroy many more elements than you actually add.

The thing is that when we speak of elements we rarely speak of all elements.

Let me put it this way: a system is a set of interrelated elements. As such, it is defined by two parameters: its number of elements (its apparent size) and the strength of their connections (its integrity.) The real size of the system, however, is not defined by its apparent size but by the combination of its apparent size and integrity. So an apparently huge system with a poor integrity is actually smaller than an apparently small system with a good integrity.

It is impossible to think clearly by relying on such perverted notions as "less is more".

More is, by definition, more. The problem lies in the act of counting.
AlmsFor-An-Ex-Lepper

Post by AlmsFor-An-Ex-Lepper »

Mirosurabu wrote: The problem is this: sometimes when you add new elements you destroy many more elements than you actually add.
Yes, and that is what the phrase attempts to describe by use of an oxymoronic coining.
It is impossible to think clearly by relying on such perverted notions as "less is more".
That might be the intention of using such a phrase...to jolt the thinking. I can imagine in an industry such as music the continuous demands of "more". More product, more performances, more variety, more creativity, more, more, more, that the utterance of such a phrase at a time when it is felt that a piece is being overproduced, could have a sobering effect.
More is, by definition, more. The problem lies in the act of counting.
Sure, but it's not meant to be taken literally. Though if one wanted to, could add their own impressions...less is more delicate, is more emotional, is more sensitive, is more atmospheric and so on.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth." "Aw, I'm so glad the meek are getting something...they've been having such a hard time of it lately." [Life of Brian]
Present awareness

So an apparently huge system with a poor integrity is actually smaller than an apparently small system with a good integrity.
That is a good way of expressing the concept of less is more. The word "more" is not referring to a number, but to an integrity. A small system with a good integrity, does "appear" to be bigger then a huge system with a poor integrity.
Mirosurabu
Favorite Philosopher: Nietzsche

Post by Mirosurabu »

That might be the intention of using such a phrase...to jolt the thinking. I can imagine in an industry such as music the continuous demands of "more". More product, more performances, more variety, more creativity, more, more, more, that the utterance of such a phrase at a time when it is felt that a piece is being overproduced, could have a sobering effect.
I understand that very well, but those of us who know that bigger is always better are instinctively opposed to such a phrase. We want things to be bigger so we want people to try and add as many elements as they can. And when things go wrong, we do not blame it on the number of elements that they have tried to throw into the mix, we blame it on the lack of proper coordination. Hence, you will never hear us saying "less is more".
A small system with a good integrity, does "appear" to be bigger then a huge system with a poor integrity.
Yes, but if you improve the integrity of the apparently bigger system, the apparently small one will become invisible i.e. truly small. And that's what one should do: improve the integrity, not revert back to a lower level of complexity.

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream