Is art and music dying?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Present awareness

Re: Is art and music dying?

Post by Present awareness »

Good choice Greta, choosing a very expressive guitarist to make your point.

Music begins in the womb, with the rhythm of our mothers heart. Melody is the natural extension of rhythm, which we hear in bird song or in our mothers voice. If you have ever tried to speak in a strictly monotone voice, you soon realize how important melody is, and how much meaning is conveyed just by the rising and falling of the voice in language.

A musical riff, may often relate to a verbal phrase. For example, the famous motif of Beethoven's 5th symphony, ba,ba,ba, baaaa, three short notes the same pitch followed by one long note at a lower pitch. A verbal phrase that one could say in a similar way might be, "I won't be home" or " you think I care". The higher pitch phrase could be thought of as the female voice and the lower one as the male. Thus the conversation "I won't be home" "you think I care" " I won't be home" " you think I care".

Is art and music dying? No! Art and music is in the eye of the beholder and the ear of the listener. It may die for you personally, but not for everyone.
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
Alec Smart

Post by Alec Smart »

Greta wrote: I wonder how Jeff Beck might express verbally or in writing what he expresses on guitar here and if it would have the same effect?
I saw Jeff Beck two or three years back at Sheffield City Hall and it was one of the best gigs I've ever been to, that track was part of his set. His bass player was pretty impressive, as well, a girl called Tal Wilkenfeld, I think she's Australian.
Smart by name and Alec by nature.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

I agree, PA, although I think that not only the nature of art and music changing, so is its place in society.

As mentioned earlier, John Cage heard music was in accidental ambient sound, not just the sounds we purpose build for pleasure. Melody and harmony in music seemed to reached a peak during the classical periods, a time when rhythmic elements and noise elements were at their weakest. During that period the purists considered untuned percussion to be unmusical noise. Based on my scant readings, The arch purists of the time considered untuned percussion to a base emotional effect used by the primitives they conquered and by lazy composers to build intensity. They would have claimed that dynamics, attack, release and melodic and harmonic tension would be sufficient to convey the message. History is replete with older generations decrying the younger generation's "noise" - the increased emphasis on rhythm and noise and reduced melodic and harmonic sophisticated.

Artistic movements obviously reflect the times. The classical period was marked by colonialism. The Europeans were disturbed by what they perceived as animal-like characteristics of indigenous people and they tried to draw a line between themselves and the native people of the lands they invaded. They believed man to be divine, and the "airy fairy" and ethereal nature of the music reflected a lack of groundedness, a groundedness that it seems successive generations have been trying to recapture for centuries. The colonialists should have listened to the indigenes when they spoke of the human relationship with the environment. We've been paying the price for our ancestors' lack of curiosity and humility ever since.

Today I find myself to be just another elderly tut-tutter, disappointed at the weak melodies and harmonies and the lack of dynamics in a lot of modern music. Music and visual art appear to be gradually disappearing in their own right, instead becoming just a background for everyday life and stories. We live in a hyper-competitive "busy brain" time and fewer people have the patience to just listen to music in its own right without it supporting another activity. Rather than dying, visceral art seems to be being subsumed by narrative art. Material reality is being converted to information. Cultural entropy?

An example, opera was largely about the music with weak narratives that created a spectacle and supported the piece. Compare with video clips from rap or old school punk artists, which are tend to be entirely about the story, with the music a slapdash placeholder. The music is often deliberately with little skill or creativity, equating accomplishment with showing off; anti-art.

You raise an important point about the rhythmic basis to existence - human heartbeats 60-100bpm, breathing 12-20bpm, blood circulation 1bpm, a lifespan 60-90yrs, Earth rotation 24hrs and orbit 365.25 days etc. It would seem that this flight to rhythm and narrative is a flight to groundedness - back from the angels and cherubs of the romantic era to the sweat and grime of the primal body.

Harb ... er, Alec (I still miss Alfred E) no doubt it was a quality gig. Tal is a prodigy. The legendary Vinnie Coliauta would have been on drums, I expect - and there was probably some poor downtrodden shmuck of keyboardist hidden in the shadows who nobody cares about, and whose job is to support the virtuoso trio:)
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream