Is art and music dying?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Cogito ergo sum
Favorite Philosopher: Karl Popper

Is art and music dying?

Post by Cogito ergo sum »

Do you think that art and music is a way to express things that science and philosophy have not yet expressed and that the more we understand the less relevant art and music will become? Or do you think art and music are separate and will always be around as a form of human expression? Thank you and I am very interested in hearing your responses.
Present awareness

Re: Is art and music dying?

Post by Present awareness »

Cogito ergo sum wrote:Do you think that art and music is a way to express things that science and philosophy have not yet expressed and that the more we understand the less relevant art and music will become? Or do you think art and music are separate and will always be around as a form of human expression? Thank you and I am very interested in hearing your responses.
You are talking about three separate forms of communication. Science and philosophy communicate thru words and ideas. Music communicates thru sound vibrations, tones and rhythm, whereas art communicates thru visual expression.

As long as humans experience emotions, music and art will always have a place in our culture. If however, humans become completely logical, (Mr. Spock on Star Trek), then perhaps music and art will gradually die out.
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
Artimas
Favorite Philosopher: Plato

Post by Artimas »

Influence is partial to what all derive from.

Language being a huge influence, as well as color. Knowledge and influence is what the world/reality derive from, you learn this, and you will have power, you will have answers.
"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Cogito ergo sum wrote:Do you think that art and music is a way to express things that science and philosophy have not yet expressed and that the more we understand the less relevant art and music will become?
What is knowledge except a re-creation, the discovery of what makes the world tick. It is not his creation and does not specifically denote man as much as it denotes intelligence regardless of what planet it exists on.

Art on the other hand is a unique creation indigenous to the beings which create it and encompasses everything from cities to symphonies. Even philosophy falls within its orbit.
Didge
New Trial Member

Post by Didge »

Cogito ergo sum wrote:Do you think that art and music is a way to express things that science and philosophy have not yet expressed and that the more we understand the less relevant art and music will become? Or do you think art and music are separate and will always be around as a form of human expression? Thank you and I am very interested in hearing your responses.
the best thing about art is the preparation, the thinking ahead, thinking and rethinking of the work, and the actual creative process. With relish alone enjoying. You can bring to expression your philosophy, sell through music contenders as you play, you can also paint, knit, create sculptures, garden design, architecture, in particular, what do you think of an activity during your philosophy. Of course we can also keep idle for us our thoughts. The more we have already done, the less we need to do.
Skillz
Favorite Philosopher: Tristan Tzara

Post by Skillz »

The logical outcome of science is a world devoid of mystery, but music and art, like dance, would still have a social function.
Mirosurabu
Favorite Philosopher: Nietzsche

Post by Mirosurabu »

Why separate music from art? Music is an artform too.

I also fail to understand this topic. The logical outcome of understanding/knowledge/power (I want to emphasize: not only of science) is the complete annihilation of the universe (since the goal is to either understand the universe in its entirety or to become the universe itself.) Good thing: we will never reach this outcome. We can only come close to it.
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

Mirosurabu wrote:Why separate music from art? Music is an artform too.

I also fail to understand this topic. The logical outcome of understanding/knowledge/power (I want to emphasize: not only of science) is the complete annihilation of the universe (since the goal is to either understand the universe in its entirety or to become the universe itself.) Good thing: we will never reach this outcome. We can only come close to it.
Agreed that music would be an unnecessary distinction from art in general. Would art still be useful as a means of conveying mystery or revealing mysteries? Doesn't seem like it. The degree of knowledge or power you describe is an unethical one.
Logic_ill

Post by Logic_ill »

I believe the arts will be there for us for many more years to come. I cannot imagine the sciences replacing it. The reason is that as soon as we are born or come into existence, a story begins to unfold for us. We have relationships and interact with people and our environment. The arts, depending on the artists, will try to convey these experiences through different mediums. Our experiences are in some way retold or related in our arts, and there may be no way around it but to identify or be entertained by such messages.

Not only that, modern life is permeated by the arts. I mean we are constantly being bombarded by different forms: films, ads, music, graphic arts, dance, etc. Even if we don't personally choose to be exposed to some form of art, we will be, because the people around us will have chosen it. Very few of us can go through life without having heard a song, or seen someone dancing, singing, playing and instrument, having seen a movie, a tv show, a book, read read or seem something artistic on the Internet, etc.

In that being a reality for almost everyone, they will inextricably link many of their own experiences with the arts, whether it is because they are a part of their memories or experiences and emotions are attached to them, or because they convey messages that appeal to them and they learn from, or because they create works of art themselves...

Our own lives, whether view it that way or not, (I do) are works of art. They are stories and we are the characters in them...:)

Art and music might die when we become extinct...

Note> The other day I was at a bar and saw a two year old girl dancing along to a music video she was watching. She had such rhythm and coordination that it almost seemed that she was born to do so...
Mer-monk

Post by Mer-monk »

Hi: Cogito ergo sum

I think that music is an art, it is not separable from art. Music is a mode of expression, which I would argue it bears a primordial role as the necessary/normal precursor of language. The child dolts on the rhythm of the mother's voice, its soothing melody encompassing her pleasure and the starkness of her admonishments, states of the soul communicated long before meaning.

Philosophy is about wisdom and science, it is about what is and how it is. These are different ways to talk about the same thing....as art, as a scientific object or as an ontological being. Each view adds to the existential totality of the object.

The more we understand about art, science or or philosophy, the more sensitive we are to the many nuances of a work of art and of any thing else. Emotively, the more we know, the more difficult it is to arouse our affective nature. We are jaded by our experience. But,in another sense, the more we know the more likely we are to see past the prima facie sensuality of the object of art to the core of what was consciously or unconsciously intended, what makes art--art.
0laded
New Trial Member

Post by 0laded »

Present awareness wrote:As long as humans experience emotions, music and art will always have a place in our culture. If however, humans become completely logical, (Mr. Spock on Star Trek), then perhaps music and art will gradually die out.
I don't want to disrespect Mr Spock, but I don't think art is more emotion than it's perception (and its representation, and the perception of said representation, and so on).

And I ask, isn't Mr Spock logical yet partial, even if he holds all knowledge, for he is a particular recipient?

Whenever perception and mathematic formulae exist, music and art will live.

If only I could hear some quantum music...
Cogito ergo sum
Favorite Philosopher: Karl Popper

Post by Cogito ergo sum »

Mer-monk wrote:Hi: Cogito ergo sum

I think that music is an art, it is not separable from art. Music is a mode of expression, which I would argue it bears a primordial role as the necessary/normal precursor of language. The child dolts on the rhythm of the mother's voice, its soothing melody encompassing her pleasure and the starkness of her admonishments, states of the soul communicated long before meaning.

Philosophy is about wisdom and science, it is about what is and how it is. These are different ways to talk about the same thing....as art, as a scientific object or as an ontological being. Each view adds to the existential totality of the object.

The more we understand about art, science or or philosophy, the more sensitive we are to the many nuances of a work of art and of any thing else. Emotively, the more we know, the more difficult it is to arouse our affective nature. We are jaded by our experience. But,in another sense, the more we know the more likely we are to see past the prima facie sensuality of the object of art to the core of what was consciously or unconsciously intended, what makes art--art.

The point is not to determine the difference between art and music. From here on, I will agree that art is music and vise versa. The reason why I asked this question is not to determine the difference between the forms of art, but what the purpose of art is. Do we enjoy art because it is pleasing to see and relate or make a connection to something? or is it a way to consolidate our emotions and feel them in the right place at the right time and in the right amount? It seems to me that the greater your understanding is the less relevant art is. It seems that the purpose of philosophical thought is to learn and understand the connections between two or more seemingly different objects and or forms and then translate that into your daily life. So from that point if through philosophical thought you can control emotions and feel them at the right place at the right time and in the right amount, then what would be the purpose of art? And when I say philosophical thought I mean that from a Socratic/Aristotelian view on philosophy, where it was a way to achieve enlightenment and a way to live your daily life.
Theophane
Favorite Philosopher: C.S. Lewis

Post by Theophane »

Skillz wrote:The logical outcome of science is a world devoid of mystery, but music and art, like dance, would still have a social function.
As humans become more machine-like, creativity and emotions are becoming more attenuated. A world devoid of mystery does seem to be the goal of science. But why would science arrange for its own death?
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

Theophane wrote:
Skillz wrote:The logical outcome of science is a world devoid of mystery, but music and art, like dance, would still have a social function.
As humans become more machine-like, creativity and emotions are becoming more attenuated. A world devoid of mystery does seem to be the goal of science. But why would science arrange for its own death?

One does not need mystery to create. A creator does only what she has to do. Science is an indifferent non-mysterious method. And when that method is exhausted it becomes obsolete.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

Cogito ergo sum:

It seems to me that the greater your understanding is the less relevant art is. It seems that the purpose of philosophical thought is to learn and understand the connections between two or more seemingly different objects and or forms and then translate that into your daily life. So from that point if through philosophical thought you can control emotions and feel them at the right place at the right time and in the right amount, then what would be the purpose of art? And when I say philosophical thought I mean that from a Socratic/Aristotelian view on philosophy, where it was a way to achieve enlightenment and a way to live your daily life.
Why would you think art is simply a balance of emotions? 'Balance' possesses nothing of art in itself. Even if you were John Dewey, who thought getting your taxes in order was intrinsically aesthetic, you would not think art is exhausted by this. The aesthetic is the pleasing feeling that attends doing your taxes well. Artists are those who pursue this feeling for itself; they put themselves into problem solving interface with a physical medium, and art is "wrought out" of the experience. A concentrated form of what is part and parcel of meaningful experiences all the time. That's Dewey.

But simply put: When you're jamm'em to the tunes, your not just, well, keeping your affairs in order, and Van Gogh didn't paint to control his emotions. Artists pursue aesthetic rapture.

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream