Spoon sex?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Philosch

Re: Spoon sex?

Post by Philosch »

Well PaulNZ, I couldn't resist the temptation to jump in here. I have spoon preferences too and can understand what you are getting at. However in my own case, I prefer different types of spoons for different jobs, my preference is strictly utilitarian. Wide, deep spoons for soup or longer and pointier to get inside the yogurt cup etc.

That doesn't mean that you might not be drawn to a shape due to subliminal consciousness. It's long been known that men are drawn to cleavage on a woman, not for the obvious reason but for the fact that the cleavage subliminally reminds a man of the shape of a woman's backside. Now you might get a fair amount of men arguing that they in fact really like women's breasts but they are not recognizing the subliminal message. Grown men are not typically interesting in breast feeding, that's silly. I suppose some may have not breast fed properly and so have a need there. But for most men, they believe that their taste is primarily consciously controlled, which is not always the case at least according to the research. You can only control consciously, what you are aware of consciously. And most men are drawn to the curvy pressed together shape of breasts because they are subconsciously acting on reproductive instinct and the shape is like that of a women's butt.

Now that's a study I wouldn't mind volunteering for!
Venice

Post by Venice »

I have spoon preferences too, and fork preferences, although strangely enough I am happy to use any knife. I always assumed it was down to aesthetics and how they fit in my mouth. I'm not aware of any underlying sexual issues, although I'm not sure any of us can claim that 100%. You don't say whether this is because of how they look or how they feel, in your hand or in your mouth. It could be related to Freud's theory about children who are unfulfilled in the oral stage so have oral fixations later in life. It's interesting what Philosch says about men appreciating women's breasts etc but I am a woman and still drawn to curvy shapes, yet this is not an evolutionary issue. I have to admit that I winced slightly on reading the title of this thread but am relieved to find that I'm not alone in my spoon issues.
Obvious Leo
Favorite Philosopher: Omar Khayyam

Post by Obvious Leo »

It's possible that Kiwis are generally weaned too early and for this reason they are vulnerable to sexual fetishes in later life, such as spoons, sheep, etc. Try a bit of cognitive behaviour therapy, Paul, and everything should be sweet as, bro.

Regards Leo
PaulNZ
Favorite Philosopher: Marcus Aurelius

Post by PaulNZ »

I'm about to start another Stoic Week with Stoicism Today (Exeter University, Donald Robertson, Paddy Usher and others) which of course CBT was strongly influence by. It may as you say help me with my spoon attraction. If you're keen, it's not too late to sign up for the week:

http://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/stoicismtoday/

Cheers

Paul
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

PaulNZ wrote:I find certain forms pleasing over others. I don't try to, I'm not even sure it is conscious, in fact I think it is quite the opposite. I have only noticed when I caught myself washing a particular spoon of a particular shape rather than use one of many other different shaped spoons in the drawer.
There's the golden section or golden rectangle thing that the Greeks used as a master most-pleasing proportion. I don't know if it's universal, probably not, but I'll bet that your spoon can be analyzed on the basis of it, ratio of length to width of the bowl, relative position of the center of the bowl.

Your spoonshape sensitivity is a gift. You should pursue it some way, maybe take up sculpture. Not everyone is responding so strongly to the shape of an object. Look up Constantin Brancusi, he had it pretty bad, too, I think.

Why do we prefer some objects to others? It can probably be traced it back to mating. Can't everything be traced back to mating?
fair to say
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

PaulNZ wrote:This has puzzled me for a while and I was hoping to hear one or two opinions from outside my own head in order that I might park it up for a while.

I like my spoon, quite a lot. I like other spoons like it, a particular fork, some knives over other knives and particular shaped bowls. We have a selection in our kitchen of a variety of each because we lose things and break the occasional piece of crockery. I find certain forms pleasing over others. I don't try to, I'm not even sure it is conscious, in fact I think it is quite the opposite. I have only noticed when I caught myself washing a particular spoon of a particular shape rather than use one of many other different shaped spoons in the drawer.

Why?

I have decided I am unconsciously attracted to some ratios of proportion or forms over others and find the use of them pleasing or comforting in some way (there is a reward for my brain of some sort but I'm not sure quite what!)

My thinking at this time is that it is related to finding a mate and evolution has built this into my crocodile brain to somehow be attracted to certain proportions, ratios or forms for that purpose.

I then wondered if our appreciation of art and reason for finding art pleasing, when it relates to proportions, ratios or forms is simply an evolutionary extension of our need to reproduce?

Any thoughts?
Your spoon preference could possibly be related to memory of the utensil your caregiver used to feed you with. If it was pleasant your choice now may be what was used, if it was unpleasant then you found one that was pleasant when it was feasible as your own choice. I think this is relative to why humans develop likes and dislikes of all things, sorting out what is personally pleasing over what ones experience was, when it was objective over subjective power.
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
PaulNZ

Post by PaulNZ »

Golden ratio or association with a caregivers choice of spoon from childhood. Interesting. The brain looks for patterns and in doing so is constantly comparing data against other data unconsciously, so there may be merit in the myth of the golden ratio and what our parents preferences are, certainly have influence over our own preferences. Thanks for your comments 3uGH7D4MLj and Misty.
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

PaulNZ wrote:Golden ratio or association with a caregivers choice of spoon from childhood. Interesting. The brain looks for patterns and in doing so is constantly comparing data against other data unconsciously, so there may be merit in the myth of the golden ratio and what our parents preferences are, certainly have influence over our own preferences. Thanks for your comments 3uGH7D4MLj and Misty.
I have a favorite wineglass that is the last survivor of a very nicely proportioned set of six. It's my favorite, the shape has a certain rightness for me and that's the one I always grab. It's not fancy or decorated or expensive, it's the shape that's doing it for me. There is definitely pleasure involved in handling it, seeing it. None of our other wineglasses quite come up to it.
fair to say
PaulNZ

Post by PaulNZ »

3uGH7D4MLj wrote:
PaulNZ wrote:Golden ratio or association with a caregivers choice of spoon from childhood. Interesting. The brain looks for patterns and in doing so is constantly comparing data against other data unconsciously, so there may be merit in the myth of the golden ratio and what our parents preferences are, certainly have influence over our own preferences. Thanks for your comments 3uGH7D4MLj and Misty.
I have a favorite wineglass that is the last survivor of a very nicely proportioned set of six. It's my favorite, the shape has a certain rightness for me and that's the one I always grab. It's not fancy or decorated or expensive, it's the shape that's doing it for me. There is definitely pleasure involved in handling it, seeing it. None of our other wineglasses quite come up to it.
That sounds pretty similar to my spoon attraction, which of course isn't limited to spoons. Maybe there is something in the golden ratio in that we find it pleasing because it reflects many things in nature, something many of us revere. Has the ratio been applied to the curves of the human body?
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

I think that the Golden proportion is drawn from the human body to some degree. It's a good thing to know if you are designing anything.

Follow the fun. If a form brings pleasure, enjoy it.
fair to say
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Cogito ergo sum wrote:Aristotle went over this and came to a conclusion that certain types of objects because of there proportion cannot be beautiful or pleasing. So for example a very large or very small object cannot be beautiful. And from what I have understood from my interpretation of Kants views of what the difference is between the beautiful and the sublime would be exactly that. Nature cannot be beautiful in observing it. It is to vast it is mathematically large and mighty. So when you are in nature you cannot comprehend the size and might of nature so you become fearful not nessesarily afraid but fearful of its might. Now when reflecting on what you have seen which in that moment of observing you might misjudge it and claim that it was or is beautiful. That is not the case it is sublime only in the sense that when you go into your own mental faculties thinking about what you have observed you turn back in on yourself and shrink the might and size of nature and your limitless mind overcomes the fearfulness you had while observing. You then and only then can find it beautiful because you have given it a proportion that can be beautiful. But to go back to your spoon and your topic I would imagine that yes we would find certain proportions pleasing and good when finding a mate. What would happen if a man was and only was attracted and found a female form pleasing and beautiful if she was a thousand feet tall? It would be counter productive I assume.
Wow I have to say. Ridiculous. I know lots of people who would pay good money for that. For realsies. And tiny spoons are petite in my opinion. Are you familiar with the word petite?

Also, are you aware of the concept of relativity, and scale? Because, if you zoom in, things sudden appear large. Therefore your statement is quite false indeed. Ridiculously false, actually.
Cogito ergo sum
Favorite Philosopher: Karl Popper

Post by Cogito ergo sum »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Cogito ergo sum wrote:Aristotle went over this and came to a conclusion that certain types of objects because of there proportion cannot be beautiful or pleasing. So for example a very large or very small object cannot be beautiful. And from what I have understood from my interpretation of Kants views of what the difference is between the beautiful and the sublime would be exactly that. Nature cannot be beautiful in observing it. It is to vast it is mathematically large and mighty. So when you are in nature you cannot comprehend the size and might of nature so you become fearful not nessesarily afraid but fearful of its might. Now when reflecting on what you have seen which in that moment of observing you might misjudge it and claim that it was or is beautiful. That is not the case it is sublime only in the sense that when you go into your own mental faculties thinking about what you have observed you turn back in on yourself and shrink the might and size of nature and your limitless mind overcomes the fearfulness you had while observing. You then and only then can find it beautiful because you have given it a proportion that can be beautiful. But to go back to your spoon and your topic I would imagine that yes we would find certain proportions pleasing and good when finding a mate. What would happen if a man was and only was attracted and found a female form pleasing and beautiful if she was a thousand feet tall? It would be counter productive I assume.
Wow I have to say. Ridiculous. I know lots of people who would pay good money for that. For realsies. And tiny spoons are petite in my opinion. Are you familiar with the word petite?

Also, are you aware of the concept of relativity, and scale? Because, if you zoom in, things sudden appear large. Therefore your statement is quite false indeed. Ridiculously false, actually.
Thank you for showing that you have never read Aristotle or Kant. I'm sure people would pay good money for that, for "realsies", otherwise people wouldn't have bought and read any of Kant's or Aristotle's works. This post has nothing to do with relativity, it is about an individual humans perception of objects they are perceiving.
Val Valiant Five
Favorite Philosopher: Margaret Moth

Post by Val Valiant Five »

Objectum Sexuals, I know that's not the real direction this thread is about, but I feel it would be remiss not to mention the condition here. There's two documentaries I know of on the subject of OS: "Married to the Eiffel Tower" and "My Car Is My Lover". Both are terribly interesting in my opinion. Oh, and thank you for this post, it's a unique read into the human condition and what makes us - us.
Humanity has been galvanized by the internet. Its' a virtual, neural web of collective consciousness. And in this social-electric state, we all have a say; From the darkest corners of thought to the most enlightened. It's a mirror of all our minds.

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream