TV & music recording styles indicate the era

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Polysemicnick

TV & music recording styles indicate the era

Post by Polysemicnick » January 17th, 2015, 2:02 pm

TV & music recording styles indicate the era.

I hope i can convey this thought. When we watch a tv program or listen to a piece of music , We can more often than not, give a pretty accurate date that the music or program was recorded. This is achieved by Either colour ( camera techniques )or acoustics ( recording equipment,instruments etcetc)and not by words or the actual content ( although the content is a prop for these colours variations over time*). It seems to me that our sense of history is tied up with and triggered By music and tv. Are we experiencing history in a completely different way than Someone 300 years ago would have. Thanks

* not sure what these colour / camera styles are really called.

Venice

Re: TV & music recording styles indicate the era

Post by Venice » January 23rd, 2015, 6:09 am

I think you can look at TV programs from the 70s and 80s and know that they are from that era. People often think about the 1930s for example, and think of it in black and white. Our current western culture has more access to history in the form of art, music, film etc and with the advent of the internet this will be the last generation who has such a limited view of history. I think that someone 300 years ago would not really have had much of a sense of history on the scale that we do today. Communication was very limited, news took a long time to spread.