Personal art appreciation

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Spraticus

Re: Personal art appreciation

Post by Spraticus »

Lark_Truth wrote:What I am asking here is what you guys believe makes art worthwhile. What do you think makes art good? Is it the shading techniques, the pattern or free-form, color, realistic-looking objects, etc.?

We all see the world differently, especially the artists themselves. People appreciate art in different ways and I would like to hear your opinions.

I'm guessing you mean visual art because of the examples you give of properties of works. The answer is all of these and none of these. An aspect such as shading might be a significant part of what elicits an aesthetic response but I can't imagine it ever being enough on its own. Appreciation of the technical aspects of a work is fairly esoteric and requires an advanced art education. You need to know a lot about what has been done, and what can be done, to be able to make a judgment. A response based on total ignorance is still valid, in the sense that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but won't stand up to much examination or comparison with the responses of others.

Some of your suggestion would be very category specific; realistic looking objects don't have much relevance to a Jackson Pollock. Indeed realistic objects are one of the most misleading things in art. Most people can recognise the objects in a renaissance painting but very few understand the symbolism involved. If you look at the Titian painting of " Danae", you will see recognisable human figures, but without knowledge of ancient mythology and its significance in renaissance Italy, you will struggle to really appreciate what the work is about and how well it achieves its objectives. It also helps to know how Titian fits into the history of art in terms of his techique and iconography.

What I'm trying to say here is that art is about ideas as well as skills. Some beautifully made pencil marks are pretty boring just on their own.
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

A Poster He or I wrote: April 11th, 2017, 1:25 pm My opinion about what makes a piece of art good has come around 180 degrees from what I believed when I was young. Back then I believed one could specify objective criteria for assigning a value of good or bad to a given artwork. Today, I believe the appreciation of art is 100% subjective. I even believe that the attempt to define "objective" criteria for the appreciation of art is to completely misunderstand what art is.
I agree. My ideas about art have changed as well. When people would talk about communicating, I would think, if you want to communicate write a letter! But now I realize that the communication in art occurs within the sensory domain of our shared humanity.

Another thing that helped me was realizing (John Dewey) that the experience of art is a nonverbal encounter, so I should stop trying to put things into words and develop sensitivity toward other kinds of sensations, responses.
fair to say
Spraticus

Post by Spraticus »

3uGH7D4MLj wrote: December 20th, 2017, 5:52 am
A Poster He or I wrote: April 11th, 2017, 1:25 pm My opinion about what makes a piece of art good has come around 180 degrees from what I believed when I was young. Back then I believed one could specify objective criteria for assigning a value of good or bad to a given artwork. Today, I believe the appreciation of art is 100% subjective. I even believe that the attempt to define "objective" criteria for the appreciation of art is to completely misunderstand what art is.
I agree. My ideas about art have changed as well. When people would talk about communicating, I would think, if you want to communicate write a letter! But now I realize that the communication in art occurs within the sensory domain of our shared humanity.

Another thing that helped me was realizing (John Dewey) that the experience of art is a nonverbal encounter, so I should stop trying to put things into words and develop sensitivity toward other kinds of sensations, responses.
One of my many objections to recent "conceptual" art is that it often relies completely on the artist's statement that goes with it, or in some cases, that completely replaces the work. I have seen shows where all there is to see is a wall with a lot of hand written material. It looks a bit like a school classroom.
It isn't visual art; it's low grade reporting.
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

Artist statements can be pretty annoying, even worse if the museum provides interpretive notes.

But you went to a show with hand written material? A human hand? It took you back to your school days? Sounds pretty good to me.
fair to say
Spraticus

Post by Spraticus »

It didn't take me back to my school days, though there was a resemblance to that. The written content was tedious, badly written and expressed nothing visual. (nothing much at all.) I know writing is visual but somebody could have read it out to me with the same lack of affect and effect.
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

Spraticus wrote: December 21st, 2017, 6:05 pm It didn't take me back to my school days, though there was a resemblance to that. The written content was tedious, badly written and expressed nothing visual. (nothing much at all.) I know writing is visual but somebody could have read it out to me with the same lack of affect and effect.
Of course everyone is free to like or dislike anything they want. I was just kidding.

Back to the topic -- what I personally look for in art is a kind of poetry. Could be strong and elegant like Lucian Freud or fragile and ambiguous like Richard Tuttle. I mean poetry in a larger general sense. A word in a poem carries an aura of meaning that pops in your head -- an image or graphic, a shape, a line in an art piece, does the same thing. Crushing like Anselm Kiefer or tragic/hilarious like the Dadaists.

I just discovered an artist in Seattle, Whiting Tennis, seems to be down my alley -- and William Kentridge, phenomenal.
fair to say

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream