Greeks' Techne and our sense of Technology

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Mesbah
New Trial Member

Greeks' Techne and our sense of Technology

Post by Mesbah »

Hi
For a specific research, I've been tracking the concept of Techne in Ancient Greek. There are already two good books on this topic, by Angier and Roochnik; (these works concentrate mainly on the virtue-techne question)

However what I'm looking for is how Greek techne is related to our sense of technology in its modern sense? What are the similarities and differences?

There must be different interpretations, for example, Heidegger says a major difference between Greek techne with our technology is that Greek techne would help physis (nature, or even cosmos, universe at large) to reveal itself to human, while modern technology conceals the universe away from human. You might disagree, as I do, It's just an example, there are other ways to see this relation.

Anyone's creative ideas or related sources are much appreciated.
Fooloso4

Re: Greeks' Techne and our sense of Technology

Post by Fooloso4 »

An interesting topic. I hope you will have more to say as your work progresses. I cannot be of much help. You have already referenced David Roochnik and I assume he has referenced his teacher Stanley Rosen and Rosen’s teacher Leo Strauss, so you are in good hands with regard to the ancients. If you have not read it Rosen’s “Techne and the Origins of Modernity” in the anthology Technology in the Western Political Tradition might be of interest, as might other papers in the anthology (although I have not read any of them).
Mesbah
New Trial Member

Post by Mesbah »

Fooloso4 wrote:An interesting topic. I hope you will have more to say as your work progresses. I cannot be of much help. You have already referenced David Roochnik and I assume he has referenced his teacher Stanley Rosen and Rosen’s teacher Leo Strauss, so you are in good hands with regard to the ancients. If you have not read it Rosen’s “Techne and the Origins of Modernity” in the anthology Technology in the Western Political Tradition might be of interest, as might other papers in the anthology (although I have not read any of them).

Tanks for your reply and suggested sources, I didn't know the teachers' line of Roochnik, That's interesting.
I also saw your PM to me, I tried so hard to reply it there, but I couldn't find how!
anyway, this started from a personal interest, then I decided to place it within a larger project that I have for my Ph.D thesis. That is a comparative study between Greek Techne and Islamic Sina'a (craftsmanship). That project is more of a comparison between the same concept in two worlds and ideologies until a fixed historical point (before modern time) than a then-and-now comparison.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

I also saw your PM to me, I tried so hard to reply it there, but I couldn't find how!
Sorry, my fault. I forgot the trial members cannot send PMs.
Islamic Sina'a (craftsmanship).
I am aware of the influence of Plato and Aristotle on Islamic and Persian thinkers and vaguely remember reading about how Plato was generally ignored in medieval Western thought to be recovered through an interest in Arabic mathematics.

Is it craftsmanship (productive arts) or more more broadly things like medicine, politics, mathematics, writing, and dialectic that you are looking at?
Mesbah
New Trial Member

Post by Mesbah »

It's craftsmanship in its broadest sense, including philosophy itself, Muslim thinkers refer to their discussions as a kind of Sina'a (craft).
One question might be why this concept, techne, became so broad, even in ancient Greek, it wasn't as broad when first made its way to the literature.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

One thing that just occurred to me is how techne relates to poiesis, that is, the making of images. Is poiesis a techne?
-1-

Post by -1- »

I just happened to leaf through some papers in my by now defunct grandfather's private office, and found that motosysos is a techne that employs kissing a tree bark in the Othnacean culture when the three-day long festival of the rite of deflowering a young apple-tree is underway. The festival itself is called Ptomploeamykretia. This fiesta is well known to have a ban on going to the washroom for the entire duration of the festivities.

Is kissing inhuman objects a part of the Techne you are studying o Opening Poster?
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Mesbah
New Trial Member

Post by Mesbah »

Fooloso4 wrote:One thing that just occurred to me is how techne relates to poiesis, that is, the making of images. Is poiesis a techne?
Yes they are related, but the extent of this relation remains unclear. Although both have to do with "production" they differ in some aspects like:
1- Poiesis is general production, all sorts of production, including poetry and literature, but techne is a production in which the agent is capable of giving a rational account of the process (poetry is an irrational practice in ancient Greece, it's the inspiration of Muses, not based on reason.)
2-Poiesis has its end in itself while techne always or almost always aims at something out of itself.
Mesbah
New Trial Member

Post by Mesbah »

-1- wrote:I just happened to leaf through some papers in my by now defunct grandfather's private office, and found that motosysos is a techne that employs kissing a tree bark in the Othnacean culture when the three-day long festival of the rite of deflowering a young apple-tree is underway. The festival itself is called Ptomploeamykretia. This fiesta is well known to have a ban on going to the washroom for the entire duration of the festivities.

Is kissing inhuman objects a part of the Techne you are studying o Opening Poster?
Ummm, it's weird. Not the story and festival you reported (since there are more weird festivals and rituals out there) , but how this story can be related to the ancient Greek understanding of techne, so far I haven't come up with anything similar to that.
I think it's just a use of the word "techne" in the meaning "art" or "skill" in that piece of writhing, nothing more; I'm not sure.
Tnx for contribution anyway.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Mesbah:
Poiesis is general production, all sorts of production, including poetry and literature, but techne is a production in which the agent is capable of giving a rational account of the process (poetry is an irrational practice in ancient Greece, it's the inspiration of Muses, not based on reason.)
Good point. This is of course Plato’s criticism of the poets but as with all things in Plato I don’t think that can be taken at face value alone. As with the distinction between the philosopher and the sophist and the philosopher and the statesman a careful reading of the dialogues shows those distinctions are not so clear cut. The poets exhibit a great deal of technical skill and their insights into men and human life are not unreasonable. I do not know if Roochnik gets into it but Rosen, Benardete, and others make a strong case for Plato’s own philosophical poetry in the Republic, Symposium, and elsewhere. Benardete gives what is described as a philosophic reading of the poets and a poetic reading of the philosophers.

If all this is a distraction from your focus feel free to ignore it.

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream