Nietzsche's positive evaluation of illusion

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Caldegold
New Trial Member

Nietzsche's positive evaluation of illusion

Post by Caldegold » November 23rd, 2017, 9:22 am

Hello! I want to write my bachelor thesis about Nietsche's positive evaluation of illusion from an aesthetic point of view and have to present it in July 2018. I don't have a general plan for my thesis and the first step is to reread the works of Nietzsche and to take notes on the matter. In the meantime, I would like us to discuss Nietzsche's aesthetics, the prevalence of art over science, his refutation of the slogan "l'art pour l'art" and his emphasis on the discriminatory character of the artist et cetera.

SimpleGuy

Re: Nietzsche's positive evaluation of illusion

Post by SimpleGuy » November 24th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Why don't you start with something unusual like the dawn of idols or in german (Götzen-Dämmerung) and then look at beyond good and evil and then go to the will for power (in german : Der Wille zur Macht ). Analyze them from the standpoint of ethics and religion and then search for the illusions denounced and some idolized to prepare your thesis.

Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: Nietzsche's positive evaluation of illusion

Post by Hereandnow » December 12th, 2017, 4:55 pm

I wrote years ago a paper on The Birth of Tragedy as it applied to Harold Pinter's A Kind of Alaska. Nietzsche presents a Dionysian perspective in the struggle Deborah, the once comatose and recently awakened protagonist, experienced. On the one hand there was Hornby, the physician who was the Apollonian light of reason who in discourse insisted on the structures of reality, that is, the common sense world of assumptions about what is ordered in time, sequentially, and where things are rigorously organized relative to Deborah's threshold world; on the other there was this threshold world: lacking temporal and logical constraints, undisciplined and chaotic. This latter was Nietzsche's. See The Birth of Tragedy. It is an early work, but it does possess what is essential: the repudiation of rationalism