Is Art Beautiful?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
TigerNinja

Is Art Beautiful?

Post by TigerNinja »

Art is often conceived of as being beautiful. A mesh of vibrant, tones and colours splashed onto a canvas in such a way that it becomes appealing to our senses. They always have a form of beauty, be it the ideological concept they are trying to give you, or the social commentary as in Grayson Perry's pieces, or simply the symbolism behind them. But despite saying that, does art necessarily have to be beautiful? Tell me your opinions below!
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: Is Art Beautiful?

Post by Hereandnow »

You would have to explain how it is that much in the art world is not art because it is not beautiful. Insisting on beauty as an essential requirement is impossible, unless you are willing to declare much that is called art, not art. I went to an exhibit where there were naked ceramic bodies hanging from a ceiling. They were charred and abused and not remotely beautiful. Was it an experience of art that was elicited? Was it an aesthetic of line, color texture? Or, was it outside the of aesthetic responses? The experience was one of revulsion, suggestive of some savaging event, horrible to behold. Munchs Scream is like this. A lot of Dada is just ugly. Are these aesthetic emotions? I think the answer to this depends on what you think an aesthetic emotion is.
I think an object becomes art when we look at it AS art. Simple as that. Ask me if my cup is a work of art and my attention at once goes to its form, color, texture, and so on. Not it's art,but its is not when I am using it as a cup. My attention makes it art, literally. So, it then goes to whether my experiences regarding the cup taken AS art are indeed art experiences, does it not? Then, your question would take the matter to experiences: some are aesthetic, some not. Which is which? Clearly, the taking up of an object AS art is what is at issue, for when it is taken up thusly, what happens in experience that makes my taking it up, taking it up AS art? What have I done within?

This is where I think your question goes. The hard part is making the concept of art sufficiently exclusive of what is not art. Taking someting AS art is the beginning, but then, how does this work?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

TigerNinja wrote: February 28th, 2018, 5:43 pm Art is often conceived of as being beautiful. A mesh of vibrant, tones and colours splashed onto a canvas in such a way that it becomes appealing to our senses. They always have a form of beauty, be it the ideological concept they are trying to give you, or the social commentary as in Grayson Perry's pieces, or simply the symbolism behind them. But despite saying that, does art necessarily have to be beautiful? Tell me your opinions below!
Art clearly doesn't have to be beautiful, just as music can be dissonant and literature can be horrific. Beauty is merely a genre.
"As usual... it depends."
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

Is man beautiful? Are all men beautiful? Are there degrees of beauty? What is art anyway :)

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

LuckyR wrote: March 8th, 2018, 1:31 am
TigerNinja wrote: February 28th, 2018, 5:43 pm Art is often conceived of as being beautiful. A mesh of vibrant, tones and colours splashed onto a canvas in such a way that it becomes appealing to our senses. They always have a form of beauty, be it the ideological concept they are trying to give you, or the social commentary as in Grayson Perry's pieces, or simply the symbolism behind them. But despite saying that, does art necessarily have to be beautiful? Tell me your opinions below!
Art clearly doesn't have to be beautiful, just as music can be dissonant and literature can be horrific. Beauty is merely a genre.
I agree. "Does art necessarily have to be beautiful?" Absolutely not, just my opinion.

Beauty usually means means accessible, pretty, or harmonious, sweet.

The work of Joseph Beuys or Anselm Kiefer, Cy Twombly, Richard Serra, most of Picasso, Willem de Kooning, ain't beautiful at all.

In my own head, there is a poetic elegance that I look for in art. It could be called a kind of beauty, but that's my personal take on the word.
fair to say
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

LuckyR wrote: March 8th, 2018, 1:31 am
I agree. "Does art necessarily have to be beautiful?" Well, no, just my opinion.

Beauty usually means means accessible, pretty, or harmonious, sweet.
fair to say
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

It might be instructive to turn the question around. Is anything beautiful therefore art? Since art embodies an element of human intent this would seem not so. But many things accepted as beautiful such as flowers and birds and sunsets or vistas of unusual terrain have no human intent. They were produced out of necessity to fulfill a function and out of the natural requirement that that purpose required ultimate economies of structure and other basics with no human perspective of human attitudes towards beauty involved. Without a human observer beauty does not exist. Therefore, beauty requires human judgment and it is that human judgment which determines beauty and thereby involves human intent and participation. Much disagreement on the matter of beauty involves the differences that individuals have in discerning beauty. Experienced mathematicians have been overwhelmed with the beauty of an equation or a mathematical proof which can only puzzle a casual observer. And science itself has the same difficulty. Beauty is obviously of special attributes involving human participation and humans can differ widely in their perceptions.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Much art is deliberately ugly or beauty neutral.
There are subjects that art is used to reach which involve ugliness, necessarily.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

The boundary between art and science is not only permeable, they frequently overlap. They are different ways to explore the universe.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Craft without art is like sex without love. -- taken from a different site, not my own. I can't quote the originator, because the quoter had no name, and he or she did not give credit to form whom he or she heard the quote.

So ask yourself: do I want to love this or that art piece, or do I just want to have sex with it?

Your answer should give you the answer.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Jan Sand wrote: May 10th, 2018, 10:20 am The boundary between art and science is not only permeable, they frequently overlap. They are different ways to explore the universe.
I should have thought that the boundary between art and science always overlaps.

****, I am picking nits.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

Science is integral with understanding and art is integral with feeling. Craft is much more a matter of applied science than applied emotion but there are mixtures of intent that get involved in each area with others so one annot simply separate art frpm either craft or science.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Have been reading Schiller recently. He said something interesting that stuck me as being so obivous I’d never noticed it as a truth before.

Both art and science remain outside of political manipulations. No matter what the physical reality and aesthetic appeal of “beauty” will always override any political suppression. We hear a beautiful piece of harmonious music and will stop to listen (that won’t chnage), we watch TV and cannot deny the benefits and understanding achieved through the scientific endeavor.

Both reasoning and aesthetic appreciation are innate. It is up to us to hone them and no matter what people do good understanding and “beauty” will always shine through the darkness of ignorance and apathy.
AKA badgerjelly
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

Art is not only visual art, it is creative communication through many domains of perception and this communication cannot neglect politics since politics is intimately involved with many avenues of being alive. Of course politics is only one of many areas as is beauty. And art has a much wider spectrum than beauty alone.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Jan Sand wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 5:01 am Art is not only visual art, it is creative communication through many domains of perception and this communication cannot neglect politics since politics is intimately involved with many avenues of being alive. Of course politics is only one of many areas as is beauty. And art has a much wider spectrum than beauty alone.
And taking something someone says as a cut and dry statement with bothering to think of the nuances (or regard the purposeful use of parenthesis) is plainly political.

If one wishes to state that eveyrthing is “art”/“political”/“scientific”/“creativity”/“communication” then one can do so. I’d rather not here thanks ;)
AKA badgerjelly

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream